Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/19/2005, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

AHA! Figured out CL system (finally)

Wow..there's so much information to digest on a closed loop system, but here's what I am going to setup. I have a 20L sump for my 75gal tank. I already have that plumbed and working. I think that from all the posts and such, the idea is to have another pump for the CL system. Please correct me if I am wrong. I did the head loss calcualtions with 12 effluents around the perimeter of the top of the tank and will need about 1500-2000gph flow. So, my thinking is feed the overflow box directly to an Iwaki pump then straight back to my CL system. If I get the pump right, that should eliminate the need for a ball valve. That should give me plenty of turbulence for anything that I would grow in my tank. Please critique away.
Old 08/19/2005, 01:47 PM
Parapterois heterura

Its a bit hard to follow without pics or diagrams... but I fear you are off a bit here.

With 12 effluent tees, you want/need 300---500 gallons per nozzle (depending on size of nozzles 1/2" - 1") or more. On 12 tees... that adds up to way more than 2000 gph.

Your 75 gall tank if it is a traditional reef display will need 2000 gph to 4000 gph total turnover, this is true.

So... for starters, I think you simply have too many tees. Well... too many running tees. I really like the fact that you have twelve. You can cap off 4-5 and move the caps around in time as the flow needs of the tank changes.

The manifold is to be driven by an internal or external pump that is separate(!) from the overflow drain. This pump should be at least 2400-3000 gph (again... bigger would be even better).

The overflow than can drain down to your sump and have a small/modest pump (even less than 1000 gph) doing a sump loop here.
Old 08/19/2005, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Anthony

Ok, that's what I was little fuzzy about. I do want to have 12 tees so I can cap off or just change where the flow is coming from sometimes. Also I am going to use 1" tees for maximum flow. As far as flow rate, I thought that I had done the math right, but after you replied I did it again..I needed way more than the 2K/h just like you said.
Old 08/19/2005, 02:14 PM
Parapterois heterura

all good, bro

The 1" tees will indeed be better for more/diffused flow and better overall flow from the reduced friction loss to the pump. But, still... it does indeed require more water to drive it.

If heat is not an issue, there is the MAG36 submersible.

Else you may well be best to stick with an Iwaki (my first choice)

Sequence Reefflo also gets high marks by some folks for its value pricing/performance.
Old 08/19/2005, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Thank you again

I am going to use an Iwaki, which model I'm not quite sure yet. They seem to be very reliable, and if I can flood the pump, it should be relatively quiet too. I want to make sure that I can keep the correct flow through the loop without starving any of the outlets for more water.
Old 08/19/2005, 02:27 PM
Parapterois heterura

exactly correct

Best of luck... I am looking forward to hearing of your progress/project.
Old 08/20/2005, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

hmm..

It looks like the Iwaki MD100RLT is the pump to get. It's got a 2K/hr flowrate and that's the biggest one I have found yet that is consumer grade. The WP-IKMDX401-CV7 is an Iwaki commercial setup with 4800gph capacity with 1 1/2" inlet/outlet. Maybe that is the way to go. Off to work to get the $$ for that one

Last edited by casethekid; 08/20/2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08/21/2005, 12:19 PM
Parapterois heterura

The 1.5" outlet is much better suited to driving a CL manifold. Do keep the manifold pipe the same or as close to this as possible throughout.