Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Softies with SPS?

Does anyone keep soft corals with their SPS? I was under the impression that it wasn't possible. But I just read an article that says it can be done.
Old 08/17/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

I keep zoas and sarcophyton with my SPSs.
Old 08/17/2007, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcio
I keep zoas and sarcophyton with my SPSs.
I know quite a few reefers that keep softies with their SPS as I do. As long as they are not too close there is no problem. The one exception in my opinion is star polyps simply because they spread so fast and will kill overtake everything.
Old 08/17/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Sarcophyton (and other leathers) are supposed to be an issue but I haven't noticed any.
Old 08/17/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

Depends on the coral. Montipora are pretty imperveous to most soft corals, IME. Acropora are moderately sensitive. The corals I really worry about are things like Euphyllia. Half the time they seem to melt at the sight of a tank full of soft corals. This interaction isn't restricted to soft corals vs. stonies though. I've seen Sarcophyton fall apart in tanks full of stony corals or mushroom polyps. I've seen Plerogyra fall apart in some aquariums with stony corals. Most corals get pretty nasty with each other, chemically.

cj

~ Touched by His noodly appendage ~
Old 08/17/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

I have lots of zoas, toadstool with SPS. Just run lots of carbon.....
Old 08/17/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

I haven't run carbon in about two months. I just never get around to it. I have some sacrophytons in my tank along with a green sinularia. I've always read that the sinularia will slow down the growth of SPS. Lately I've been having more problems with my LPS. I keep finding shiny polyps from Euphyllia settling on my SPS.

I agree with the statement on GSP. I originally had them in my tank and they grew over everything they encroached on.

I've posted this pic a few times but I'll post it again so you get the idea of my mixed reef.

Old 08/17/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

That is a beautiful tank. I am just starting to get into more sps corals. I dont have the money yet for another tank, so my reef is also very mixed. I have two large sinularias, a very large colt coral, as well as three decent sized leathers in my reef. I have had the since I started my tank. I now have many different sps frags scattered throughout the tank and they all seem ok. Since I had the softies first, I dont know how they have affected the growth rate of my sps, but nothing has killed each other. I also have a large frogspawn, a small galaxea colony, and a hammer frag, many zoas and lots of mushrooms all living quite gracefully pretty close together in a 55. Im sure they will do better when i finally seperate them though.
Old 08/17/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by insanefishguy
. I am just starting to get into more sps corals. I dont have the money yet for another tank, so my reef is also very mixed.
Just give them some space to keep them off of each other combined with good protein skimming and a little carbon to limit the chemical warfare and you should be ok.
Old 08/17/2007, 10:36 PM
><O>Euro-Reef*R*C500 <O><

Ditto as well on a beautiful tank

love the zoas looks awesome.
Old 08/17/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

So did you have sps first or soft corals first?
Old 08/18/2007, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

I got some zoos in my tank and have had no problems yet.
Old 08/18/2007, 12:27 AM
Premium Member

I have two large rock full of zoos and a huge toadstool without any ill affect (carbon, carbon and more carbon). This is what i have with the SPS

Old 08/18/2007, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

y'all would hate it if i don't post the FTS

Old 08/18/2007, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Amazing tanks guys! So do you run carbon constantly, or just when you add a new coral? Or do you just give the softies a lot of space? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Hello Joe, I run carbon 24/7 change out monthly. I never have any problem with loosing color or fading. Make sure they are not near the SPS.... As you know most of the solfty do release some nasty stuff....
Old 08/18/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

I haven't added carbon in two months. It's on my to do list along with paying some bills, house chores etc. For the last couple of years I've been running carbon 24/7 but even though I haven't gotten around to adding carbon all summer everything seems well. I've been good about my water changes over the summer though.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crabbejoe
So did you have sps first or soft corals first?
I had the softies well before I added any sps. A friend of mine had a mainly sps tank with a few lps and he said any time he tries to add a sinularia, it just disintegrates.

As far as running carbon, I will admit that I have not put my canister back on my tank since I moved about a month ago. So far, I have not seen any signs of distress or regression. Previously, I changed out my carbon when I fragged my stuff to trim it back, which was usually about once a month.

While we are talking about carbon, does anyone use chemi-pure instead of carbon? Thoughts on chemi-pure? Sorry to derail a lil...
Old 08/19/2007, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

My tank is a 64 cube that is primarily SPS, however, I do have several varieties of mushrooms, zooanthids, a green finger leather, and a ton of xenia in there. The thing with all of these though is that they are isolated from the SPS wall via a small "island" in the left front corner of the tank. I do monthly water changes, run carbon, and skim. So far I haven't had any problems. The xenia (pom pom) use to be in real close proximity to an M. digitata (touching it occasionally), but I never noticed any ill effects. My only gripe is the occasional mushroom that will get loose because of all the flow and that usually winds up in my SPS "section" and attaches before I can get it. I just slice them off with a razor blade, and usually give them away or trade them, but it gets to be a headache on occasion.

What the world really needs is a zero tolerance policy on ignorance.

He who limps is still walking.
Old 08/19/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

I have a mostly sps tank, but have had a xenia and a gorgonian from the beginning. I just added a small zooanthid colony, and starting wondering if I needed to run carbon. What would you all suggest for someone just beginning to run it? How should I start, how should it be administered? Thanks.
Old 08/19/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

I run 1 cup of carbon for 100g total water volume. Carbon will be in the filter bag and place it in the high flow area of the sump or you can run it in the reactor with slow water flow through it, change out monthly.
Old 08/19/2007, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

I have been mixing them for years and I have never confirmed any problem that was caused from the softies. By softies I mean leathers, sinularia, zoanthids and ricordia. Anemones are another matter as they will eventually move and sting a coral unless they are carpets and then they eat your fish. ALWAYS. I keep the anemones in a separate tank that is plumbed into the main system so they share water and chemistry but they are segregated mechanically. I do not run carbon regulary but do sometimes. I dont run it because of the soft corals though. Ther are other reasons for the carbon.
Old 08/24/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

I keep yellow leathers with my SPS acroporas (close enough
to almost touch) with no ill effects to either.