Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/15/2003, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Clowntrigger with corals?

I wonder if there is anyone who has a BIG clowntrigger together with corals? I had a small clown once and he diden't touch the inverbrates. Is there a different behaviour when they growing bigger?
Old 10/15/2003, 01:29 PM
Got that Anger!

it will eat coral peroid. i wouldnt try it
Old 10/15/2003, 03:08 PM
Lion addict

Triggers change drastically from juvie to adult. A large CT is just about guarenteed to kill corals. I have 6" Queens and a 4" Clown that would LOVE to have some corals for dinner . The other triggs are too small and they haven't changed yet (the blue line is the same size as the Clown but he is not very smart bout life!) but they will. Expect the unexpected and Don't Trust a Trigger, are great ideas to use when thinking about purchasing one of these majestic beauties. Hope this helps.
Old 10/16/2003, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

Location: 1477 S. Prescott Ave., Clearwater, Florida. Phone: (727) 443-6459
Additionally, these guys get MUCH larger than the average aquariust can imagine when looking at cute little juveniles.
While an adult is very capable (and quite likely) to much a coral head for a snack, especially large polyped varieties), the amount of waste generated would also preclude them in all but huge systems.
Old 10/16/2003, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

I'm goin to cut a small branch from my large Frogspawn, and put it in the tank with my Clown trigger to see if he will eat it ,so far he have no interest,to mushrooms, Ricordia,or cleaner shrimp.
he like to eat snails and hermit crabs.
you can see the shroom in the back of the picture.
I will let you know.
Old 10/16/2003, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

My old CT would bite everything in the tank - rock, cords, anything. Off course you never know, you might find something he just doesn't feel like chomping on.
Old 10/16/2003, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Scientist
My old CT would bite everything in the tank - rock, cords, anything. Off course you never know, you might find something he just doesn't feel like chomping on.
He will attack through the glass and try to get a Flame angel next to his tank, that is been quarantine.
But he don't bite anything in the tank.
Old 10/17/2003, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Zoom, as they get bigger many triggers begin to "hunt" in the tank, that is go through the LR, piece by piece, sieze it with their jaws and trow it aside, then move on to the next piece.
In the wild, this is how they find crabs, shrimp, snails and urchins, all part of their normal diet.
We have an adult Dragon Wrasse, a much smaller fish, and you would be amazed at how much LR and the size of the pieces it moves daily in its hunting, even though it's VERY well fed.
Even if not eaten, being tossed in a heap is not beneficial to most corals, and if it's cemented in place.....no problem.
One quick bite and twist and the coral branch is broken off, THEN discarded.
You have quite an adventure, not to mention more than a little frustration ahead!**grin**
Old 10/17/2003, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

thank you all for the advise. I will have a seperate tank for him to destroy and feed him with cats and dogs
Old 10/17/2003, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Swedish viking, that's not as remote as you think.....we have a medium sized dog-faced puffer whose favorite food actually is the moist catfood chunks (once the gravy has been licked off by the cats!).
While it's extremely hard to visualize, these really do grow larger than an American football, and with jaws and dentition that can actually be dangerous.
Even though we wish our little pets would be what we want them to be forever, it just isn't real........one of my morays left me with quite a scar as proof of that.
Old 10/17/2003, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

I Just love this fish! It's the most interesting fish of them all.
Old 10/17/2003, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

The bad part is that I fully understand your point, and there are so many fish that fit into this category that, unfortunately just don't make good friends for most other fish.
We have a pair of Banded Bamboo Sharks that are actually as close to affectionate with each other as two fish can get (I imagine puberty will change all that! **grin**), but when they mature they'll probably need the big tank pretty well to themselves.