Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/17/2005, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

Setting up my 33g again

Well after being out of the hobby for the past 10 months it is time to set my baby back up.

what I have are:
33g tank
2 over flows and returns w/ hagen pumps
2 5g tanks
aqua clear 300
cpr backpak 2
custom canopy with room for 6 no lights

Question is to have a sump or not?

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...cat=500&page=1
Old 09/17/2005, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

I'm tagging along with this thread. It's nice to see people get back into the hobby.
Old 09/17/2005, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

My getting back into the hobby was a must do thing for me. I lost my husband last Nov, and had to sell the house in Quebec and move back to Florida. But I knew when I sold the contents of my tank I would be seting it back up again.

Now it's just the question of using a sump or just jusing my aqua clear with it full of reef rubble, and my backpak.

The stand only has room for a 5g hex tank to act as a sump....it worked well for over 3 years in Montreal, but my 20g worked well using only the aqua clear and bakpak2. I really don't think I will have the need for a heater, as it's doesn't get down to -40c here in fla. keeping the tank cool is more of an issue here
Old 09/17/2005, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear of your loss...

You've been in this before so this time around, you may want to consider the sump idea... It will give you more water volume ( hence ) bio-loading capacity and that also helps keep things more stable...... IMO

Bob