Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2005, 02:22 PM
Team RC Member

Get a dwarf moray eel. There just a brownish color and have awsome designs on them. The good thing is that they only get 24''. If you want a more colorful fish then get a snaowflake eel.
Old 01/07/2005, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

i've read the ReefKeeping articles on eels and the one guy talked about doing the under sandbed pvc tubing. it sounded cool at first but then i started thinking about critters other than the eel going in there and possibly getting eaten. of course, if it is under the sand, you cant see whats going on under there. what if the eel dies and you dont even know cuz he's under there somewhere. it did also seem like a mess to clean. the whole idea seemed cool but i quickly changed my mind.
Old 01/07/2005, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

well alot of people put pvc under there rock worke, for there eels, and it is not accessable, i dont see why that would be a bad idea at all, if the eel can get the animal in the pvc 2 eat it, then im shure he would try to eat it when its not in the pvc, i might try that lol
Old 01/07/2005, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

I have a 28" tesselata and a 36" black spot moray in my 180.Never any aggression between them.Both these eels were 16" apiece when I got them.The tesselata I've had for 2 yrs. and the black spot for 3. Plan your filtration to handle the eels full grown size.I followed Frank Marini's advice in his 2002 article in the link provided earlier and built a series of tunnels with 4" pvc pipes.The eels couldn't be happier.Before that they would demolish the rockwork and slap it against the side of the tank.It's amazing how easily they can move 8-10 lb. pieces of rock.
Old 01/07/2005, 06:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slave-of-rock
well alot of people put pvc under there rock worke, for there eels, and it is not accessable, i dont see why that would be a bad idea at all, if the eel can get the animal in the pvc 2 eat it, then im shure he would try to eat it when its not in the pvc, i might try that lol
i does seem like a cool idea. i guess if others have tried it in the past it might not be so bad. someday, when i get a tank set up, i'll have to try it.
Old 01/10/2005, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

I have a Brazilian Dwarf Moray. He was pricey but worth every dime! He is presently 15 inches long. He has brown, not blue eyes and he will swim through the water but doesn't try to escape. I have a tight glass hood just in case. He eats mostly frozen shrimp which he steals out of the other fishes mouths when they are feeding. He can't see well. Today he chased my 3 inch cowfish around the tank. I think he was trying to eat him. Scared me to death since normally he is not aggressive. Guess he was hungry!!:-) Fed him some shrimp and now he is back to fat and lazy. It is a great eel though and I highly recommend it. It is my first eel. I bought it for its spectacular beauty, and have no regrets. I have had him for 7 months.
Old 01/11/2005, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

I am also planning an eel purchase.I am leaning towards the jeweled eel.Zebra second.
Does anybody have a jeweled eel ,and what kind of behavior do they exhibit?
I have a 15inch snowflake that Iv'e had for two years.He is in with ,para oxy damsel4",dwarf lion,and a 3" hawkfish.The hawk sleeps in the powerhead stream.Very smart,as all eels are potential fish eaters and this masks their smell...He is my third,had a couple of carpet surfers.
He is very,very aggressive.He has gotten two fish and a large hermit crab.
He came up out of water about 4inches and bit my girlfriend ,drew blood,when she was feeding the lion with a bamboo skewer.
All eel tanks need a lid.I took an old aluminum storm window as a top.I put hinges on it.Works good.I put a locking mechanism to lock down lid.
My skimmer aerates the water sufficiently,with an enclosed lid.
Mike
Old 01/11/2005, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

as far as aggression level, the jeweled is low to moderate, you should be able to keep other large fish with it. Mine never at a tankmate, though he was in with some bruisers (grouper, trigger, dogface puffer). I would feed it everyday, rather that every other like some people feed eels. That may lessen the small risk.
Old 01/12/2005, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Jeweled is a handsome fella but listed as aggressive.
I think I'm going with the zebra.Listed as docile.
Docile and eel in the same sentence lol.
We'll see.Very very cool animals.All of 'em.

Triggerman
Old 01/12/2005, 01:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Triggerman1964
Jeweled is a handsome fella but listed as aggressive.
I think I'm going with the zebra.Listed as docile.
Docile and eel in the same sentence lol.
We'll see.Very very cool animals.All of 'em.

Triggerman
Jewels are very beuatiful eels, but good call with the zebra, IME, they are very, very peaceful toward fish of all sizes.
Old 01/12/2005, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

hey kinda off topic but I have this eel that I got with some liverock pic in my gallery not really sure what type it is but think it is a fimbriatus... currently fang is in my quarentine tank eating mysis, krill and silversides, ... I would like to know if it is a piscavore, and if so then what would the minimum size tank that would be recommended as I will not return it to my 265 with my dwarf lions if it is a piscavore and reaches a size where my lions would be in jeopordy
Old 01/12/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iammatt219
hey kinda off topic but I have this eel that I got with some liverock pic in my gallery not really sure what type it is but think it is a fimbriatus... currently fang is in my quarentine tank eating mysis, krill and silversides, ... I would like to know if it is a piscavore, and if so then what would the minimum size tank that would be recommended as I will not return it to my 265 with my dwarf lions if it is a piscavore and reaches a size where my lions would be in jeopordy
one of these possibly? Banana Eel

btw, you have a 265 gal Reef or FO with dwarf lions? i'd like to get (someday) a 280 gal Reef with a dwarf zebra lion...just wondering how that would turn out....
Old 01/12/2005, 11:26 PM
I glue animals to rocks

Hey it does really look like a banana eel. A possible full body shot could help id futher. If it is a banana eel, that is one sweet $200 LR hitchhiker!

My snowflake eel is doing well. There is a chromis in the tank with him and during feeding time the eel gets a lot more aggressive and chases the chromis around. The chromis is way too fast for him though. Makes me worried about when I add in a dwarf lion though...

Business lesson 101 - "I put these changes machines everywhere and haven't made a dime!"
Old 01/12/2005, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

265 not finished, slowly adding live rock, dunno what I am gonna do as an end result, just got tank, upgrading from 135 with center overflow with some cheezy deco's
Old 01/13/2005, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by castor
Hey it does really look like a banana eel. A possible full body shot could help id futher. If it is a banana eel, that is one sweet $200 LR hitchhiker!

My snowflake eel is doing well. There is a chromis in the tank with him and during feeding time the eel gets a lot more aggressive and chases the chromis around. The chromis is way too fast for him though. Makes me worried about when I add in a dwarf lion though...
thats my worry, b/c i want an eel and a dwarf lion in a reef tank together. i hope they'd get along.

that is a hell of a hitchhiker too dude!
Old 01/13/2005, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

fimbrated morays do eat fish, not sure about banana eels.
Old 01/23/2005, 05:42 AM
Registered Member

Hi there,

I've got a gymnomuraena zebra (zebra moray) in my 460 lt. tank, along with a premmas biaculeatus (maroon clown fish), two damsel fish a pair of stenophus hispidus (banded shrimp), some lysmata wurdemanni (peppermint shrimp), five astraea/turbo snails, and a strombus luhanus (fighting conch).

The moray never bothers the other inhabitants, and even gets cleaned by some of them. The zebra is a good option if the tank is big enough and has plenty of rock to hide in. She stays with her head out watching and waiting. She goes crazy when she smells a mussel (throwing one in the tank is an easy and amazing way to feed her) and fully gets out of her hide tracing its smell.

I even have some corals in the tank and have no problems if I do about 20 % water change once a month. These corals are sinularias, sarcophytons, caulastrea, lobophyllia, anthelia, discosomas, actinodiscus, clavularia; but bear in mind that it is very important a good skimmer system (I run two skimmers, a beckett DIY one and a Turboflotor).

One more thing; zebra morays are very quiet animals, mine moves slowly, avoiding corals and delicate polyps, and never tried to get out of the tank, though it's fully open.

Good luck with your zebra, I will soon post some photos of mine.
Old 01/23/2005, 10:29 AM
Moved On

Iammatt219
You are correct that is the eel you have. It will eat fish. Also if I am not mistaken it's a but on the agressive side.