Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

remora owners

hey i tried the search feature but couldnt really find any help.

i have the non pro remora with mj1200. Is there any better more powerful pump that would fit in the back of an aquapod 24 back compartment? my skimmate can only be wet. is there anyway i can mod the mj1200..

could adding an airline into the intake of the mj1200 cause it to increase the bubbles in the reaction chamber allowing me to raise the cup to get a less "wet" skimmate.

i think the mag drive 3 or 5 pumps are too big.

should i just get a tunze 9002? i heard really good things about this one. anyone selling this?

thanks for any help in advance.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

If you can afford to switch skimmers, it'll probably save you some head aches. I had a regular Remora also and changed to an Octopus 100F and was very pleased.

The reason you can't do anything really to the remora is because it works on spray injection, forcing water through a small hole to collide with water and create bubbles. An airline will only decrease performance and adding a bigger pump will more than likely over power the skimmer since it's not very big to begin w/.

Is this for your 70g tank or your new nano?

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 01/08/2008, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

it is for the nano... i guess i can look into selling the remora for a tunze 9002. they were the same price new.

man they werent kidding when they said this is an expensive hobby.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:56 AM
Premium Member

yeah no doubt. How big is the nano? Most people don't use skimmers on the nanos, doing small water changes weekly keeps the nutrient levels down enough.

Old 01/08/2008, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

its a 24g aquapod.. it does pull out stuff. about a cup full every week but its tea colored. i guess this is not too bad. i bought this skimmer bc of all the good reviews i heard here on RC. maybe i cant blame the skimmer, i do have have low bio load. regardless my nitrates still hover around 10-20 in there.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Have you tried raising the height of the collection cup so the skimmate is drier and more concentrated?
Old 01/08/2008, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

The problem w/ these i've heard, is you have to clean the cup a lot. like almost every day for some reason. It seems that people w/ the greatest success do this. It wasn't something I really wanted to take the time to do so I upgraded.

Old 01/08/2008, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

if i raise it up higher then i get no skimmate. its all or nothing.

i did notice that too.. day 3 onward after cleaning it barely skims.

how is it that i always end up reading the negative reviews only after i purchase something? hehe. anyway my luck i guess.

i will keep a look out in the forums for a tunze 9002 used. thanks everyone.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

i did the same thing. I even tried modding the remora into a meshwheel. I'm sure it would have worked, but I didn't want to deal w/ it anymore.

If you don't want to spend too much and want a good product, the Octopus BH100's are right around $100 and work good, there's a guy in the nano forums that just put it on his 24g all-in-one and seems to like it a lot.

Old 01/08/2008, 03:19 PM
Moved On

I used to have a remora... hated it to be honest. I got a rogue now, but that be overkill for you. I would agree on going with the octo.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

do yourself a favor and ditch that skimmer it was one of the worst things i have bought in this hobby for the price of it, my $50 skimmer skims better than my old remora pro. they are very over rated at least in my experience and a bunch of others i have read. its really not worth the money.