Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

looking for people who switched from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals

what changes in your dosing and schedule of dosing did the switch between salts cause you to make, if any?
Old 10/10/2007, 12:22 AM
Premium Member

I switched to Reef Crystals From IO around three months because of all the positives i've been hearing here on RC. But honestly I've noticed no differences between them. All Param test seem the same between the 2. No changes in my dosing have been needed.
Old 10/10/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Ditto. Haven't noticed any noticable difference. I bought a whole bunch of it because I found it on sale and it was cheaper than the IO. In the future I'm getting whatever is cheaper. I have both right now. Will try mixing up a bit of each and running test on them. Will post results on here 2mrw night.
Old 10/10/2007, 12:36 AM
Premium Member

None so far. I switched from IO to RC after reading that it mixed to a higher pH. A silly move in retrospect. I'm now topping off with 70% saturated kalk to reach a daytime pH high of 8.1. Maybe it's just me, but it does seem to dissolve quicker than IO -- but that could just be my subconscious trying to justify the extra $2.50 I'm paying per bucket I've no plans to switch back quite yet though having just bought a couple extra buckets of RC -- Fosters & Smith is having a nice sale

Edit: Keep your eyes on this thread. Should be interesting when we get the results in!
Old 10/10/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jon99
Ditto. Haven't noticed any noticable difference. I bought a whole bunch of it because I found it on sale and it was cheaper than the IO. In the future I'm getting whatever is cheaper. I have both right now. Will try mixing up a bit of each and running test on them. Will post results on here 2mrw night.
very cool, i am looking forward to your results.
so far it seems like whichever is available at the lower cost (IO typically) is the one to use.
I'm interested in hearing more reports, though!
Old 10/10/2007, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

cd77, i hadn't seen that before. thanks for the link!
Old 10/10/2007, 12:53 AM
Premium Member

I would agree that it does seem to disolve quicker. I also thought that was just me. I have a few months supply of reef crystals. But next time I'll go for the cheaper one. It'll be interseting to see the results of that thread cd77 posted.
Old 10/10/2007, 06:07 AM
Registered Member

it's sort of weird though.. aren't RC suppose to be much more richer in nutrient,cal, etc. than IO.... when i switched.. i notice no difference(or mayB it was just bad testing kits >Sera< ) but i definitely see the increased rate of growth of my candy cane coral :P Now to save a lil' cost i mix em(IO and RC) ratio of 1:1

My $0.02
Old 10/10/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

ive only used reef crystals...since it was the only option i could buy in bulk....works great for me.....heard its like instant ocean but slightly better....more nutrients and stuff...
Old 10/10/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Used both and have seen and measured no differences whatsoever. One bad side effect though that was noticeable was the cost of the RC was higher and most of the alleged calcium wound up on the walls of my mixing tub.

Kind of defeats the purpose in my opinon. Even after heating the water and mixing for 2-3 days.

And with no measurable or beneficial differences in the end I can't see spending anymore than is necessary.
If you can get one or the other cheaper then stay with it.

If your thinking it's going to solve your calcium issue lol don't bet on it.
Old 10/10/2007, 05:48 PM
"Lurker"

I switched awhile back from IO to RC. The biggest differance I noticed was my cal. I went from the low 300's to the low 400's w/ RC (using Salifert test kits).
Old 10/10/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

I also found no real difference other than cost sticking with IO. I like to bucket IO comes in has a nice sealable lid.
Old 10/10/2007, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaos
I switched awhile back from IO to RC. The biggest differance I noticed was my cal. I went from the low 300's to the low 400's w/ RC (using Salifert test kits).
this change occurred solely as a result of the switch? were you using salifert kits with the IO?
is there any difference in your frequency or size of waterchanges from then to now? are you dosing anything different or in different amts?

please understand that i am only trying to isolate the source of your added calcium, not to call you a liar.
Old 10/10/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wds21921
Used both and have seen and measured no differences whatsoever. .
If you can get one or the other cheaper then stay with it.
If your thinking it's going to solve your calcium issue lol don't bet on it.
thanks for the input.
I am currently researching for my first marine system, and while the quality of my system water is of the utmost importance to me, i do not want to spend money i dont have to.
Old 10/10/2007, 07:21 PM
"Lurker"

Quote:
Originally posted by dwd5813
this change occurred solely as a result of the switch? were you using salifert kits with the IO?
is there any difference in your frequency or size of waterchanges from then to now? are you dosing anything different or in different amts?

please understand that i am only trying to isolate the source of your added calcium, not to call you a liar.
No, it's cool. The change did occur because of the switch. At that time I was not adding any supplements to the tank. Yes, I was using Salifert kits then (but the cal. kits have been in question). Everyting, mantainance wise, stayed the same.
Old 10/10/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

i havent notice a difference,but the guys at lfs said they were bored one day and tested both.they said rc was higher in alk. higher in calcium and the magnesium is where its supposed to be(where ever that is).
Old 10/10/2007, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

I happen to have a bucket of RC and a bucket of IO. About an hour ago I mixed up a gallon of each to 1.025 specific gravity and ran a few tests. Here are the results....

IO RC
7.63pH (10 min after mixing) 8.01pH (10 min after mixing)
390 ppm calcium 340 calcium (yes I'm sure, did 3 times)
15 dKH alk (wow!) 8.4 dKH alk
1470 ppm mag 1470 ppm mag
8.06pH (hour after mixing) 8.24pH (hour after mixing)

Hereare the details....

All tests were taken with salifert test kits except pH which I tested using a digital pinpoint pH meter

First of all I tested the DI water I used...
8.35 pH
0 ppm calcium
1.6 dkH alk
75 degrees F

Mixing the 2 solutions

I weighed out 3.5 oz (approx 1/2 cup) of each salt and mixed each with a gallon of the DI water.
I tried to pour the water over the salt in the 2 buckets at the same time to see if there is any difference in the amount of time it takes the salt to dissolve. The RC did dissolve a bit faster (about 10 extra seconds for the IO). This was actually kind of difficult to gauge because of the insoluble white powder that settled out at the bottom of the RC bucket (it looked a lot like salt). Speaking of which, the bucket with the RC had atleast 10 times if not more of the white insoluable solid than the IO, not that that is necessarily a bad thing. Any way, I measured the specific gravity of both waters with a cheap swing arm hydrometer. I know these are not very accurate but I used the same one for both tests ust to compare the salinity. Both came to 1.020 specific gravity at 75 degrees F water temp. Since this is lower than most reefers keep their aquariums at I added a bit of salt to both buckets until both reached 1.024. I then ran the series of tests....

Initial pH approximately 10-15 min after mixing 7.63pH for IO and 8.01pH for RC.
Calcium: 370ppm for IO, 340ppm for RC. This seemed very strange considering RC claims to have higher levels of calcium so I ran the tests twice more for each...
Calcium: 410ppm, 400 ppm for IO and 340ppm, 340ppm for RC. Even stranger!

I next checked the pH again. Approx 30 min had passed since mixing... 8.00 pH IO and 8.20 pH RC

I next checked alkalinity...
15 dKH alk for IO. That seemed extremely high to me.
8.6 dKH alk for RC Seems normal
Did it again..
15 dKH alk for IO. Exactly the same!
8.3 dKH alk for RC. Close enough, seems normal

I next checked magnesium...
1470 ppm IO, 1470ppm RC
Seemed reasonable and I was sick and tired of doing titrations so I left it at that.

Checked pH again, approx an hour had passed since mixing...
8.06pH IO and 8.24pH RC

What I really want to know is why is the alkalinity so dang high in the IO solution!?!? Is this even safe to add to the tank during a water change???
Old 10/10/2007, 09:03 PM
Help im addicted

i've been getting nitrates from a bucket I just bought. About 20ppt. Not good considering Im trying to lower nitrates.
Old 10/10/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

what are you using reefkrazy? IO or RC? I haven't checked min yet.... sighhhh, I'll be back.
Old 10/10/2007, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

jon99 -- Did you mix the salt up really well before testing?
Old 10/10/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cd77
jon99 -- Did you mix the salt up really well before testing?
Yep. Atleat 5 -10 minutes. Checked salinity in each stirred some more, checked salinity again, stirred some more, etc. Until I was getting consistent readings for salinity
Old 10/10/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Checked the phosphate and nitrate in both. near 0 nitrates and 0.3 phosphate in both. This is from the DI water though. Tested it and it had same results
Old 10/10/2007, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

I meant the dry salt (the bucket or bag) -- did you shake that up?
Old 10/10/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

they were both 5 gallon buckets of salt. the IO was brand new, the RC about 2/3 full. No I did not mix it up. Just scooped salt outa the buckets and mixed with water. Never heard of mixing the salt before adding water. Is this necessary?
Old 10/10/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Well i am looking forward for you to try cos that's what im doing LOL
and curious to see the results...