Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/20/2006, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Needlewheel skimmer

I have looked through the whole forum, and haven't found the information that I need. Is it possible to mod a traditional impeller and make it perform like a needlewheel? I am going to attempt to do so and if it works I'll post some pics.
Old 07/20/2006, 08:17 PM
no time for spell check!

that all depends on the type of pump you are going to use. i have modded a couple of different pumps but they were both direct drive pumps and not mag drive pumps.
Old 07/20/2006, 09:14 PM
Team RC Member

Yes, it can be done. Some people use bio-balls for their "needle wheel."
Old 07/21/2006, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

I think mag pump will make a great needle wheel pump if some one could come up with a good mod for the needle wheel.

Loc
Old 07/21/2006, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

I've seen this topic come up so many times and I've seen the bio ball, but I've heard mixed opinions with it comes to the 3M bristle disk:

I've modified a 3M bristle disk to glue on an impeller, but I don't want to destroy my impeller until I find a replacement impeller first. I've taken detailed pics step by step of what has been done so far.

Has anyone else done it before? I originally found this idea on Reef Frontiers by DonW:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...y+needle+wheel
Old 07/21/2006, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

I just ordered an impeller for a Gen X 2400 to get the ball rolling. It should be here in approx 5 business days.
Old 07/21/2006, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Here is one Mag 12 nw
Old 07/21/2006, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

That one is the coolest NW I've ever seen.
Old 07/21/2006, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

wow...that was great. I think that I am going to buy myself another impeller and try that out. Thanks for the link. I'll post some pics of what I come up with later.
Old 07/22/2006, 11:00 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by RandyStacyE
I've seen this topic come up so many times and I've seen the bio ball, but I've heard mixed opinions with it comes to the 3M bristle disk:

I've modified a 3M bristle disk to glue on an impeller, but I don't want to destroy my impeller until I find a replacement impeller first. I've taken detailed pics step by step of what has been done so far.

Has anyone else done it before? I originally found this idea on Reef Frontiers by DonW:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...y+needle+wheel
Randy, are those metal, or plastic?
Old 07/22/2006, 12:50 PM
Why do I live in IL?

The problem I see with these is that there are far too many bristles. The needlewheel inside of my Aquabee 2000-1 has only 2 rows of pins...thats it! This one has what 5 - 10? Plus they are very densely packed, unlike the Aquabee.
Old 07/22/2006, 07:12 PM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
The problem I see with these is that there are far too many bristles. The needlewheel inside of my Aquabee 2000-1 has only 2 rows of pins...thats it! This one has what 5 - 10? Plus they are very densely packed, unlike the Aquabee.
But who says the aquabee is the optimum design?

You're probably right horace, but I think (If theyre plastic) it would be easy to take them off with a dremel.

The real issue I see is that I could only find them in 2 and 3 inch models, which is a REALLY BIG pump.
Old 07/23/2006, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

RichConley,
They are ‘like rubber’, a pretty tough rubber, but with an abrasive in them. They are for paint stripping and polishing I think.

Horace,
I’ve thought about them being too dense with bristles. What do you think about this?

Anything’s possible with these things.

RichConley,
Did you try NAPA? That’s where I bought mine. I would compare the fine, medium and coarse if they stock all 3. I didn’t do that when I bought the medium.
Old 07/23/2006, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

you think the abrasive material could leach out of them and polute your tank ?
Old 07/23/2006, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

I'm not worried about it. 99.9% of the abrasive is embedded/encapsulated in the rubber. I’m more worried as to whether or not the ‘rubber’ itself is ‘reef safe’, but not that worried I’m doing it anyway.
Old 07/23/2006, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

I am note sure why you would not be worried about the exposed abrasive? It is most likely (er surely) aluminum oxide. I would not want that in contact with my tank water. I suppose you could coat it with a dip into some light bodied epoxy...
Old 07/28/2006, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

I just recieved the impeller yesterday. It shouldn't take too long to finish it now.