Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

Pics of the new setup

Hello everyone. I redid my tank and think it is finally nice enough to post some pics on reefecentral. What do you think?

Old 12/04/2007, 12:20 AM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

cool pics Sayian! thanx!
Old 12/04/2007, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

Nice! What camera do you use?
Old 12/04/2007, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Thanks I am glad you like them. Oh and I use a Canon 40D.
Old 12/04/2007, 03:36 AM
Premium Member

Thanks! How do u like your Canon D40? What lens do u use?
Old 12/04/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I love my Canon. The build quality, image quality and the setup are great and it is fun to use. My lens selection is lacking though. I only have the kit lens Canon 28-135mm IS. It is a great lens but for tank shooting I want a high mm macro. Then I won't have to get right up on the tank like I do now, plus the clarity would be so much better.
Old 12/04/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

This is the little hammer coral that could. I thought it was gone and when I went to chuck it I found a tiny nub. I turned it over and it started growing.

This coral and my frogspawn bleached on me and are finally coming back. I accidentally crushed the center polyp on this head a few weeks back and thought I had killed it.

This detail is native resolution. I like the sheen on the front fins. This shot was taken with F13, ISO 100, for 1.3 seconds.

Pyro just hanging in the water with the pumps off. Letting me get a high aperture F18, 1/10th second shot. To get him with a higher aperture I upped the ISO to 1600 then reduced the noise in photoshop.

Does anybody know about the slime that forms at the mouth of a feather duster at feeding time? You can see it floating off of him and it looks like it is mostly made of cyclop-eeze. Are they too big for him is he getting enough food with that floating off? Or is that just the excess? The mix also contains Kent Micro-Vert, PhytoPlex, and ZooPlex.

Last edited by Saiyan; 12/05/2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

Fish ID please

nice pictures.

BTW. what type of fish is that?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...l/IMG_4229.jpg
Old 12/06/2007, 01:07 AM
Metal Lives

Nice pictures, i love watching the smallest frags in my tank grow and grow.

BTW the cyclopeze is going to be to big for the feather duster to eat, they are mainly a phytoplankton filter feeder. Each of their "feathers" is coated with that mucus you see, and when larger particles of food or sand are channeled down to its mouth they become separated from the phytoplankton which gets eaten, and the rejected particles are either used to build up their tube or are just cast back into the water column
Old 12/06/2007, 01:08 AM
Metal Lives

Re: Fish ID please

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisChow

BTW. what type of fish is that?
Firefish or Nemateleotris magnifica
Old 12/06/2007, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Fish ID please

Quote:
Originally posted by New_Noob
Firefish or Nemateleotris magnifica
And a relatively cheap addition to the tank. I have tried to keep one before but he was introduced after some other fish and they picked on him to death. This one was the first fish in the tank.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply about the featherduster. This is what I suspected however in the past when I have kept a featherduster they have always died. I wasn't feeding. And a lot younger I might add. Where I am at now I will not keep any animal that I can't keep very happy. So I want to make sure that he is well fed.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:58 PM
Keeper of Tangs

the fish pictures are my favorite.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:00 PM
Keeper of Tangs

firefish is what i meant to say sorry...
Old 12/06/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

My new Alpheid shrimp for one of my gobbies hopefully. Who knows when I will see him again. He's about 3/4 of an inch long.

2 more new fish. I already forgot what they are called. Any help?

I thought this was cool this is the bottom of my featherdusters tube. I had to hold my camera upside down to get the flash where I wanted it.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Photography is hard

I would just like to say that I am a dslr novice and I appreciate all the great advice that is given out on this forum from the expierienced photographers and reefers. I like to share things I have learned and only do so out of exicitement for the hobby. I have learned from getting my dslr that having taken photography in HS and having used cameras my whole life a photographer does not make. With a P&S camera you are generally lucky if you get the exact shot you were looking for and that limits your ability in the end. With a dslr's response and image quality you have no one or thing to blame if you miss a shot but yourself. Pushing the button on a dlsr is more like pulling the trigger on a gun then the button on a point and shoot. Once you get used to the camera or a gun you know exactly where it is going to fire and how fast you can go. Point and shoots not so much. I am very happy with my DSLR and it has taught me how much I don't know about photography and how much more fun and challenging it can be with a dslr. When I first got it all my pictures looked so much better then with my old camera that I thought "this is easy". Now after 5000 shots I have seen how much better you can get as you start to understand all that your camera can do, and how different lenses can make you even better.

With my aquarium I have learned that all you have to do is care and do your maintenace which isn't that bad and you can be successfull without spending thousands of dollars. And I have some awsome ideas for when I am able to spend a chunck of change on my upgrade thanks to the people of this site. If it wasn't for this site and the magazine I don't know where the hobby would be. Again thanks for the site and the advice and I hope to be a valuable member of the forum in the years to come.
Old 12/08/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Very Nice!
Old 12/10/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

FTS?
Old 12/11/2007, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

pics

Awesome pics! Very nice close-ups!