Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/26/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

I think the flow he has will keep all the heaters working because water will not be in contact with each heater very long.
Old 09/26/2007, 01:28 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally posted by kawicivic
I think the flow he has will keep all the heaters working because water will not be in contact with each heater very long.
That is the idea. Control will be by my ACIII turning on 4 at a time. My highest priority is heating water FAST in a emergency situation. Also since my SW reservoir is outside I need to heat a 105 gallon WC through the system rather than spend the energy to keep it hot 24/7. Again the hayward actuated valve will close the returns and let water circulate through the filtration equipment and the sump while temperature adjustments are made by heater unit and chiller and then open the valve through the UV to the display when temperature is in range.

So basically I have 2 main lines on my return. Heater/chiller/filtration loop and then UV/returns. Hopefully it will all make sense when I start the plumbing. Since the wife is 7 months pregnant I have to have all the plumbing roughed in and then she needs to leave for a day while I glue. Due to this, the plumbing planning process is far longer than the assembly. No time to run to the hardware store for just one more union....

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 09/26/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

oof. the tank is a bit of a beast. makes my little 30g look like a .... 1/4 of a sump. haha

nice work. looking gd x
Old 09/27/2007, 12:14 AM

Thanks NWD!

Got the rest of the heaters today, install, label, clean up the wires, done.

Tank is quitely cycling away. Starting to see a little diatoms on the rock and the skimmer is hackin out some nasty goo. I'll get the snails and hermits in there early next week.

DSCN0591

Got my V-diddy toys today:

DSCN0589

Running well so far

Sooooo....they don't make filter socks like I want. I sense an arts and crafts project coming soon.....for the wife

DSCN0586

3 yards of 100 micron polypropylene filter felt.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:07 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

The heater unit came out nice.

I can see how you would need so many heaters in line like that when bringing a large water change to temp in the dead of winter in WV.

Great idea! Hope it works well for you.
Old 09/28/2007, 04:05 PM

Just ordered inverts for Tuesday:

40 nerite
75 astrea
200 nassarius
75 blue leg hermits
100 ceriths
6 conch
60 reef hermits
4 emeralds
6 peppermints

Old 09/28/2007, 11:39 PM

Started making my indoor chiller an outdoor one. First took off the front panel and clipped the wires:

DSCN0592

Made a 30' jumper cable (still needs to get wrapped):

DSCN0593

Closed it up and covered the hole where the control panel was with some scrap PVC sheet and marine goop:

DSCN0594

I am going to mount the display to the front of the power center along with the tunze multicontroller and the vortech display thinggy's.

Old 09/30/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Dan,

Do you have any plans to keep clams?

Steve
Old 09/30/2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surg_xero
Dan,

Do you have any plans to keep clams?

Steve
No clams, I like my angels and they like my clams.

I am getting ready to transfer livestock. I don't have any filtration equipment built yet but, I do have a 105 gallon waterchange system built so that will do. We hit the under 100 days till baby is due marker and I need to get on with the transfer. So ready or not........well it is ready, tank is cycled and the cowfish will go in first. Then the dismantling and fish catching fun..... Hope to get the electric and core plumbing done in the next 2 days.

Old 09/30/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

Not too many people who can say they are transferring in all their fish and coral before they have installed, or even built, their filter equipment

Let me know if you need a hand with anything, I can make a day trip over your way to help you do some of those things that tend to need 4 hands and eyes.
Old 09/30/2007, 10:20 PM

True. This is the time I was dreading most though, having three tanks up at the same time. Nothing will give me more motivation to get the system complete than having all my cookies in one jar though. I think I might buy some sulfur media and run it in my little calcium reactor to help the initial giant bioload that will be hitting this little tank.

Cowfish is in a 5 gallon bucket acclimating as we speak

Old 09/30/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

That fish is gonna be loving life after having been in the 54 for so long.
Old 09/30/2007, 10:45 PM

Totally. When I got him, he was the size of a quarter. Barely had nubs for horns. Now he pretty much fills 1/2 of the 5 gallon bucket, this new tank was really the only humane thing to do

Old 09/30/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy7200
True. This is the time I was dreading most though, having three tanks up at the same time. Nothing will give me more motivation to get the system complete than having all my cookies in one jar though. I think I might buy some sulfur media and run it in my little calcium reactor to help the initial giant bioload that will be hitting this little tank.

Cowfish is in a 5 gallon bucket acclimating as we speak
Good idea. Make sure to work out any kinks in your Denitrator before I buy one from you.
Old 10/01/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

When do you think its all going to be complete Dan?
Old 10/01/2007, 03:14 PM

A reef tank is never complete

Old 10/01/2007, 03:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy7200
A reef tank is never complete
that's what I keep telling my wife! she keeps asking when I will be done so i can clean up my fishroom!
Old 10/01/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

lol- you know my mom asks the same thing gig
Old 10/02/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

Where did you source these 1" NPT to 1" liquid tight cord grip fittings at. I'm going to "steal" your idea, but going to put some ball valves in the middle and fittings on both ends so I can use half of it to heat my fresh salt water prior to water changes when needed. Will the heat from the heater not hurt the seals over time? Awesome job on the whole build. Thanks!
Dean
Old 10/02/2007, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

I remeber the amazing growth you achieved in just 10 months in your 54g. I can't wait to see what you acomplish this time. Good luck! and congratulations on reaching the 100 day mark. This should be one of the more execiting periods of your life!

Steve
Old 10/03/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

sulfur

Hey Dan,

I am enjoying watching the progress. This is as much fun as working on my tank. What is the sulfur used for?
Old 10/03/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Re: sulfur

Quote:
Originally posted by dschflier
Hey Dan,

I am enjoying watching the progress. This is as much fun as working on my tank. What is the sulfur used for?
The sulfur is used as media in the Denitrator reactors. Promotes growth of bacteria that eats away the nitrates.

Man, I'm really starting to like having internet at work now. I can keep up with Dan's progress 24/7 now. If he would only post more pics, although I doubt much has changed since I was there Monday night. The pics he posts actaully don't do it justice. My next tank will definitely be Starphire.
Old 10/04/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Dan, along for the ride. Can't wait to see it in person.
Old 10/04/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Beautiful!
Old 10/05/2007, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

I'm thouroughly enjoying this build dandy7200. The heater set-up is genius. It would certainly clean up my 4-5 heater octupus in my sump. Your cow baby brings back good memories. That was my first marine fish as a teen and he would spit water at me. Little bugger.
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.