Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

My Humble Beginnings

I am officially in a cycle (finally)

(Tank 125gal / sump 30 gal with skimmer and 5 gal fuge bucket)
All my rock is DIY rock and added a few pounds of live rock for seeding.

I artificially created the ammonia with some flake food instead of shrimp (suggested by Aqua Touch)

It took about 2 weeks but I have now hit a spike in ammonia and Nitrate.

My ammonia shot up to 1.0 and then the next day was down to .50. My Nitrates continued to climb and are in the 80 range....(And yes there is a hint of unpleasant oder in the air...LOL)

I had not been running the skimmer, but it seems as if (from what I am reading it not a bad idea to go ahead and run it during the cycle) I was kind of thinking I would let the system run on its own with no help from the skimmer, and then when the cycle is complete, have the added benefit of the skimmer. Still not 100% sure which way to go on this one but its currently on (I am getting a lot of little flakes on the side of the collection cup....not sure if they are pods or not since I am not 100% sure what they look like...(i don't think they are though)

I added some Cheto to my smallish fuge. It looks like I am getting some tenticles on the live rock. It looks like the fuge has some algea growing on the side of the bucket, but none on the glass of the tank (yet)

I am getting just a hint of algea growth in the DT. The sand is starting to get some growth under the top layer. SB is approx 3"

I have adjusted my return lines (4) so that 1 stimulates the surface and the other three point in a general downward direction. I have struggled a bit in that if I point them down they blow the sand off of the bottom and created bare bottome areas. I have them banking off the glass now and have created a sort of figure 8 current around the tank. There is still current running over the sand and rock (not huge flow in reef terms) but there is some flow through the tank. (Until I get to the point where I can add a CUC I have been waving a cleaner brush over the sand bed about 1 time a week to just blow the top layer around a bit and to kick up any of the flake food that has congregated under a rock)

Anyway...enough of the ramble.

I had a couple questions...

I saw a carbon pre-filter unit that I decided to buy $10 and attached it to the bulkhead on the sump (that feeds the return pump) I works great just for filtering any debri that I don't want back into the DT, but I have not yet added the Carbon. The water does have that whitish ting to it that the Carbon would clear up, but I can not seem to find if Carbon would do anything to delay or disrupt the cyle??? Should I continue to wait until after the cycle or go ahead and run it for a day or two. It attachable/detachable in about 2 seconds so I can run Carbon (or any other addittive media) only as I need it.

I am not sure what the algea is growing on the side of the fuge bucket...It showed up about 2 days ago and then almost more than doubled in a day...Some browninsh some purpleish spots....(Note: My fuge light is a 90W florescent floodlight type) My DT lights are two very low end 35" T5s that are probably way past the replacement stage.....(DT lights are a future upgrade for sure)

I realize since I am using DIY rock I am probably months (if not a year away) from any livestock other than perhaps a very small CUC but I think I am to the point where it would be beneficial for me to have someone that knows what they are doing come by and take a look (get a good laugh) and make some suggestions....

I am on the West Side 105th & Camelback...

Old 12/27/2007, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

Congrats on getting set up! Carbon won't disturb the cycle. Actually the carbon particles will give the de-nitrifying bacteria another place to grow. Are you running sand? Sand is probably the bigger de-nitrifying area. With the tank seeded with LR you could start adding fish a few weeks after your cycle finishes. Pick a hardy fish but not one you'll regret later like damsels. Only add 1-2 fish every 4-6 weeks to allow your system to catch up. Once you have some livestock in the tank QT any new fish if you can.

Sounds like you'll be ready for a cleanup crew soon. For your size tank I like getting just 3-4 red/scarlet leg hermits. And a mixture of astreas, ceriths and turbo snails. The amount will depend on how bad your algae cycle is.

edit: Just read a very depressing post of someone who got their 400G tank nuked by a pink cuke. I see you mentioned that as a starter.
Old 12/27/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Philwd
Congrats on getting set up! Carbon won't disturb the cycle. Actually the carbon particles will give the de-nitrifying bacteria another place to grow. Are you running sand? Sand is probably the bigger de-nitrifying area. With the tank seeded with LR you could start adding fish a few weeks after your cycle finishes. Pick a hardy fish but not one you'll regret later like damsels. Only add 1-2 fish every 4-6 weeks to allow your system to catch up. Once you have some livestock in the tank QT any new fish if you can.

Sounds like you'll be ready for a cleanup crew soon. For your size tank I like getting just 3-4 red/scarlet leg hermits. And a mixture of astreas, ceriths and turbo snails. The amount will depend on how bad your algae cycle is.

edit: Just read a very depressing post of someone who got their 400G tank nuked by a pink cuke. I see you mentioned that as a starter.

I am using sand. It is a little over 3" from a pre-existing tank.(It is a very fine black sand) I added a cup of live sand (Thanks to Widefx) to seed it. and 3 bags of Bajabums Reef Stew that I got at the last FRAG auction.

I was going to get a kenya tree from JMCAquarium but he suggested it probably would not live through the cycle so I did not take advantage of his great offer...(of Free)....(Thanks anyway JMCAquarium)

I have another 3" sand bed in the fuge (but its only about 12" x 6" in the bottom of the bucket) I am thinking about bumping that to a 6" sandbead in the fuge. I threw a small piece of live rock in there to help seed it. I pulled the rock out to inspect and it and it looks to have a couple samall tanish worm like tenticles growing. The purple coraline seems to be maintaining its color on all the small live rock peices I have added.

I am not sure what a pink cuke is???? I actually only used flake food to kick start the amonia cycle. I have now stopped since the levels finally spiked up for me.

Strange that the amonia went up to 1.0 and then dropped back down to .50 in 1 day. I am going to test both amonia and nitrate again tonight to see where they are.

Hopefully I can get a Westsider to stop by and give me some advice.....

Any Takers???
Old 12/27/2007, 07:31 PM
Team RC Member

Never restrict the suction side of the return pump, or any pump for that matter. It will lead to cavitation, microbubbles and a shorter than normal pump life.

I am on the west side at 35th Ave and Bell and have lots of starter corals I will pass on when you are ready.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:47 PM
Mushroom King

I now have 7 Mounted Kenya tree's and one has your name on it kgouso and I'm at 99th ave and Peoria and work at the 101/I-17. So if ya ever need help with somthing give me a heads up I'm off every other weekend and can change my days off during the week with enough notice.
Jonathan

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 12/28/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
Never restrict the suction side of the return pump, or any pump for that matter. It will lead to cavitation, microbubbles and a shorter than normal pump life.

I am on the west side at 35th Ave and Bell and have lots of starter corals I will pass on when you are ready.
Thanks for the tip...I was keeping an eye on that. I actually asked the LFS if it would cause a problem like you suggest and was told as long as I don't put filter pad in there it won't cause a problem.

I am using carbon pellets and its only half full so there is still a very clear entry through the bulkead into the pump. The pellets just kind of sit around and inner filter tube that keeps them from getting sucked in to the tube...Have not noticed any change in the water flow or pump sound...no micor bubbles either.

Thanks for the offer on the starter corals...I will definatley look you up when I am ready...(I have to find some "real" DT lights first...LOL)

Thanks
Ken
Old 12/28/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JMCAquarium
I now have 7 Mounted Kenya tree's and one has your name on it kgouso and I'm at 99th ave and Peoria and work at the 101/I-17. So if ya ever need help with somthing give me a heads up I'm off every other weekend and can change my days off during the week with enough notice.
Jonathan
I can work around your schedule. I can be available pretty much any night after 6 and Sat-Sun all day.

When my cycle is done I contact you about a kenya tree. I checked again last night and the amonia is down some more .25 and the nitrates dropped to somwhere between the 20 to 40 range. With no fish, I have a snow storm of pods floating around the DT and crawling on the front glass. A hint of algea growing in the DT. I do have an explosion of some kind of brownish with purple spots algea growing on the side of my fuge bucket.

I also notice some kind of worm looking tentical that is growing off of the live rock
Old 12/29/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

So here is the latest. I have attached some pics below.

Amonia and Nitrate dropped again. I can't imagine this tank is anwhere near ready for livestock so I am going to add flake food again to spike it back up and grow some more base bacteria and other critters that like that stuff.

I found out today that I have worms. I was checking out my Cheto to see if there was any growth. When I first looked at it I thought it was dying (I thought I saw dead branches) As I started to pick out the dead branches, I found out that they were some kind of brown worm......(Are they supposed to live in the cheto ball???) I believe that I also have them on what little live rock I have. (They appear partially fused to the rock with just part that hangs loose from the rock like it is catching the flow of water)

I had orderd a Calicium / Alk / Phosphate test that came in yesterday...(to add to the other tests).....As expected My Calcium and Alk is low...(especially Calcium)

Amonia - 0
Nitrate - 10-20
PH - 8.2
Alk - 7 (right on the bottom of acceptable range I guess)
Calcium - 320

I am reading up on Kalkwasser (Limewater)...Suggestions here would be helpful. Should I even worry about it in a tank that is still cycling?(obviously I have not done any water changes yet) and what is an easy way to get the Calcium and Alk up (to promote the coraline growth)

Also (see fuge picture below) should I let that continue to grow on the side of the bucket. It is spreading throughout the bucket daily, but has not ventured beyond...(into the sump)

I know I know.....What the heck!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Sump on a budget
[IMG][/IMG]

Some unidentified growth on the side of the fuge bucket...(and growing)
[IMG][/IMG]

Overflow on a budget...One on each side
[IMG][/IMG]

My first ever attempt at DIY rock (Can you tell where the Live Rock is?... LOL)
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

BTW...The dolphin was a X-mas present from my 8 year old daughter... so go easy....She wants to see fish in there (like yesterday) and its kind of hard to explain to an 8 year old why she is going to have to wait (months) to put a fish in...

Last edited by kgouso; 12/29/2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12/29/2007, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

You do not need to add more flake food. Wait fo rthe cycle to finish. Wait couple more weeks to be sure. Add 1 fish you won't regret later like a damsel. Clownfish are very hardy good first fish. Then when adding more livestock only add 1-2 fish 4-6 weeks apart. That's how you get your system's biofilter built up. slowly over time.

Adding more flake food will just add to your nitrates and phosphatss and fuel a bigger algae bloom. You will get one anyway but it can be minimized by aggresively attacking your nutrients now.

BTW I have tons of bristleworms living in my chaeto.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:19 AM
Mushroom King

Quote:
Originally posted by Philwd
You do not need to add more flake food. Wait fo rthe cycle to finish. Wait couple more weeks to be sure. Add 1 fish you won't regret later like a damsel. Clownfish are very hardy good first fish. Then when adding more livestock only add 1-2 fish 4-6 weeks apart. That's how you get your system's biofilter built up. slowly over time.

Adding more flake food will just add to your nitrates and phosphatss and fuel a bigger algae bloom. You will get one anyway but it can be minimized by aggresively attacking your nutrients now.

BTW I have tons of bristleworms living in my chaeto.
Phil man you not liken them damsels do ya.

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 12/30/2007, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

Nope I do not. Terrors of the deep. Them and most dottybacks.

Well technically clowns are damsels and I like them. LOL.

And I see I can't type tonight.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:07 AM
Ruger dog

I have a lemon damsel and two Allenis that are model tenants FWIW.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

I will be bringing my reef stew down to the Prop auction. It will seed your tank with microfauna.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:16 PM
HELP SLOW

I think everything looks great! I like the DIY overflows, rubbermaid sump and rocks.

Stuff in the sump looks like diatoms to me and is part of the process.

Parameters are not terribly important during cycle but ya might as well get used to keeping them in check because later on, they are everything.

I like to say we keep water and stuff just happens to live in it.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 12/30/2007, 03:32 PM
Ruger dog

I tried to register under the username waterkeeper it was taken I also liked wetsleeves but it was taken also
Old 12/31/2007, 12:44 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Not a chance!

Tom
Old 12/31/2007, 12:47 PM
Team RC Member

Mention his name and see who rears his ugly mug!

Oh,.......Hey Tom.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:11 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Happy New Year Rat.

I think we should change your name to WaterRat.

Tom
Old 12/31/2007, 02:06 PM
Ruger dog

HAAA HA HA! cool.