Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

corals for sale (not frags)

I'll be heading down to puppy center Sat, so if your intrested LMK and you can meet me there. All corals are on the large side. It's a little hard to tell in pics

$25 yellow leather

$30 finger leather

$50 green sinularia with 4 giant green hairy mushrooms

few more to come
Old 01/04/2008, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

green Echinophyllia $25

Monster xxl colt..The clown in pic is 4" to give you an idea of size $30

Old 01/04/2008, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

hahah WAIT. you can't give a days notice!

why don't you sell them for what the store was gonna give you for them? or like $5 more?

i wish i could take a few now, but i'm downgrading for a few months to raise some fry. i'll let some friends know now.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

PM sent!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

thats the plan to bring them to PC. As soon as they hit there tanks the price is going to be double what I'm asking.
As for selling them for what the store is going to give me. Thats out of the question. Their a business and I understand how that work, but if another reefer thinks I'm going to sell over $300 (retail) worth of coral for 50 bucks, their sadly mistaken.I joined a reef club to learn and get great deals. Not to expect everything for $5-$10 dollars. BTW This rant isn't directed at anyone in general.
Old 01/04/2008, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

dchec pm returned
Old 01/04/2008, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

well me personally, i try to promote the hobby and the local fish stores, self owned, self run businesses, the working man and woman.

you're right, the price is gonna double and triple, but what's the "good deal" if you go to puppy center if they pay you the same price. corals can always be fragged and given away at those clubs.

support the hobby of reefkeeping, not money. $5 from me is equal to $5 from puppy center. well anyways, good luck with your sale.

i'll tell you how the business works they don't actually need YOUR corals because if you don't want to give them, they can help destroy reefs by ordering 5 of them at wholesale and sell those for what they want. if you ever get the chance, get your hands on puppy centers wholesale prices. i've seen a few as i have a bunch of friends working at those stores.

volitans $10
mushrooms/ricordeas $1-$15
acros $1-$75 ** but sold for $40 to $275

it happens all the time. any livestock or anything i can get rid of goes to the closest NON big business store. Sorry, that's just me personally
Old 01/05/2008, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

I understand what your saying and agree for the most part,but not everyone has the time or space to frag and grow coral. As for the price lists. Most people don't see or understand the hidden charges that LFS have to deal with. Here's a part of a list from an exporter I used to deal with (2 Days old).
Dear Dorran,

Attached our Price list and export condition :
Box Charge $ 9.00
Cites Charge $ 1.00 / pcs
Handling charge $ 150 / every shipment
Discount 25 %
weather your getting it from an exporter of local wholesaler it all trickles down ...that didn't include carrier charges either, so that $10 volitan isn't really $10
Old 01/05/2008, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

Retail stores have to pay for their rent, utilities, employees, benefits, etc...it does not matter if it's PC or anyone else...they have to mark up to stay in biz.

That being said, I think Naso's prices are more than reasonable. I'd buy some softies but my 5" cowrie would eat them!

If people spend x amount of time, $ utilities, etc for a healthy piece, then it's worth it.

As for myself, all I want to do when I frag is offest the cost of growing the stuff out, and create more opportunities to buy more stuff for similiar prices at which I am selling.

just my 2 cents.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:35 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

electric bills are in the thousands, where are you getting these numbers from? they are sooooooo general, seeing as you gave a range of 75 dollars..... so basically what youre saying means nothing. and how are LFS's destroying reefs? itsw so much cheaper/easier to get aquacultured corals, than have them shipped from across the world.... plus aquacultured do alot better in tanks than wild

do you think you get everything at the same price the store/business bought it for?

how much are you paying for gas? do you think the gas stations are charging you exactly what they buy it for?

dont say you know business if you dont have a clue what youre talking about. i know nothing about running a business, except common sense, which is in order to live, you need income, in order to get income, you sell things.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/05/2008, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

LISTEN....I love to hear different points of view...but chill with the aggressive tone. We are just talking here. Learn to disagree respectfully..thx
Old 01/05/2008, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

thanks for that NASO.

the main point and large point of my rant was that $5 is $5. next time you go to your pet stores, be sure to ask how many are aquacultured. and then ask for the proof. facilities that aquaculture corals and fish send cards out with their shipment to help reassure the buyer that it's aquacultured. and i agree, they must mark up in order to remain in business.

think about that list you put up NASO.

$9 a box. you can but a styrofoam box for less than $2 if you buy more than 200.

it's not $150 per handling YOUR shipment but everything that they receive but everything they export (sometimes daily, sometimes hourly) if it cost them $150 to ship then how on this planet would they make any money. it'd cause 10x more to ship than the actual product would be. but if you're sending out 100 packages and paying $150 then it's a much easier deal.

and as far as mr pink floyd. if he sells them to a pet store then he makes FAR LESS money than he would individually. please don't come up here with a stupid rant about gas. because any person who heats their home looks for the cheapest oil price. u don't have common sense, because common sense would be to get the most money out of the situation. if i want to buy a $100 frag for $15 and the store wants to buy it for $5 then wouldn't my deal be better? use your common sense before talking trash over the internet and trying to make people feel dumb. No one ever said don't sell things and no matter what he sells them for it is INcome.

Naso, I'm saying don't get beat out of a few dollars. see what the petstore will give you for them, and then add a few dollars again to see if someone in the hobby wants to BUY them (i thought i said it before, i guess mr pink floyd wasn't paying attention) try to get as much money as possible

And mr pink floyd, before you decide to make a scene on this forum, go into your local fish store, not petsmart, petco, puppy center, and talk to them about how much they mark items up. i went to all pets club (which i love) and they had ricordeas $45 a frag, no matter what. went to magic pets, $20 a frag. MP told me they bought the frags for about $5 each, All Pets told me the same thing. get your facts straight, and ask a few questions before posting (or at least consult your friends)

again, NASO, good luck with the sale
Old 01/05/2008, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Kyd-
You need to relax a bit and perhaps get your facts straight before you start throwing stones around the board.
#1- They are Naso's corals and his prices are very reasonable for the pieces he is giving. They are also his and he is welcome to do with them what he wants. People who put corals up for "too much" don't sell them. Think about it, what makes one coral worth $5 and another worth $100? We decide by buying or not buying it. I don't like Duncans but lots of people do, thus they are worth lots. You don't like the price, don't buy.
#2- Mike works at PC, I'm guessing he has a pretty good idea about mark-ups.
#3- The air freight that most pet stores use to get their stuff is usually around $150 per shipment. Most airlines make you pay for the first 100lbs regardless and then add on from there. So, for bigger orders it can easily climb over $150.
#4- Having worked at a shop and been in the hobby for ~20yrs, I have never seen acro frags go for $1 or $1 rics, wholesale or not, but that is really not important.
The main message is that the club, and the board, are for sharing information to promote the hobby and offer a venue for people to trade and sell their extra dry goods, corals, fish etc... that they have. It is not a place for bashing. Thanks.
Jon
Old 01/05/2008, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

Good point ....The teach has spoken. End of conversation.
Old 01/05/2008, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

$50 green sinularia with 4 giant green hairy mushrooms Sold
Old 01/05/2008, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Good luck with the sales!
Old 01/05/2008, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Thx Jon..Hey you were supposed too look into somthing for me
Old 01/05/2008, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

PM me...
Old 01/05/2008, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

haha you guys still aren't getting the POINT!!!!!!!

im not saying the prices are unreasonable, im saying try to get the most money out of them! if puppy center is gonna buy them for what you're selling them, THATS GREAT! but it's not a GOOD DEAL unless you get the most money you can! which is why i said see what PC is gonna pay and then add a few dollars so you at least get more than the minimum!

and to fitch, im perfectly calm. all my facts are in order. i have seen $1 rics and acros once you sign a contract to buy them for the year at a certain amount each shipment. i don't care about markups. and you're talking about big orders. you think they ship 3 lbs of boxes for 100 lbs? just guess. they'd be out of business in 3 months haha.

i have not "bashed" NASO one time. I just recommended that he get the most of his product. if you've ever sold anything to a fish store, you know that you don't get much. and the reason being is that they don't need your product because they can get it cheaper than you're offering.

i offered the onyx clowns i'm raising to the pet store "so that they can sell them at the minimum price possible so that newbies can enter the hobby for a cheap price and beautiful fish." my exact words, they offered me $5 a fish, which is cool. asked them "how much will you sell them for?" the response $75 a piece. I'm not saying it's all stores, but that's how chains work
Old 01/05/2008, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Does anyone really disagree with me, that he should try to get more money than the store is offering? am i confused?
Old 01/05/2008, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

JMO if a store will give you 10 and you put it on here for 15 then both reefers help to promote the hobby and each other. This is good because keeps people in the hobby get an assortment of coral that cant afford the LFS and allows for future frags.

BUT

It is also good to give back to a LFS that helps you when you needed it. I only support one (very local) store so far since the lfs when I first started took major advantages and far less knowledge. Yes lfs has huge overhead but the one I support has always taken their time (when busy) to talk about my tank (spending money or not) without ever charging me. With that said I think it is best to give back to both the fellow hobbist and the LFS. Just wouldn't sell my stuff to any ol lfs it would have to be one that has been good for me.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Good point..thats why I travel an hour to PC. Joe takes the time to answer all my questions.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:02 AM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

sorry for aiding in all the arguing in this thread naso. good luck with the sales, and those were good prices too!

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/05/2008, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Do you still have any corals left for sale ?????
Old 01/05/2008, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

wnecbubba74 ygpm