Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/19/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Adding more clowns!?

Is it a good idea to add more clowns to my tank? I already have two percs, and I was thinking about adding some others but I know that they're territorial. The two percs that I have in there were introduced to my tank at the same time so they don't bother each other at all...

Even if I could get more clowns, I can't right now because of this damn Diatom stuff growing in my tank. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO RID OF IT!?!?!??!

ALSO...

What kind of anenomes will suit my percs? Something that isn't too hard to take care of though, I'm still new to this hobby. I want something pretty colorful.

thatrascal.blogspot.com

visit my art blog, and let me know what you think!
Old 10/19/2007, 12:38 PM
forever newbie

It's not a good idea to add more percs. Like you said, they are way to territorial and will kill any other clown. Especially in a 29. The diatoms are just part of your new tank syndrome. What type of cleanup crew do you have.
Your tank is still to new for an anemone. Anemones need a tank that is established at least for 6 months if not a yr. Clowns won't necessarily host in an anemone anyway. My clowns took a yr and half before they hosted in hairy mushrooms. Now they host in a frogspawn and a hammer.
Old 10/19/2007, 03:17 PM
Moved In

I agree with skippy on all counts. Did you cycle your tank? How long has it actually been set up?

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/19/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

I also agree with the above. IMO diatoms are a very good indicator of the water params not being stable, new tank.

How much light do you have?

You can keep pairs of clowns together but it depends on the size of the tank and how it is aquascaped. IMO you shouldn't have multiple pairs of mature clowns in anything under a 120 gallon, however some people get lucky.
Old 10/19/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

Skip the anemone until you have alot more experience, and a larger tank. Your clowns will be just as happy in frogspawn, hammer, or torch coral.
Old 10/19/2007, 09:19 PM
Slowly Stocking

Quote:
Originally posted by Lance M.
I also agree with the above. IMO diatoms are a very good indicator of the water params not being stable, new tank.

How much light do you have?

You can keep pairs of clowns together but it depends on the size of the tank and how it is aquascaped. IMO you shouldn't have multiple pairs of mature clowns in anything under a 120 gallon, however some people get lucky.
More like a 300 gallon.

Check the red house.
Old 10/21/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Keeping more than one pair in a tank all depends on the fish,I have seen three pair in a 75 and he had no problems. Each pair had it's own anemone to host.
Old 10/21/2007, 02:30 PM
Slowly Stocking

Quote:
Originally posted by SNAKEMANVET
Keeping more than one pair in a tank all depends on the fish,I have seen three pair in a 75 and he had no problems. Each pair had it's own anemone to host.
Short term, yes. Long term, absolutely not.

Check the red house.
Old 10/21/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slakker
More like a 300 gallon.
What about a 120 gallon tank (custom made of course ) that is 144''x18''x12'' with an anemone at each end and a pair of Ocellaris clowns hosting each one. The rocks aquascaped so that there are several rock "walls" along the length of the tank. Now tell me that won't work long term, especially since it is rare for clowns to venture ~3 meters (<10 feet) away from their host anemone in the wild.
Old 10/21/2007, 10:50 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Short term, yes. Long term, absolutely not.
and you make that assumption on how many yrs of personal experience?? I've got a spawning pair of Maroons and a spawning pair of Clarkii that have been together for over 6 yrs, their 180 was taken down 3 yrs ago for some stand rebuilding and they stayed in a 75 for over two yrs together and after i added a carpet to that tank they even started sharing the nem. not trying to be derogatory here but you post allot of uneducated comments about clowns and anemones I've noticed.
Old 10/22/2007, 01:34 AM
Slowly Stocking

Uneducated, says the guy who thinks two years is long term.

I don't know what you've got against clowns, but your advice and examples lead to dead fish. Having Maroon and Clarkii clowns in a 75 gallon tank is irresponsible and reckless. Just because it worked for you, for a while, doesn't mean it's the way things should be done.

As for personal experience...I'm not about to be idiotic about my livestock just to be able to tell you that I've had multiple pairs of clowns and it didn't work out. I've done my homework ahead of time.

Check the red house.

Last edited by Slakker; 10/22/2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 10/22/2007, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Watch out, uneducated post coming.....

My tank is only three months old and i have 2 True percula's that i bought separately, introduced them to the tank together and they paired, then added a GBTA and they live in that thing 24/7.

By the way the anemone is doing great!! And its only a 60 gallon cube.
2 - True Bali RBTA - 6, and 8 inches i think
Sweet Green Carpet - 12 inches
Old 10/22/2007, 07:07 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Uneducated, says the guy who thinks two years is long term.
seams your reading and comprehension is a big lacking there kid, they've been together six yrs, a year for every month you've been keeping a marine tank and the only homework you've been doing is grade school related.

let's take a look into your tank at all the experience you've got...........

nope, i don't see much at all.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:08 AM
Slowly Stocking

Do me a favor, would you? Proof read your posts before you try to insult my intelligence.

And you're right, Calfo, Shimek, and the like are definitely "grade school related." I'm sure they wouldn't know anything relevant.

Check the red house.
Old 10/22/2007, 12:22 PM
Moved On

Quote:
...........before you try to insult my intelligence.
your posts do that all on their own.
Old 10/22/2007, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

ok kids, recess is over, lets get back to the questions at hand shall we. PLAY NICE
2 - True Bali RBTA - 6, and 8 inches i think
Sweet Green Carpet - 12 inches
Old 10/26/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Hey slakker,

I put an anemone (RTBA) in my tank after 3 weeks. It is going on 5+ years. The mother has split several times & the clones have split. I do maybe 3-4 water changes a year.
And I am using power compacts. I only change my bulbs once a year.

How do you like them apples?

On another note:
JetCat,

How about some pics of the clowns sharing the nem?

I just got a carpet because it was a steal. Idiots at PetCo charged me $6.99. They thought it was a condy.

I was thinking of adding some more clowns. I have two cin clowns that are a mated pair. They always stay within 1/3 of the tank. Seldom if ever stray far from the group of anemones.

I was thinking about getting some Clarkii. Do you think they would hold up? I think the Maroons might be too aggressive for the cinnamon Clowns.

Any thoughts?

I have a 125 gallon.
Old 10/26/2007, 07:20 PM
forever newbie