Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 09:59 PM
Excuse My French...

Hodge:

Thanks! I will try this mod this coming weekend. Simple enough for me!
Old 12/27/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

RM - Hmm the level in the first chamber seems much higher since I have to lift the gate to the point where it no longer can skim. I have no idea how to make it work other than taking out the drop pump mod. =( Atleast I didn't have too many micro bubbles before...Grrrr skimmer!!! It's cursed!
Old 12/27/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

You All Are Great! I'm Addicted to this Forum!

Y-DesygnGuy - So pleased that the topical Benadryl Cream gave you some relief for your rash! Yeah... ORA is a wholesale fish breeding operation only... sorry! I have a few boxes of gray surgical, not latex?, surgical gloves and intend to ALWAYS use them with the rubber band closures while fiddling inside my RSM!

Reefmack - Thanks for the EBAY info. The beautiful 6 month old Brittany Spaniel girl named Cali is so intelligent, anxious to please and eager to learn.... She's just a HIGH ENERGY dream girl!

donna53w - Thanks once again for the message, 'Hope and Faith' are very sweet... appreciate the info on the reef safe ICK remedy... "Medic" by Polyp Lab!

Hodge - The stock RSM skimmer mod with the drain pipe appears like it could be metal! ???? It's of course PVC correct? Just used to seeing white PVC plumbing...

Appreciate ALL The Info posted on this Forum - THANKS!
Kent
Old 12/27/2007, 11:35 PM
Excuse My French...

Thanks ReefMack!

It all started here by ReefMack on May 19, 2007.

Since then, the MONSTER RSM thread has become by far the most read (about 83,000 views) and the most contributed (about 5,000 replies) thread on the Nanos section of ReefCentral.

The recipe of sucess: Hundreds (maybe thousands?) of helpful, encouraging, informative and always courteous posts from ReefMack and all the others that joined the RSM 'club'.

Thanks again Reefmack! Thanks all! I mean it.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:05 AM
Premium Member

Hodge: Seems like a great idea, I have some 50mm pvc lying about here somewhere -gigs goes off to find pvc pipe- I have some one here in aus that can supply the Tunze 9002 if all else fails.

NaCl+H2O Fish - I beleive that the pic is of a PVC fitting.

LaurentSeattle - Im with you 100% mate! Take a bow Reefmack you have a standing ovation from me and you cant imagine how much I have learnt from your RSM tank build thread LaurentSeattle Thanks a million!
Old 12/28/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hodge
gigs,

Yeah, its the Tunze Doc Nano 9002. The new ones come with a magnet attachment forcing install on the control panel side right behind the overflow grill. The older stlye have an adjustable bracket which can be attached to the heater glass.

No MB from the Tunze, although I still get the odd burst from the pumps. I did finally get a MJ1200 but haven't installed it yet (hard to find the proper fittings in a small town)
I think I read a post regarding this and if I recall...you have to take off the guard over the plugs in order to mount the magnet correct?
Old 12/28/2007, 06:45 AM
Genuine reef addict

Hodge - let us know how the pipe works. Easy enough to do.

Laurent - thanks, but the real thanks go to all the folks that have been a part of this thread, and to their contributions keeping it alive. It would have died long ago without all of the participation. Thanks for the link to the original post - it was like a history lesson! Nice to see that a lot of the original RSM owners that contributed are still doing so! I didn't even recognize my own tank at first! So, ya'll take the bow for me!

Good to see Laurent's thread has also been so successful, and he's finally able to claim success over the pest algae!

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...0#post11469240

Good job Laurent - Patience & perseverence! Two things I have too little of at times!
Old 12/28/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Kent -- I found these for gloves and I am most likely going to order a box http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog...length-gloves/
Thank goodness I don't itch hardly at all this morning! I was even brave enough to reach into the tank and move some zoa's that got moved! I have to say I rushed right to the sink and washed with soap and water immediately! I just couldn't look at dirty glass and things being out of place any longer!

Yeah Reefmack im very glad you started the thread!!
Old 12/28/2007, 10:29 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - I may order a box of those myself - not a bad price for 100 shoulder length gloves.

Edit - I just found and ordered a 50 pack of similar gloves on Ebay - $5 + $4 shipping. Worth a try.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shoulder-Length-...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Reefmack; 12/28/2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

I actually think they are used for horses....eeeeewwwww!
But yeah not a bad price and they would be thin enough you can feel what your touching.
Old 12/28/2007, 10:40 AM
Genuine reef addict

Y-DesygnGuy - see above your last post.
Old 12/28/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Titans,
Correct on the control panel cover removal for the magnet(if it's a new model) to fit.

Reefmack,Y-DesygnGuy,
Nice find on the disposable long gloves. I was still excited about trying the Reefmack rubber band trick idea to keep water out of the regular gloves I use. lol

Reefmack,
Now that I've made the Tunze install permanent, I need to rely on others to try my stock skimmer mod ideas!!! For some reason I still want to see the stock skimmer work!!
Old 12/28/2007, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Hey everyone!
I need some help on this ID, I'm not sure if I posted these guys before, but as you can see there is a WHITE growth stretching itself out over this colony, also to the right it has grown on the rocks surface.
Any ideas?

Old 12/28/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

[B]Bravo Hodge! That's the Spirit...[/B]

In the immortal words of the late, great North Carolina State men's basketball coach Jim Valvano or 'Jimmy V':

"Don't give up. Don't ever give up."

I'm with you Hodge on your wanting to make the RSM skimmer perform! As good a total system as inspired our purchase of the RSM, the stock skimmer issue seems to be the most frustrating and discussed!

Reefmack gave me some sage advice when he suggested that I begin my RSM entirely stock, except for the addition of the Hydor Koralia 1, which seems to be everyones favorite choice!

I personally have not contacted Red Sea directly concerning the skimmer, but has ANYONE discussed stock skimmer performance issues with the folks at Red Sea?

Are they working on improving the RSM's skimmer performance? Maybe a simple 'mod kit'?

I for one would be happy to pay a modest price for a 'mod kit' of Red Sea design, to improve the skimmer's performance!

What do you guys think?

Regards,
Kent
Old 12/28/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Kent, I feel the same way.
Old 12/28/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

NaCl+H2O Fish,

I went thru a two week ordeal with RSM, ending with a couple calls from one of their techs. In the end they sent me a replacement skimmer as I thought my issues were caused by poor assembly of the skimmer body. The second skimmer wasn't any better so I gave up harassing them.
Old 12/28/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Well looks like my tank has had no ill effects from the poor clown fish. The Yellow Watchman Goby was not photo friendly this afternoon. But the fire fish was out and ready for his close up.

Here is a picture of a Blasto frag I got from the last Frag Auction we had locally. The top piece was the original one I got and I was able to frag it and get the bottom ones to grow as well.

This is a small piece of some kind of flower pot I got from a local reefer. Its skeleton base is very very very brittle and soft. But its been in the tank for about a month now and looks pretty healthy so far.

I also have this plant of some kind that is growing back on my rocks. It is in a few places growing rather well, I hope it's good and not bad! In this picture just to the right of the orange zoa's, you can see the demon zoa's that gave me the rash! They are still not happy with the fraggin and move(good I wasn't happy with the rash! ) But does anyone know what kind of plant that is? It looks like it was growing on the rock originally in the wild and is starting to grow back.

Old 12/28/2007, 03:59 PM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Hodge
......... Now that I've made the Tunze install permanent, I need to rely on others to try my stock skimmer mod ideas!!! For some reason I still want to see the stock skimmer work!!
I'm with you Hodge. Although I'm not running the skimmer anymore I'd really like to see a fix for the thing. I might be tempted to put it back in if there was an easy fix that didn't require sawing, drilling, etc. Although I'm happy with the HOB Remora, I'm also tempted to get a mag mount for the Tunze 9002 and try that one for a while.

kmjoen - could that be a sponge? I recall seeing posts & pictures of sponges growing in between zoa polyps and on zoa colonies. I think they can overgrow and smother the zoas. Is it easily removable with a toothbrush?

Y-DesygnGuy - good news that whatever malady affected the clowns hasn't done so to the other fish. Nice pics of the corals. Hard to tell what that macro is - maybe a type of caulerpa - just a guess. Let it grow a bit & maybe you'll be better able to ID it, and whether it should be removed or not.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:08 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Man oh man! You guys provide LOTS to read!

Hodge: I'd be interested in that skimmer mode too...I like doing things that can easily be undone...

Y-DesygnGuy: Nice pics!

kmjoen: No idea what that is? Maybe a tube worm starting up???

Well now! I've had some ups and downs the last couple of days!

My anemone clone went back to the intake and got sucked up.

So I shut the tank down and let it pull itself out. It looked fine. Turned every back on and went to bed.

Woke up to find 2 clone halves INSIDE the intake!!! Both were alive!

Turned the tank off for 4 hours to let them recover...bagged them and today I took them to someone else with room for them.

However...anemone woes aside - when I had the tank off yesterday I think the left hand fan went off. LOL...IS there a left hand fan? AND my temp. went up to 90F even though I turned the heater down when I saw the temp. rising.

Today I gave up on the RSM heater (I think it was defective from the get-go)...took everything apart and replaced it with a 200w Marineland Stealth heater. Hopefully it works!

And while I was taking everything apart, I removed the carbon bag from underneath the powerheads.

Now my questions are:

How do I access the fans?

Will the carbon do any good sitting in the nook between the heater and the skimmer cup?

Last edited by Rue; 12/28/2007 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Someone asked about the "hole in the cup" mod.
Here's a pic.

I used a 15/64" drill bit, making the hose a snug fit.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:47 PM
Genuine reef addict

Rue - bummer on having to give up the anemones, but at least they survived. I don't think there's a left hand fan? I thought both were on the right of the hood - hopefully someone will confirm that. I think the RSM heater probably had its thermostat go - I replaced mine with a Marineland Stealth heater months ago as mine seemed to stop heating rather than get stuck on. In between I had a Hydor Theo that overheated from the start - never could get that one to settle down. The carbon should be OK in that spot as long as it doesn't cut the flow to the pumps. If it's carbon alone I doubt it will as the granule size of carbon always seemed to be bigger than things like the Chemi-Pure types. JMO.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Smile

y design guy - that unknown coral you have is called alveopora. I had one a while ago. Mine was also very brittle and it eventually became bleached and died. It made me sad becuase it was so pretty. To me, yours is not looking as colorful as it should. Mine used to be a deep brown color and then got lighter and lighter. I hope you will be more successful than me they are supposed to be hard to take care of since there are in the same category as goniopora.

Oh, and I also had that plant thing that you have. I don't think it is harmful. My coral beauty took care of it for me though.

Love the pictures too!
Old 12/28/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Rue - O man!!! 3 nems! You need to get selling those Weird that they have done that so many times. Mine didn't even split when it went though!
Old 12/28/2007, 08:11 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks guys...I hope I'm good for a bit...I had to grit my teeth to replace the heater, since I had to take it all apart to do so...

I HOPE there's no left-side fan...because the right side is working just fine! LOL...

And if the carbon is where I can get at it...I'll change it a lot more often too...

BTW...I gave the two anemones away. If they looked healthy I would've sold/traded...but given they need time to heal and what not, I would've felt bad asking $$$ for them...

Another good reason for a frag tank...I could've put them in there to recoup!
Old 12/28/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Rue -- The fan(s) are located on the right hand side the lid. I was wondering this entire time if my heater even worked or not. Very sorry to hear about the anemones, ive tried in past tanks to keep them as well and ive always had them end up in a power head or some place I didn't want them to be. Good luck with whatever you choose.

kmjoen230 -- Yeah I thought it was from the goniopora class, but was hoping it was a little hardier than the others. I have no idea what it should look like its looked that way the entire time in my tank. I've always heard these types of corals look good for awhile... then just start to slide towards death... No idea what it eats is the thing, it must live off the light because i never see it feeding. Although the ends of the polyps look to have a mouth, I never see them open.

I have 3 rocks with that plant growing on it. I need a little better picture, I will switch camera lenses and use the macro setting to see if I can get better clarity. Good to know it can be taken care of via a fish and it's most likely not bad.

Thanks im glad you liked the pictures, I have hundreds and hundreds of photo's ive taken but those are the only ones I thought turned out Ahh the joys of digital photography and several gigs of memory cards.