Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Where Should I Buy Aquarium Gear?

I am a 20 year old college student at UW-Madison who has been privileged with an amazing opportunity. Through a set of amazing circumstances, I have been granted roughly a $3,000 budget to set up an aquarium in my rundown old college house in return that I chronicle my very first aquarium experience. There may or may not be 'commercial' ties to this project of mine, but after reading the reefcentral rules, let us say for our sakes that there is nothing 'commercial' about this.

I have never owned my own aquarium. Not even a little goldfish bowl. As of right now, it looks like I will be acquiring a 180 gallon tank. Talk about overwhelming. I've done a decent amount of research. I've gone and talked with 'experts' at a few local aquarium and specialty stores, and done a fair bit of research online. I've tried my best to familiarize myself with alien words like 'sump' and 'protein skimmer' and 'hydrometer' within the last few weeks. I think once I have all the necessary equipment, an aquarium will be an enjoyable labor to set up, but therein I run into my first problem.

When talking to shops, I can't shake the feeling that they give me inflated estimates of the cost of materials in hopes that I go through them for all of my aquarium needs. Should a stand for a 180 gallon aquarium really cost almost $400? I think I could build one myself in a few days for oh, around about $50. Should lighting (not reeflighting, I will only be making a 'fish only' tank to ease myself into this hobby) cost me $75 for a small footlong fixture?

I'm sure almost anyone reading this will have much more experience than I do purchasing the necessary materials. If anyone has any advice on where best to get all of my aquarium gear for a reasonable price, let me know. Keep in mind that I am starting completely from scratch and know next to nothing about the hobby. I will need EVERYTHING from a tank, to a stand, to a pump, to a sump, to a protein skimmer, to lighting, to sand, to test kits, etc, etc, etc. I would prefer truly honest opinions, though I am sure I will get a few replies from people looking to fatten their own wallets. Oh well, money makes the world go round.

I guess this is my first problem. Once I know how and where to maximize my budget (roughly $3,000 on a 100-200 gallon SW fish only tank), I will definitely check back with my next set of trials and tribulations as I begin chronicling the journey of my new aquarium. I look forward to your helpful replies, and to joining the aquarium community!

Peace, Love, and Protein Skimmers,
Tom Barry

Last edited by TomBarry; 08/27/2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08/27/2007, 03:09 PM
Mortar Target

If you have never set up an aquarium, I strongly suggest you purchase a book or two on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Marine-Aqu.../dp/1890087521

I have this book and it is an excellent resource for information. Very well written and has pictures as well.
Old 08/27/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

I would suggest Drs. Foster and Smith if just for their customer service and good prices. ALso check out their fish selling site liveaquaria.com for a good selection of healthy fish for a good price, and of course The famous customer service.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 08/27/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Hi Tom,

I am admittedly new to this hobby, but the one thing I have learned is: this hobby is expensive!

I have a 29g display with 20L sump and I believe the price tag (so far) is $2000. That price does not include fish, inverts, or corals. Of course mine is being setup for a reef tank so lighting is much more expensive.

Being a FO (fish only) display will cut the price dramatically, unless you decide to go FOWLR (Fish only with Live Rock), because live rock will typically run $3/lb (from local reefers) up to $7-8/lb from LFS/nice online places.

Two typical online places include Marine Depot and Dr. Foster and Smith. If you cruise the forums several other vendors pop up for retro fit lighting, software (fish/inverts, etc). Of course don't forget local reefer's. I'm sure UW-Madison has a local reef club - look them up on RC. Lastly check out the LFS's around the area, again I'm positive UW-Madison has a few saltwater LFS.

Hopefully this will get you started. If nothing else its a bump
Old 08/27/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Look at the sponsor page on reef central

http://www.reefcentral.com/sponsors/
Old 08/27/2007, 03:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by old salty
If you have never set up an aquarium, I strongly suggest you purchase a book or two on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Marine-Aqu.../dp/1890087521

I have this book and it is an excellent resource for information. Very well written and has pictures as well.
Concurred.
Old 08/27/2007, 04:49 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

I might even look at the drygoods sale thread and see if anyone near you is selling something good. save a little money on stuff now and you can put it towards livestock later!
Old 08/27/2007, 06:58 PM
Premium Member

This one is excellent too, hardback, 2005 updates vol's 1 & 2.

"The Reef Aquarium" Science , Art, and Technology by Delbeek and Sprung $58 on Amazon.

great resource and in-depth answers and solutions with various options for each catagory covered.
Old 08/27/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

i will give you the best advice you can get about this subject

BUY IT USED!!!

in my area alone right now there are lots of people dumping their reefs for pennies on the dollar... many people get into this not realizing the LONG TERM financial commitment to MAINTAINING a proper marine aquarium... then once they get started (usually THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS DOWN THE ROAD).. they are forced to sell out bec they simply cannot afford to 'stay afloat' (cannot afford monthly maintance cost! electricity/supplies ETC )... or selling out for who knows what reason moving etc...

by buying it used you can (mostly) avoid the typical 'cycling' that many here on RC are going thru who are setting their tanks up from scratch... if you make a good purchase that is...

buying it used you will spend PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR!
Old 08/28/2007, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

I retract my original post and agree fully with Ronan! You can get some *great* deals on used stuff. I learned that after several of my purchases.
Old 08/28/2007, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Opinion: I would NOT start out with a 150 gal. tank if you've never done this before. Way too big and way too expensive to outfit!!!

I also agree that you need to educate yourself before attempting this hobby. One reason you can pick so much stuff cheap is that alot of people abandon the hobby. They go into this hobby blind and spend a ton of money on the goodies only to find out it takes ALOT of time, patience, and money! But, if you must: a good online store is Marinedepot.com but I agree that buying used it the way to go, but buyer beware!

If I were you, start out with maybe a 55 gal. if not smaller to get your "feet wet". Give it a try and then go from there! Good luck!
Old 08/28/2007, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by prideprops
Opinion: I would NOT start out with a 150 gal. tank if you've never done this before. Way too big and way too expensive to outfit!!!

w/ all due respect
i do disagree w/ you on this one... a larger tank will allow someone more leeway when it comes to water parameters... and atleast if they have some knowl beforehand the larger aquarium should give them the 'room' go grow in more ways then one!... the main thing about getting a larger aquarium for someone is to be sure they know what they are getting into financially... regarding the cost of upkeep as welll as the necessary commitment to maintaining the aquarium good husbandry etc

regards
Old 08/28/2007, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Ronan, the guy said he never even had a goldfish bowl before! I'm just giving some common sense advice!!
Old 08/28/2007, 02:35 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
marinedepot.com

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 08/28/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

For a FO tank, 180 sounds good. It allows him to choose from almost any fish so that his choices aren't limited to gobies or anything particularly small.

But yes, this hobby is incredibly expensive. I'm setting up a 55G reef system and--this is with no livestock at all, a lot of used equipment and diy stuff--I'm looking at around $1250 for a 55G tank. A 55G freshwater cichlid tank (the most demanding freshwater fish) would cost maybe $250 to set up.

It sounds like a lot of those things were overblown to a degree, but if you went out and set up a new, out-of-the-box 180G FO system, expect to pay ~$1000.
Old 08/28/2007, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by prideprops
[B]Opinion: I would NOT start out with a 150 gal. tank if you've never done this before. Way too big and way too expensive to outfit!!!

Ronan, the guy said he never even had a goldfish bowl before! I'm just giving some common sense advice!!
Old 08/28/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

What the!!!!! $1000-3000????
Where to buy stuff? you guys are missing the best place for this guy! OTHER REEFERS!!!-- I never buy from stores anymore, just trade, and buy from people getting out, up/downgrading etc... BUT your circumstance is a little different... good luck tho

if you haven't already, get in touch with your local club:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/fo...?s=&forumid=68

as my .02--- If I had it to do over again I would go with a 55 or a 75 Reef ready as my first tank. T-5s, plumb it into a sump under the tank(20L or 2 10s), get some live sand and rock from a fellow reefer getting out, add some cheto to the fuge with a depot clip on light and wait a month... ready to rock....JMHO... then again I didnt have 3k to work with..lol
Old 08/28/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorta new to the saltwater hobby also...
But I started off with a fish only tank.... way cheaper than a reef set up. *warning* reef tank is the next rapid progression of this addiction... uh, I mean hobby. IMO reef tanks look way cooler.
Definitely buy a book or two. One I liked was "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner ... it was easy to understand and pretty comprehensive.
Online stores I like and use the most because of pricing and quality are Drsfostersmith.com and Aquacave.com. But if you're starting off in the hobby check craigslist and such. Buying used is the way to go.... Yardsale City! If buying a tank glass or otherwise make sure to check for leaks. I know from a bad experience. It made a great planter though.
All I used for lighting for the fish only tank was a nice 48" T8 fixture w/ a nice reflector that I purchased at my local HomeDepot for about $30.
Filtering is up to you. Do your research. Due to money constraints, all I use is a Aquaclear 110 hangon powerfilter and a couple of maxijet 900 w/sponge filter for filtration and waterflow. I use it still today on my reef tank. (waiting on xmas for a sump... I hope)
Towards the end of me doing a fish-only setup, I bought a AquaC remora Pro skimmer. The skimmer was a nice addition to the tank ....it cleaned up the water a lot more.
Like a said I'm still fairly new to hobby and that's my penny and a half. Just do your research and be patient. Patience and thorough research will save you A LOT of money. Trust me. At least you did the right thing and checked here first. ReefCentral is my #1 source for research and advice. Moderators and people here are friendly and informative.(unlike other sites= Reef Snobs!)
Just keep posting and eventually you will make the right decision... or not. Good Luck!

Reef Central rocks!
Old 08/28/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by prideprops

i didnt catch that part... lol

definitely acquaint yourself w/ this hobby as much as you possibly can before you move forward w/ any purchases however they are made!... otherwise like so many before you will be wasting a lot of money and causing a lot of unnecessary damage to livestock etc... if you do purchase an already established system just ask whoever you are purchasing it from THE BASICS that you need to know to keep the system running while you learn more etc... you might even find that you like the hobby so much (ie addiction!) that you decide to take your aquarium w/ you when you finish college!

regards and best of luck!
Old 08/28/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I highly highly reccomend the used goods forums here on ReefCentral. I have bout just about every single piece for my new 150g setup used. Also check for local reef clubs in your area. I have got LOTS of deals through local reefers looking to dump goods. An Example: I've purchased 110lbs of Rock (mix of Live and base) for only $150 through local reefers. Lights $400 Tank $400, Skimmer $130, plus 2 people owe me frags once my tank has cycled. I would reccomend buying your RO/DI unit new. Don't buy anything new unless you have to.
Old 08/28/2007, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

Join the local reef club, you will get expertise thats priceless as well as access to frags,etc.
Old 08/28/2007, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

im not sure about your fish ar anything else that you plant do but i have a 90 gallon tank and stand curently empty but my point is that the stand cost me 280.00 so 400.00 for a 180 gal stand does not sound that unreasonable and i dont know what you are planing on for lighting but 1 a 12 inch light should not cost 75.00 and2 for a 180 gal set up 12 inch light would only be good for a small refugium

15 or 20 gallon reef
Old 08/28/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

True, a stand would be in the $400 range, but look through the DIY forum and its not that hard. I just re finished my stand myself and it doesn't look all the bad. You can see it in my build thread: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1178054