Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/29/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

Good softies for new tank / beginner

Hello all.

Are there certain softies that are better than others for a new tank (and beginner in this hobby) ? How soon after the tank finishes cycling, can you add the first soft corals?

Thanks, Pam
Old 03/29/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

I'd wait at least a week or 2 before you start adding corals after a tank is done cycling.

Some great ones to start with are green star polyps, xenia, kenya tree, pretty much any zoanthid (more commonly called zoas, or zoos), button polyps, etc...pretty much any softy is easy. Oh and mushrooms, they're really easy in my experience. There are those few difficult ones to keep, but all those ones i listed are pretty easy as long as you have at least PC lights and keep your levels right (keep an eye on nitrates)
Old 03/30/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

I think that colts are the best to start with.
Old 03/30/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Thank you both for the suggestions!
Old 03/30/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

idk about colts. I've tried 2 separate stalks of colt and they both just melted w/in like a day of being put in the tank and i did the same thing i always do for corals with it, so i dont know why it did that.
Old 03/31/2007, 01:44 AM
reef obsessed

Along with the above mentioned, I find that toadstools are pretty easy. Just give them light.
Old 03/31/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I also think, that in at least a couple of week after cycling would be better to add snails, shrimps and such. It helps if you have a really live live rock, live live sand, or access to a free or a lowest cost macroalgae or coral frags. In my tanks corals feel better, it there is already a lot of different life forms.

Easy corals, bright colors:
(with alkalinity 8.5-11 dKH, or my mushrooms don't feel good), green star polyps, white xenia, green hairy mushroom (big!), bright red muchroom (likes light), LPS (easy) - bright green candycane, hammers, frrogspawn (the last two sting, so put them downstream from all others), and the big open brain type - bottom left - scolymia (very big and very hardy, comes in different colors).

Algae: blue ball (Ochtodes or Hypnea pannosa, not sure), red fern kelp, red gracillaria, chaetomorpha (noodle algae, harmless), caulerpa (better to keep it in the pocked bag, invasive).
Old 03/31/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Your tank looks GREAT. Like the corals that you picked. The red mushrooms are awesome. I love the grapes too. Good idea about adding shrimp and snails first . I know I have to patient. Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally posted by dendro982
I also think, that in at least a couple of week after cycling would be better to add snails, shrimps and such. It helps if you have a really live live rock, live live sand, or access to a free or a lowest cost macroalgae or coral frags. In my tanks corals feel better, it there is already a lot of different life forms.

Easy corals, bright colors:
(with alkalinity 8.5-11 dKH, or my mushrooms don't feel good), green star polyps, white xenia, green hairy mushroom (big!), bright red muchroom (likes light), LPS (easy) - bright green candycane, hammers, frrogspawn (the last two sting, so put them downstream from all others), and the big open brain type - bottom left - scolymia (very big and very hardy, comes in different colors).

Algae: blue ball (Ochtodes or Hypnea pannosa, not sure), red fern kelp, red gracillaria, chaetomorpha (noodle algae, harmless), caulerpa (better to keep it in the pocked bag, invasive).
Old 04/02/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Try some mushrooms, star polyps and some zoas to start with first then try others.
Old 04/04/2007, 11:39 PM
Moved On

Try mushrooms as they're very hardy.
Old 04/04/2007, 11:40 PM
Moved On

I would not try polyp as they're very sensitive with water, ph
Old 04/05/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I would not try polyp as they're very sensitive with water, ph
which ones? Just cuz they're somewhat sensitive to stuff doesnt mean that they're not hardy. Not that i really know of any that are very sensitive. Take star polyps for example. They're the hardest thing to kill and can grow in pretty low light even. But they are picky about the water a little and if its a bit off, they'll close for a while. But your water has to be pretty dang bad to kill them off. Same with other stuff like moon polyps/button polyps/whatever..