Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/31/2005, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

How to make a siphon break?

Hi,
I am trying to make a siphon break on my return pump. I am having trouble making the siphon stop with a small hole. Can someone please give me a detailed description of how to make one? Also, pictures would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 10/31/2005, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

put a hole in the tub above the water lvl, that should do it i geussing by what i understand of siphons, not experience
Old 10/31/2005, 05:39 PM
stop the insults, please

Yep, its just a hole at or slightly below water level with the return pump running. You might try adding an extra hole or two, or making your hole bigger. Its usually a good idea to have at least 2 holes so a snail over the hole won't flood the tank if the power goes out.
Old 10/31/2005, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Drill a hole just below the water line on your return nozzle. When the hole sucks in air the siphon should break.
Old 10/31/2005, 05:43 PM
Dendrophyllia Arbuseula

I used 2 x 1/4" holes on my returns.
Old 10/31/2005, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking of adding this to my return line:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=FT9055

but I dont know how it will affect the pressure on the line... Has anyone had any experience with thses check valves? Or is it just easier to drill a hole?
Old 10/31/2005, 06:43 PM
stop the insults, please

Check valves reduce flow AND are notorious for failure. I would not suggest using one in any situation other than as a backup.
Old 10/31/2005, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

from personal experience a 3/16" hole above the water line does a fantastic job and for me did not cause any negative effects. Im not sure why the general practice is to place the hole under the water line. put it over and you wont have to wait for the water level to drop to break the syphon. it will just never get started.
Old 10/31/2005, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Areze - Doesnt water from the return pump escape through the hole when it is above the water line? I would think that would get pretty messy...
Old 10/31/2005, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bromanzier
Areze - Doesnt water from the return pump escape through the hole when it is above the water line? I would think that would get pretty messy...
That's why a lot of people put it below water level. I guess it all depends on the size of the hole and the pressure. I know mine had to be placed below water level because I had a pretty good jet of water coming out of it.

Ron

Edit: Also, putting it above water level promotes salt creep.

>)))'><'(((<
Never frown,
Even when you're sad,
Because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.
Old 10/31/2005, 08:29 PM
stop the insults, please

Salt creep/spray/splash - yep that's why I put it just barely under the water line (where the water line is when the return pump is running)!
Old 10/31/2005, 08:30 PM
Moved out

YEAH!!!! And it will shoot half way across the room!!! LOL I just setup my tank a month or so ago and did the drill trick to the return line. Wasnt paying attention and unintentionally drilled above the water line and at an angle pointing toward the ceiling... Yep.. You guessed it... Geiser!!!!

Chris
Old 10/31/2005, 08:31 PM
stop the insults, please

lol Chris that reminds me of a story. When I was a kid my brother and I were playing darts. He hit a bullseye but the dart fell out. It hit a bottle of seltzer that was (stupidly) under the dart board. The dart caused a spray of seltzer that hit a bulb in the chandelier knocking out that bulb.
Old 10/31/2005, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

If I run an air line tube into the outlet of the return nozzle and left it out of the water would it be enough to break the siphon?
Old 10/31/2005, 08:37 PM
stop the insults, please

I don't know the answer to that, but I'd worry about the airline becoming a return line. I'd definately hang it over the aquarium if you try it. And if you try it I'd test cutting the power to make sure it works.

Why not just drill though? Its known to work and less clutter.
Old 10/31/2005, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

I drilled locline; and not a drip escapes. the salt creep is a realistic arguement though. Ill keep a close eye on that to see if it happens;

by the way; my return is a mag 9.5 with 2 3/4" locline outputs. somewhere around 300-400gph per nozzle I figure; I cant imagine how much more flow there could be from a single nozzle out of the sump return. thats supposed to be pretty low flow isnt it?
Old 10/31/2005, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

I did drill a small hole and it didn't work. I will have to drill a larger one tomorrow. I have also installed an airline tube in the return it definitly seems to help but I don't know if it was enough to break the siphon. I will test it tomorrow. It definintly has become part of the return and needs to be over the tank. Makes a nice waterfall effect .
Old 10/31/2005, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

edit; or Ill just drill a hole under the water line too so its got insurance on top of insurance.