Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: The reason for keeping SPS.
I like the challenge more then the look of the corals. 27 19.15%
I like the look of the corals more then anything. 114 80.85%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07/02/2007, 01:57 AM
Moved On

Why do you keep SPS?

There is a thread on another section on this forum, where SPS is being discussed...It has been said that our #1 reason for keeping SPS has to do with the challenge and liking the look of SPS takes a secondary position. I disagree with this statement, so I will start a poll to see why people keep SPS and maybe I will be proved wrong.

So please answer the poll honestly and just answer.
Old 07/02/2007, 03:18 AM
Moved On

I think my last sentence, is very confusing...What I meant by just answer, was at least answer the poll...if you want to say something of course, by all means say it, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
Old 07/02/2007, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

They are the most representative creatures of coral reef ecosystems.
Old 07/02/2007, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

sps are definately the brightest corals out there
Old 07/02/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

I am pretty new to keeping SPS corals. I have had a couple for the past year or so but it hasn't been until recently that I am moving out all of my soft corals and bumping up my flow for a SPS only tank. Neither of the above options is my primary reason for keeping SPS. I like the structure or overall look of SPS more than anything. I also like watching it grow and get satisfaction out of fragging and the growth rates that can be achieved. I like the fact that you can use more flow in a SPS tank than what you can get by with in a softy tank, it just makes more sense for a reef tank. I also like that SPS can be easily pruned and controlled where soft corals just spread on surrounding rocks. I do like the fact that they are challenging to keep and that they can have incredible colors but those aren't my main reasons for keeping them.
Old 07/02/2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

i'm semi new to the sps world ... but to me it's more the look than anything else, before i used to think ..... ohhh why do people like those sticks ... but after i saw an sps tank i just fell in love with them ... it was like love at first sight
Old 07/02/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

dominant growth, so much variation in colors etc..... and some weird erotic feeling i get when an Acro starts to touch the surface of the water in a tank! (now you think i am crazy)...the challenge is fun too but this is a stupid poll with all due respect...who cares what anyones reasons are for doing it, so long as they do it!
Old 07/02/2007, 10:49 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Serioussnaps
dominant growth, so much variation in colors etc..... and some weird erotic feeling i get when an Acro starts to touch the surface of the water in a tank! (now you think i am crazy)...the challenge is fun too but this is a stupid poll with all due respect...who cares what anyones reasons are for doing it, so long as they do it!
I did this poll, due to the fact that I hate it when people make gross generalizations...I find it hard to believe that most people spend the money and time and effort to keep SPS for the challenge, not because they enjoy the aesthetics.

I wanted to prove a point... With all due respect, if it is so stupid, why did you waste the time to post? You do not have to like it, that totally cool, I just know with stupid things I tend not to spend my time being involved with it...but I am glad you responded, that was my whole point to creating the post.
Old 07/02/2007, 11:36 AM
Purveyor of Misguidance

Unfortunately, I don't fit into any one of those categories. I like them for many reasons. I enjoy the fast growth; I do enjoy the challenge somewhat; I think they are amongst the most beautiful corals; tanks that are sps predominant look more natural (and as luke said, more representative of major coral reef ecosystems). I am sure there are more, but it is for a combination of reasons.
Old 07/02/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Personally, I'm not crazy about the "stick" appearance, hence the reason I also keep LPS corals, but I LOVE the colors. Too many softy tanks are full of brown and tan corals.

As for the challenge, I think that's a love/hate relationship. But there is a great deal of satisfaction when you're successful, more so than with other corals IMO, and even when the success is only slight.
Old 07/02/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

I keep for the challenge and colors

Regards
Old 07/02/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

I also vote for both options. I like SPS colors and shapes. But LPS also has amazing colours, formats, textures... Challenge really push me a bit for SPS.

I have a 38" tall tank, so I can enjoy SPS at top and LPS on bottom in perfect harmony.
Old 07/02/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Everything about this hobby is challenging. This is relatively new technology. You would never have seen tanks like we have today in my father's day.

I was excited when I started this hobby keeping green star polyps and xenia. Soft corals grow fast compared to SPS. If you're successful you start looking for new challenges, it's only natural IMO.

At first many hobbyists start with some "easy" SPS like digitata or a monti cap. From there you start looking for something more interesting looking and challenging. For myself, I started with some frags from friends, then progressed to some frag packs from Reefermadness, and from there started buying high end SPS for their beauty and the challenge of keeping them. It becomes an obsession. It could be worse. People get obsessed on addictions that hurt them. This only hurts your time and money.
Old 07/02/2007, 06:52 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Both....but more the look of the corals. There is nothing like the color of SPS when kept correctly.
Old 07/02/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Where is the option for both?

See, the challenge is keeping the colors.
Old 07/02/2007, 08:00 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by abark
Where is the option for both?

See, the challenge is keeping the colors.
There is no option, I was taking the point that people's number #1 reason on their list for keeping SPS was they liked it more then anything else...and the other persons point was that people keep SPS (and I am quoting) for all other reasons besides asthetics, because he thinks that SPS are not that nice. He also thinks the biggest reason for keeping SPS is the challenge, thus why these are the only two options...
Old 07/02/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

ADDICTION!
Old 07/02/2007, 08:39 PM
SPS Kibitzer

the shear beauty of them!
Old 07/02/2007, 08:41 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally posted by reefersnob
ADDICTION!
yeah ever since I gave up opiates and crack this has become my fix...LOL
Old 07/02/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

honestly, i dont feel keeping sps corals is that difficult. does anyone else feel its THAT difficult?

i voted for looks.
Old 07/03/2007, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teen
honestly, i dont feel keeping sps corals is that difficult. does anyone else feel its THAT difficult?

i voted for looks.
Keep SPS is pretty easy. Keep really awsome colors not so much...
Old 07/03/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

i voted for looks.

Not wildly colorized acro's sure some digi's and monti's are fairly easy...but could you leave for a week long vacation without anyone caring for an sps tank? But can you leave without help on an LPS or softie tank, yes.

I love the colors and challenge of my acros.

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 07/03/2007, 09:58 AM
g l a s s b o x

looks and challenge. its always great to try and manipulate the colors of the coral. brown-out to knock-out is always a great feeling.

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 07/03/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

It's kinda difficult to explain but IMHO although some LPSs can be more beautifull than any SPS, the SPS tanks can be more harmonic. The most beautifull tank i've ever seen is a SPS tank.
Old 07/03/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

i voted for looks.
Everyone has that opinion when all is going well. Sooner or later we all experience problems. Sometimes diagnosing problems can be difficult. Other times it's easy to diagnose, but it turns out that one little failure, one little mistake turns a long run of stability and expertise into coral loss. Sometimes it turns into a total disaster.

It's not difficult to comprehend the technical aspects of keeping a few sps alive.

It is difficult to carry it out over time.