Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2003, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Black Ocellaris

Where can I find a pair of vlack ocellaris clowns and could they be mixed with percs in a 125?
Old 09/24/2003, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I mean Black Ocellaris not vlack
Old 09/24/2003, 12:12 PM
Dad, mom and nest of eggs

As you read around here on this forum you will come to find that mixing clownfish species is a deadly mistake. JHardman summed the info up best in this recent post. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=245520

You can get black ocellaris from LiveAqurial which are the ones that are bred in England, or you can get your LFS to order the ORA raised ones (which some people say are blacker than the ones from England).
Old 09/24/2003, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

My Perc now never leave the left side of my 125 so if I intriduced 2 black percs to the right side would that work?
Old 09/24/2003, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

heh, go nittany lions

but I wouldnt recommend mixing clowns. You could get away with it if you're extremely lucky. But to chance losing two lives, and a decent amount of money, I wouldnt risk it.

To get the black Ocellaris, you could get the ones from liveaquaria. I recieved mine from saltwaterfish.com, but I cannot comment on where they were raised. I"d definetly call the LFS and ask if they will order you some from ORA.

You were doing so well calling them black Ocellaris, but then you used black perc in the end :-p
Old 09/24/2003, 02:20 PM
TRC Leader

I would not mix clowns as well. What if the ones you introduce want the left side where your percs reside? That would cause the brawl you want to avoid.
I is just a bad idea all around. The link oceanarus gave you is a good one that will explain all of the reasons why mixing is not a good idea.
Old 09/24/2003, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

You might be surprised how many true ocellaris clowns are sold as true perculas. Do you count the dorsal spines? Really? While it is a bad idea to mix most different species of clowns, ocellaris and percula clowns are very likely the same fish from a different geographical location, and they do produce fertile eggs together, and they are compatible, unless you happen to buy 2 female fish. You may find that in captivity that if you have 2 A. ocellaris clowns and 2 A. perculas in the same tank that the A. ocellaris will pair up with the A. percula for some strange reason. If only I knew why. Any geneticists here?LOL
Old 09/24/2003, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

The addition of a black O. would not be a problem if mixed with orange O.'s I know of a breeder that has 2 spawning pair like this. I personally would not mix a true perc with an O. though. For one you are making a possible stressful situation and for two why cross breed them and ruin a perfectly good true blood line?