Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/10/2008, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kstallbe
What would the experienced Koralia users recommend I get for a 46g bow expecting some SPS? Two #3's?

plus your return, that should work.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

I use 2 korilia 4s in a 90 gallon. They run well on a seio controller and provide plenty of flow. I also use a 3 on a 40g long frag tank (4feet long). I'm very happy with them. If I tried I could afford a Tunze set up but $1500 for powerheads,I won't do it.

Old 01/10/2008, 04:26 PM
Movin On Up

I emailed Frank last night at 10:00pm after reading what mbbuna had said. I got an email back already. Talk about service!!!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 01/10/2008, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JediReefer
Another vote on the positive side. IMO they are the only alternative to tunze. And I think the vortech is in a league of its own.

We are talking about a $30 ph here, I think the build quality, flow, and service is ridiculous for that price. Cant say anything bad.

You show me where you get a magnet mount, low velocity wide flow, swivel sphere base, and 1200gph @ 8watts for $45.
That about sums it all up! No need to say anymore. I am a proud owner of 2 of these Koralias. A #2 and a #3, for the money..... Can't beat emBrad
Old 01/10/2008, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

I ordered two K3's for my 29g tank today.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

I ordered two K3's for my 29g tank today. Can't wait to receive them!
Old 01/10/2008, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

WOW! Two 3's! Woo Hoo! I did the same, but for my 46g. Foster and Smith is having a sale for their 25th anniversary
Old 01/10/2008, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
WOW! Two 3's! Woo Hoo! I did the same, but for my 46g. Foster and Smith is having a sale for their 25th anniversary
I got them on ebay for $70.88 shipped for both.
I was looking at fish online and there was a lot of fish that I like but can't fit them all into a 29g so even though my tank is only 3 months old, I'm already looking into upgrading! I have a cracked 55g in my backyard that I'm considering fixing for this purpose and those K3's will come in handy.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MSU Fan

This is a great value for the price. It is no Tunze, but you aren't paying for that either.
I know I'm in the Newbie section and most of the veiwers hear are just starting out in the hobby but every time I hear "Great Value", "Can't beat it for the Price" , "Your not Paying all That Money" talk drives me nuts. Don't get me wrong all Iv'e ever owned were Hagen's, Rio's and the cheapie Aquatrader pumps for the past 12 years before I bought the Tunze's, it's like having the Mercedes and BMW owners watching the Kia / Scion owners jumping for joy about their cars, not to be a snob but once you drive one you save up and buy one. Everyone can have Tunze or Vortec's you just have to be patient wait and save up until you've got the cash for it- you will be happy that you did.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

I hear ya corals 4 bills, but I'm not sure what that cost really provides you with? Obviously they are nicer, slimmer, maybe quieter designs. Maybe even a bit more relaible. I've been in the hobby for about 5 years. And what I notice is that you don't always need to pay more to get the same results. Riddle me this: What do you get for about 20x the price?

On some level, good flow is good flow. No? I'm not sure what the qualitative difference between Tunze/Vortec versus Koralias really is. People say they are "better." I would like that to be unpacked.

What does everybody mean? That they can be controlled with a wavemaker? Well, I'm not sure that is significant in that many people here seem to be able to keep whatever SPS they desire without one.

Would love to hear your input (then maybe Ill save up )

Keith
Old 01/11/2008, 05:00 PM
Addicted to the Reef

this isnt a talk about tunze vs koralia
koralias are a great choice ( while watitng to afford tunze;s lol)
sure they dont have all them fancy controllers and are alil bigger.. but for the money who cares. i have one in my prop tank( really didnt feel like blowing over 150 bucks for a tunze to do the same job

i like the mjmods as well tho. but koralias are still a great product very reliable very low wattage

currently im trying to make a controller for all ac prop pumps.. kinda stalled because money needs to be sepent else where.
it is based on a pic microcontroller outputing to a pair of solidstate relays on a 12 volt line. then passing that into a transformer get a variable hz sine wave at 110 volts. ( using old pc transformer mostlikely)

"to many tanks not enough r/o"
Old 01/11/2008, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

Well we can go back to the car reference as relating to quality materials and construction, Like I said in the past that I were to set up a small tank I would try one, I would say it this way, if i had a 30 to 55 gallon tank I would go Koralia, if I had a 60 to 300 I would use Tunze anything over 300 you need Sequence or better. So, I can have a quality pump that puts out a min. varitable flow or 600 GPH to a max. flow of 3200 GPH with a wavemaker and a sensor that detects when the lights that go out and automaticly lowers the flow to 30% power at night and has a feed 8 minute feed button, I can go on but then I would have to walk to my tank again . Anyways I stopped buying O.K. equipment and started buying the best, I'm in this forever
Old 01/11/2008, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Mmmmm.....that does so luxurious... does that also come with leather seats?
Old 01/11/2008, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

You Mock me sir? I will have my driver pummel you
Old 01/11/2008, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

I'll confuse him with some Grey Poupon! But for real, I checked out your photos and that is one helluva schnazzy setup. Also, super neat. Kudos! Guess you applied those GC skills to your tank!
Old 01/11/2008, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

THE Reefkeeper 2 does all that you mentioned corals b 4 bills.

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
You Mock me sir? I will have my driver pummel you

lol. Does your driver maintain your aquarium for you also?

Quote:
What does everybody mean? That they can be controlled with a wavemaker?
Koralias need a more advanced wavemaker in order for them to work properly. Regular wavemakers turn powerheads on and off which is bad for a Koralia and better controllers like the Seio controller only lowers the voltage to the Koralia so that it doesn't shut off completely. Think of it like a dimmable light bulb.

Last edited by leoslizards; 01/11/2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

I have 2-4's, they been great, espicially for the price.

I wouldn't use them for wavemakers though, The propellers sometimes stick when being turned back on. May just need cleaned but I don't know for sure.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I'll confuse him with some Grey Poupon! But for real, I checked out your photos and that is one helluva schnazzy setup. Also, super neat. Kudos! Guess you applied those GC skills to your tank!
I wasn't going for schazzy but now that I can spell schnazzy I will officially call my sump "SCHNAZZY" . As a side note my clown that Iv'e had for 11 years has never laid eggs untill I installed my tunzes, I think it's because of the wave simulation that spurred it on. So for two years she lays eggs every three weeks like clockwork.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Hey corals b 4 bills you talk about tunzes like they are gods gift to man.I run tunzes also & Koralis if i could get my 1500 back for them i would . they didnt do anymore than the koralis do except make my pocket 1500 lighter. which i could spend on livestock. I run a sps tank & few lps . You have alot of overkill ni a mostly lps dominated tank. Like they say opinions are like viper cars everyone has one , oops you dont you have exspensive overrated equipment . LOL.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

Well if you read my previous posts all I owned were crap pumps untill I ponied up and bought real pumps since then my tank has blossomed from an average tank to one that I can be proud of so if you think that I think that there gifts from god then I guess I do. Even though Iv'e been in the hobby for many years and don't have but a few SPS doesn't mean that my eqiupment can't be the best that I can afford. But I'm glad that you had a chance to look into my gallery N.Y. and give me your opinion.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Wow so many opinons with alot of good advice and i do agree i have #2 for spor flow and had worked great and would reccommed one but to many put the reef tanks water quality and flow in jepordy with out the right amount. 2 #4's in a 120 or was it a 150 i saw in one thread is way to low. A another used for a wavemaker is always a regular topic in RC as they just done keep the job done.
They are a great tool in reef keeping and have there place in reefing but keep in mind its the amount a flow the whl tank recieves not just the open areas you see.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

I like your tank it is real nice , i was just saying that the equipment we have to bye or are exspected to bye is way to exspensive & way overrated. I look at articles from the first reef tanks & some of them look better than some of ours & we just keep buying this exspensive equipment & we will keep doing it because we all do me very much included , I have prob $ 20000 in my 220 . i guess it will never end , sorry just venting , i hate the prices they charge for this equipment $10.00 piece of plastic&motor cost us $1500. WOW again nice tank.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

I have a 3 # 3 I love them. I have a algae problem right now I wrapped a filter around them to help filter out the algae along with chemical treatment. Just 1 more use.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

love mine also
Old 01/12/2008, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

I use 2 4s with a Seio controller on 90 and it' very fine.
To those who equate best with most expensive why stop at Tunze and not Vortech or Mercedes and BMW and not a Bentley or Rolls Royce. People who drive KIAs are entitled to like them every bit as much as those driving other imports.Personaly I like my GMC Sierra more than a bmw.
As far as the Tunze causing the clownfish to lay eggs, I can hear the new marketing slogan,"Tunze lays an egg".