Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Talking Yay my anemone and clown fish are on the way!

On the fedex truck now as we speak. The anemone is a purple tip h. crispa, and 2 pink skunk clown fish. This is the fist time I ever ordered from Reefermadness, and I'm always squimish whenever Fedex delivers anything. No matter how good the packaging is, there's always a hole somewhere.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Picture afterward.
Old 12/21/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Ooo exciting! I wish I could order from the states... but I don't think the critters would be too happy about that.
I hope they arrive safe and sound for you... pics pics!
Old 12/22/2007, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

I've had a couple of great experiences with Reefermadness, good luck though!
Old 12/23/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

Ok pictures are on the way. The clowns are gorgeous, the anemone doesnt' look what the picture looked like.
http://www.reefermadness.us/InvertPa...tis_cripsa.htm

As soon as my pictures upload into photobucket. I'll post them. In the meantime I have a question. The anemone looks in good shape except his mouth has not closed yet. My tank is not new and is approaching the 1 year mark in Feb. Is it from the shipping? Well the mouth close in a couple of days?
Old 12/23/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Picture of the foot, just in case anyone wants to see

Old 12/23/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Anemone is just bleached, probably from stress of shipping. It will be fine. Just feed it 1-2xwk with silversides or shrimp soaked in selcon or similar and it will color up. Mine looked same when I first got it (different supplier) and it colored up beautifully. Prob will take several wks to do so.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Awww cutie clowns...and the nem will look fab once it settles in. I haven't ordered a nem online before but I've seen a lot of 'recovery from shipping threads' and they always look pretty bad when they arrive.
Old 12/23/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Well the clowns are eating like crazy now, I can't wait for qt to end so I can add them, if the nem is going to take longer than qt to make a full recovery, should I wait to add the clowns? Although it's no guarantee that they will host it. I'm qting for 6 weeks. I took a gamble on the nem, b/c I didn't think I could set up a good enough qt for it, lighting and such.

We turned the halides off to help it settle. Keep the halides off, or turn them back on?
Old 12/23/2007, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Keep the halides off for now.... maybe turn them on for an hour or two later this afternoon/evening. If you have a diffuser, it would be better than hitting the nem with halides after a day in the dark. Increase the lighting to four hours tomorrow, and if everything is looking good, keep increasing to what you consider to be normal hours in your tanks. Just try not to shock the nem with the lighting (especially if there is no where to hide).
Old 12/23/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Well no Selcon at the LFS's, but today he ate a piece of silverside. I guess see what that goes, then start feeding him 2x a day. I took pictures of the feeding. If anyone wants to see.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:22 PM
Lazy reefer

Don't feed it too much. Two times a week, not a day or it will just throw it back up. Let it settle down some first.
Old 12/23/2007, 11:52 PM
problem algae grower

i have the same anemone, just ate some shrimp, and has settled nicely, it seems almost impossible to get one of these nems that is not bleached, they must chuck their zooxanthelle very easily.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Mine settled quick to, put it in the bottom of the tank close to a rock and it immediately attached and stayed put. My LFS sells them sometimes, and refuses to give any guarantee on them, and I asked if they survived in their tanks ok, and they said half die in the first 24 hours. So I'm happy with what I got. I got a larger nem than the LFS and zero damage. Today the mouth is closed, nice and tight.

Thanks Orion for setting me straight. Not sure how I read /day instead of what ever one said /week.