Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/26/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

Koralia Users............

I am planning on buying two of the #2 or #3 and putting them on opposite sides of the aquarium and alternating the flow with my ACJR to give a wavemaking effect.

I have a question:

In order to keep my equipment as quiet as possible, will the pumps make annoying noises when starting up 3 or 4 times per minute.

I have heard that they do make a little noise when starting up, and I don't want any clicking noises to bother my wife. I have been able to change things around to make my aquarium nearly silent, and I want to keep it that way.

What have you experienced (especially those of you that run them on a current device)???????

[img]http://i10.tinypic.com/48f4i1s.gif[/img]
Old 12/26/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

these pumps are not made to be run on a wave maker divice, and they do chatter for a few seconds before the propellar settles in to place. it is very (loud) and anoying. plus the propellar wont last very long in doing so...
Old 12/26/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

i've bought this from LFS and it's been running in my tank for 2days. It didn't make any noise in my tank at all. although it's not for a wave maker but, water flow inside the tank tho.
Old 12/26/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

That what are my options? Would I be better off modding my maxijets and using those instead? Someone suggested a Seio controller that reduces the power, not completely turning it off...

Old 12/26/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

I agree, they do make a alot of nosie when they start up. I dont think you would like it on a wave maker.
-
I have the K2 and K3 and they both do the same thing. I contacted Koralia and they suggested not to use it on a wave maker.
-
I wanted to put them on the red sea wave maker pro but after hearing the noise after each start up i wouldnt do it. It would drive my girl nuts!!
Old 12/26/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Other nice powerheads to use with my AC Jr?

If I mod my maxijets, would that work out okay?

Old 12/26/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

Thats what i did and it still made some noise but not as bad as the K2 and K3. In otherwords, all i heard was like a small thump every time it starts. Atleast for me, it was something i could live with.
Old 12/26/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

I am wondering if it can be mod to lower the speed, but not turning it off, would this stop the noise @ start up issue.
Old 12/26/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Maybe try Maxi jets with mod i hear that is what people are doing and seems to work very well
Old 12/26/2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

Hey Jose, thats what i did with the maxi jet mod and it still made that thump noise at start up. Have you heard if anyone has been able to reduce that noise?
Old 12/26/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys, modded maxi jet pumps are the most annoying pumps I've experienced if you are trying to achieve silence. Don't even dare try them on a wave maker since this will cause the modded impeller to chatter away.

Tunzes are pricey, but check out Pacific Coast Imports. They have some nice looking stuff and you know the price won't be over the top
http://www.pacificcoastimports.com/p...c=37&kys=&pg=1
Old 12/26/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

i use the seio controller on a 15 second interval. i've been using it for about a year and a half and i really like it
Old 12/27/2007, 01:58 AM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

About 4 months ago I picked up a Tunze 6055 and hooked it to the single controller. Best powerhead I've ever owned. Easy mount, doesn't seem to add any heat, and dead quiet. You'll pay a bit more but this pump rocks!
Old 12/27/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregm5
i use the seio controller on a 15 second interval. i've been using it for about a year and a half and i really like it
What kind of powerheads are you using?

And Ken....a bit more for Tunze?

Old 01/02/2008, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

I've got 2 MJ mods in my 90. Flow is great. It is so loud my wife just told me she doesn't care what it costs get the Tunze 6055's I've been looking at 'em for a while. So for me, the mods were great, they got me 2 new Tunze!
Old 01/02/2008, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally posted by modd77
I've got 2 MJ mods in my 90. Flow is great. It is so loud my wife just told me she doesn't care what it costs get the Tunze 6055's I've been looking at 'em for a while. So for me, the mods were great, they got me 2 new Tunze!

Old 01/02/2008, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

my koralia made no noise when starting up, and i just unplugged it and plugged it back in to see. nothing happened, but i use a koralia nano, i dont know if this has anything to do with it, hope it helps
Old 01/02/2008, 12:00 PM
Reef adict

I tried my #1 and #2 on a JBJ and it didnt work out so well. The prop made a loud noise each time the pump was switched.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

the pump and wavemaker that came on my jbj 28g hqi tank is virtually silent. they are set at about 30 seconds apart. you can't tell by sound when they switch. the current is the only thing that gives them away. the wave maker is pretty cheap if you look for it on ebay.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:16 PM
Premium Member

I have been running a k3 on a a wt for 6 months, it clacks hen it starts, and just started sticking. I guess I will clean it and maybe replace the impler and or shaft