Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/08/2005, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

There isn't conclusive proof, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to make me worried about introducing a sick magnifica in with a healthy one. People here have had healthy magnificas show signs of disease after a second anemone was introduced and died.

It just makes sense from the symptoms that these guys show that it is some kind of infection that takes hold. If there is a bacteria that infects these guys and contributes to the high death rate, I would be surprised if it couldn't be transmitted.

I do not know of anyone who has looked into this other than the success with antibiotic treatment at the Atlantis aquarium and a few hobbyists who have tried it.

Magnificas just fascinate me like nothing else in this hobby, and I hope I can someday get answers to some of these questions. Until that time I'm just trying to protect my healthy magnifica from my impulse buying and rescue attempts
Old 09/08/2005, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

As for the anemone, it is hanging in there. It closes its mouth tight when I swish the tenticles and the tenticles are moving a bit, so I'm not giving up completely.

I think I will risk transfering it to the display for the flow after the antibiotic treatment. I just havn't been able to figure out a way to get good random flow in a QT, never mind the fact that I don't have a good light to use without some major work.

I plan on suspending it above the rockwork so it is easy to remove if nessecary, it is close to the light, won't touch corals, and I won't have to change the aquascape.
Old 09/09/2005, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Keep us updated Cindy! I'm keeping fingers crossed for ya.
Old 09/09/2005, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flighty
... I think I will risk transfering it to the display for the flow after the antibiotic treatment. I just havn't been able to figure out a way to get good random flow in a QT,.......
You can get quite a bit of water movement if you take the airstone off your tubing. The larger bubbles will create a lot of motion.
Old 09/09/2005, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

just tagging along this interesting thread.
Old 09/09/2005, 05:27 PM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by phender
You can get quite a bit of water movement if you take the airstone off your tubing. The larger bubbles will create a lot of motion.
I would remove the airstone or use coarse stones as well.

fwiw: I use a natural wave timer power strip with 2 little air pumps to create surge. I have had less issues with larger air bubbles getting trapped inside the anemone when they gape as well.
Old 09/09/2005, 10:08 PM
Registered Member.

what about a few limewood airstones they produce a ton of bubbles they should move the nen good.
Old 09/09/2005, 10:10 PM
RC Mod

The fine air bubbles tend to get caught in an anemone with an open mouth....not pretty.
Old 09/09/2005, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

The nem is now in the display with tunzes and nice lighting. It is actually looking a little better. Only time will tell...
Old 09/09/2005, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by traveller7
The fine air bubbles tend to get caught in an anemone with an open mouth....not pretty.
A bit of air had gotten caught in the tissue this morning. I was using large bubble producing stones, but the nem fliped over partially onto one. It had disapeared an few hours later though.
Old 10/06/2005, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

How is the anemone? Is it ok and healthy?
Old 10/06/2005, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Unfortunately it didn't make it. It was way too far gone.

For the geeks among us, I really think that something happens to the mesogloea between the ectoderm and the endoderm when these guys are sick. You can see something going on and the layers of tissue slide against each other. The tenticles seem to be hollow shells of just the ectoderm with nematocysts.
Old 10/06/2005, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

WEll I just ordered another one from live-aquaria. It came in looking like a pile of due yesterday, and not moving. After acclimatiing it for about 5 hours, it seems to have a bit of life. Not inflating or anything, but I'm going to administer the anti's to it and see what happens. If it turns out for the better I will post a thread with pics.

thanks
Old 10/06/2005, 05:04 PM
Premium Member

Could you take pics now? I'm just curious.
Old 10/06/2005, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justjoe
When most anemones are shipped from overseas, they are shipped in bascially no water, and arrive in a soup of mucus. [
The last time I was in Tahiti I brought back three H. magnifica. These were the color morph with the bright red base, brown tentacles with white tips. I collected them during vacation (had a hard time finding ones small enough to collect) and kept them in a float cage under the dock until the day I left. I got up early in the morning, put them in individual bags with lots of water and about 2/3rds air, and put them in a coleman cooler that I duct-taped shut. Total time in transit was perhaps 18 hours from ocean to my tank. When I got home the anemones were all in great condition and were fully acclimated and eating within 24 hours of being in my tank.

Personally I think most of the trouble we are having with anemones is time in transit, number of intermediate stops, and general handling in the distribution channel. If there was a way you could order direct from the collectors, and have the animal overnighted to your doorstep, I doubt we would have the same problems.
Old 10/07/2005, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

WEll when I first got as I said it was not moving and was completly deflated. It looked like it had a purple boot and the tips of the tentacles looked pink. Everything was squared off. I aclimated it to the water in my tank via drip method over about 4-5hours. I then grabbed a net and placed it in the tank in a net prison. Upon lifting it and placing it in the tank, it immediately started to ease a white smokey looking substance into the water out of two tubes located somewhere around its mouth.

It looked as though a gas bomb had went off and the smoke was oosing. WEll this didn't last long, soon after it just deflated back to a small mesh. I really didn't think it was going to last much longer. I did not take amny pics of the anemone at this point, because it was dark in the room and I was more concerned in getting it in the tank. I think I took one or two, but the lighting was not good so you couldn't see anything.

Well to my amazement the next day it was stuck to the side of the mesh prison. Inflated some what. I didn't look like it was purple anymore, I cant really tell yet what color the boot was. Oh and I couldn't see the pink tips anymore either. I did snap a shot of it though from the top of the tank.
Old 02/07/2006, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Bumping to provide info requested by pm

Still not sure how I feel on the whole antibiotic issue, but it deserves looking into someday. Anyone have any grant money burning a hole in their pocket?
Old 08/09/2007, 09:33 PM
Lazy reefer

Very interesting thread.
I think in TRA 2, Delbeek and Sprung mention treating sick anemones (S. gigantea) with antibiotic help survival of this species.
Minh
Old 08/10/2007, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Great thread! Anyone else with experience treating any anemones with antibiotics?
Old 12/30/2007, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

bump
Old 12/30/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

hey phender...you're a teacher...how about doing a lesson on petri dishes, specimen collection, microscope use, fungus, bacteria and viruses with a little sterility and cross contamination thrown in?

Old 12/30/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Or maybe I should just write a microbiology lab book.

Last time I isolated and IDed a bacteria was 25 years ago.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Flighty- thanks for resurrecting this old thread, interesting reading!

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff
Old 01/02/2008, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

Flighty & Phender,

I can only add my experiances to the thread, maybe they'll help, maybe they wont. Here goes...

Purchased 1st H.magnifica from phishybusiness. After a week or two of touch and go behavior, (deflating and generally looking like crap for a few hours while acclimating to my lighting), the anemone began doing great. After about a year, I found another one for sale from another online vender. I got this anemone in and it looked a little rough, so I hurried through the acclimation and put it in the tank. The only other thing I added to the tank during this time was a Red Sea Regal Angel. The new H.mag did not make it. Shortly before it died, my healthy one began to show the same symptoms as the new one, flacid tentacles, slack mouth, tentacles withdrawing inside themselves almost like fingerless gloves. I was pretty upset since I'd had this anemone for over a year at this point.

I talked to one of the LFS guys here in StL who seems to have better than average luck with anemones in his store. He stated he dips all anemones in Doxicyclene for about 8 hours after they arrive from the shipment. He said his wholesaler told him to do it for best results. I was able to beg a couple of doxicyclene pills from him. Took the once healthy, now sick H.mag, and placed it into a specimen container with a dox pill, (100 mgs), added an airstone. The nem began to slime and with the airstone, I had a foam dox bath going in short order. After 5 hours, I did a 100% water change, and used another Dox pill. Left the nem in that mix for another 12 hours.

The nem made a full recovery and I still have it. I decided then and there that I would dip all incoming nems to prevent another cross contamination.

Hope that helps,

Nick