Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of St. Louis (SEASL)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

How's your Nem doing?
Old 01/02/2008, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

01-02-08

Sorry about the long break in between posts....holidays, work, being sick, blah, blah, blah.....

Anyway,
The new Ritteri is still alive, amazingly enough. Its severely bleached, and the tentacles are not sticky. It also wont attach to anything. Its currently in an eggcrate "box" inside the tank, to still get light and flow, and not be blown around the tank. Thats the bad side of things with the anemone...

The good side is that it ate a small piece of raw shrimp today, its mouth has been tight, no more slack jaw/imminent death look, and its regrowing tentacles in the shredded area. They look like little nubbins for the moment, but will no doubt regrow to normal tentacles over time. I'm just glad it ate to be honest. That gives me hope that it will survive. If it continues to eat, then it should be fine. Even though its bleached, its not deflating and wilting away from the light.

I bought a small Convict Tang, Acanthurus triostegus, from Clayton Pet Emporium the other day. Its smaller than the Purple Tang, at about the size of a quarter. The purple is now a little larger than a silver dollar, but has the attitude of a much larger fish. So the Convict went straight into the 120. Convict's arent the sexiest fish out there, but he is kinda cute, (in a kinda baby basset hound kinda way), and they are the most docile of all Acanthurus tangs. They will get beaten up by almost everything else out there, so its good to get them in first if your interested in getting one at all. When I was a kid in Hawaii, we would catch them fishing with hook and line and eat them. Pretty good if you grill em right.

I have no intentions of eating this little guy, I just want him to munch on algae. Hopefully between him and the purple, one of them will take a liking to the halimeda algae I have in the 120...

I just changed out all my RO/DI filters including the membrane on top. It was the one that came with the RO unit originally, some 4 years ago. I've been going through filters fairly quickly lately, and I want to see if that slows the process down, I'm willing to bet it does.

Anyway, thats about it for now.

Nick