Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Question Which Protein skimmer to choose?

Hello everyone,

I have a bit of a problem, I don't know which skimmer I should choose for my setup. Specs, are listed below:

120 Gallon Tall-

Inhabitants:

Koran Angel
Porcupine Puffer
Marroon Clow
Yellow Tang
Melarnus Wrasse
Snowflake Eel

Current Protein Skimmer: SeaClone and a Red Sea Berlin Skimmer

The skimmers I have now are just not doing the job. I'm gradually moving towards a SPS dominant tank and would like to get a new skimmer. I know that some of these fish shouldn't be in that type of ecosystem, but they haven't touched any of the coral that is in there now. Back to my skimmer issue though, I cannot decide on a skimmer that would fit into a sump and would not be too tall because then it would not fit under my stand. I'm limited to about 25''-28'' tall skimmer. I have looked at the PM bullet skimmers and at the Octopuse skimmers and I can't make up my mind.

If anyone would have some ideas or suggestions in which direction I should go with picking out a skimmer, I would appreciate it. Thank you for your time and suggestions.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 01/09/2008, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

I would check out the MSX 200 from Marine Solutions. Initial reviews are good and it would do a great job on this size tank for $375.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 01/09/2008, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

ASM G3 ..... running a modified one on my 300g/125g combo set up and works great.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Not meant to disrespect, but there was a time apparently when ASM skimmers were the best bang for the buck, but now there are many skimmers that outperform for less $$. I would go read up on the countless "which skimmer should i buy" threads on the Lighting, Filtration and Equip forum, that should you a good idea of the best options.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 01/09/2008, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

i wont disagree..but so many people have them that easy to get great used ones like I did...ASM G3 with Sendra 5000 and Sendra 9000 for $175

So look for deals on good used skimmers
Old 01/09/2008, 10:29 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Contact Poppy re: his skimmer.

Heck, everyone always advocates the skimmer they currently use. Something about skimmers ... we have to justify our own choice.

I recommend, though, if going needlewheel or meshwheel that you get a skimmer with a bubble diffuser, and decide how much tinkering you are up for doing to perfect it. I have overwhelming stores of patience for tinkering to perfect my skimmer.

Looks to me like those cheap-o Octopus skimmers coming out require a lot of work particularly on the impellers. The photos I have seen appear to be shoddy work on the mesh mod on those.

Pay more, like for an ATI Bubblemaster you tinker less. Pay still more, like for a Bubbleking, tinker even less.

But I'd at least check out the Orca Systems skimmer Poppy has but hasn't used yet.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/10/2008, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

I have a 120 with an Octopuse skimmer on it and I love it. I need to clean it out every two to three days and the gunk it gets out is like mud it's the best skimmer I've owned to date.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Check out H&S A150 great skimmer, be good fit for your tank.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

what you need is the most awesome skimmer on the market.....

THE SKILTER!!!!

just kidding everyone!
Old 01/10/2008, 10:34 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

If you want to know what the best skimmer is PM me. I know which is the best but I dont want to let the secret out. I trust you and am considering letting you in on the secret. Its not that I dont want anybody else to know its that I really really like Led Zepplin. They stopped while they are at the top of their game, they didnt just keep going for the money.
Anyway, PM me and I will tell you the secret.
In the mean time I will give you a clue.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/10/2008, 10:37 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Jeff, I think it's about time you clean that thing.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/10/2008, 10:43 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Hehe, thats the cleanest that skimmer ever was. Its filthy now

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/10/2008, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
Jeff, I think it's about time you clean that thing.
He did with soap
Old 01/10/2008, 11:54 PM
Hawks Rule!

I would definitely get rid of the puffer and probably even the eel if you're going to go SPS. Not only are they a huge load on the tank, but the puffer might chomp on "things" and the eel is going to knock them over. The angel might be a problem too with nipping the polyps.

JMO.

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 01/11/2008, 02:01 AM
Premium Member

I have Oct-NW 200 with gate valve FS,which is a few months old. pm if interested.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=Octopus
Old 01/11/2008, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaticman74
I would definitely get rid of the puffer and probably even the eel if you're going to go SPS. Not only are they a huge load on the tank, but the puffer might chomp on "things" and the eel is going to knock them over. The angel might be a problem too with nipping the polyps.

JMO.
Ya, I realized I would have to get rid of them some time. Except, I really do love the puffer and would hate to see him go. So far he hasn't chompped on anything but, I will observe him now that you mentioned it. As for the eel, he will have to go, he has been knocking all my frags over.. Thank you for your opinion, it is very much appreciated.

Engine7 I sent you a PM
Old 01/11/2008, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Waughon
I have Oct-NW 200 with gate valve FS,which is a few months old. pm if interested.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...y_Code=Octopus
Thanks for the offer, I will keep you in mind. I need to think everything over.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:53 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Pm has been answered. The secret is out

Old 01/11/2008, 04:59 PM
Hawks Rule!

Sorry, after all that babbling I didn't even suggest a skimmer....

Coralvue has an awesome new skimmer coming out next month for $450 +/-.

Here's a link.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1290142

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 01/11/2008, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquaticman74
Sorry, after all that babbling I didn't even suggest a skimmer....

Coralvue has an awesome new skimmer coming out next month for $450 +/-.

Here's a link.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1290142
I looked into it and I think that is a pretty good skimmer choice. Engine7's is also a good one. I have to make up my mind know
Old 01/11/2008, 09:38 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

If you are considering an ATI, I will just say you absolutely can't go wrong. Tried and tested, you can find them used. I think it's a no brainer.

Todd's (Poppy's) Orca Systems skimmer is a US-made version of the BM200 and will work as well and likely for a bit less, or including the sump if it's a package.

Old 01/11/2008, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are considering an ATI, I will just say you absolutely can't go wrong. Tried and tested, you can find them used. I think it's a no brainer.

Todd's (Poppy's) Orca Systems skimmer is a US-made version of the BM200 and will work as well and likely for a bit less, or including the sump if it's a package.
Ya, I'm leaning towards that direction. It's kinda pricey but, probably well worth it. Does it come with the mesh mod? Ya I was going to buy poppy's but someone stepped in front of me, Hope the deal falls through. Just kidding I just would like to buy that one with the sump.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:47 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

ATI skimmers work out of the box.

Old 01/11/2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
ATI skimmers work out of the box.
What do you mean by that? Sorry for asking probably a stupid question.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:51 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

They are meshwheel skimmers. No adjustments needed at all. Set it up and it works.