Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2004, 12:46 PM
Moved out

Good LFS in Manhattan/Queens area for REEF stuff?

Hello all,

Well I am sortof new to the Manhattan/Queens area and am looking for a good place to go for Reef stuff.

Anybody know of anyplace that worth checkin out?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07/28/2004, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

near the intersection of francis lewis blvd. and northern blvd. in flushing, queens is a store called fishtown usa, i swear by it, i take 1 hour drives there and back from new jerset, they have a large (in my opinion) saltwater section with the best prices i have ever seen. hope it helps
Old 07/28/2004, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

If you keep going down Northern Blvd. there is a store just past Main St. that was selling Fiji live rock for $4.00 or $5.00 a lb. There's another one if you make a left onto Main St. and take that for about 1 mile.
At Glen Cove road and Old Country road there is a Petco that has a pretty decent saltwater section. Right next door to them on Glen Cove Road a new store just opened called Aquarium Adventure. They are expensive but they are huge. Aquarium Adventure also has what I would guess is about a 500 gallon shark tank.
Old 07/28/2004, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I have been going to FishTown USA for 20 years!
They are top notch.
Old 07/28/2004, 02:43 PM
30 year and over club

Fishtown's prices are the lowest you will find. ( I helped start their salt water tanks in the sixtees) Their tanks are always plagued with ich though. They sell firefish, some gobies and urchins for $7.00.
Paul
Old 07/28/2004, 03:07 PM
Works for corals

My gram lives right on bell and when I go up their for christmas I walk to Fishtown. The store is pretty good, sales people arent, but livestock is.
Old 07/28/2004, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

i go to fishtown on a regular basis. and to be honest, i HATE that store. it's all nice and cozy once you walk in, so i can see the attraction. but you really have to buy the fish the day they get their shipments or else the fish will probably be plagued with some sort of disease. their service is even worse. very rude workers. sorry to trash on a place you guys like, but i'd honestly rather take a drive up to NY Aquaria in westchester and pay a little more. i bought a fish there yesterday and it died overnight and i took it back and they blamed it on my nitrates. my nirates are about 20ppm and i acclimated the fish over the span of an hour and a half so i doubt that's what killed it. the wouldn't give me any sort of compensation. i only go to them b/c it's so close to my house and i'm addicted to buying fish. (i should know better though.)
Old 07/29/2004, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Ok, heres the deal from someone whos been all around NY and LI -
In Manhattan -
38th street between 2nd & 3rd - very good store, have lots of fish and corals, good staff, but you will be paying manhattan prices. I work around the corner so I go there all the time on lunch.

511 W. 33rd Street, NY, NY 10001 - A damn good place. Visit http://www.fishtankmaintenance.com/ for more info.

Queens - Everywhere I go has been mentioned already.

LI -
Pets Warehouse - www.petswarehouse.com - They're on sunrise hwy (north side) - just past rt 110 a little. Kinda dark in the store, but great staff, good selection, and damn good prices on some things.

Pets of New Hyde Park - On Jehrico tpke (i believe its between new hyde park rd & lakeville rd on the north side of jehrico tpke)
Expensive as hell, but good selection of fish. Not much in the coral dept, but ive purchased many of my fish (fw & sw) there.

Pets of Bethpage - On the south side of hempstead tpke just east of rt 107. They were owned by the same ppl who owned pets of nhp, but now they have a new owner. (I just won a 90 gallon tank from them last week ). Pretty good store, tho when i went their tanks were overheating a bit so i hope they got that new chiller installed.

I think thats about it. If i remember any more ill add them later.
Old 07/29/2004, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

well i would say fishtownUSA ....prices are good, some fish may look a lil bit blah, but the live rock is cheap..lol...and yea also in 38st between 3rd n 2nd "New World Aquarium"....but its...EXPENSIVE...like it was said before "Manhattan prices" but they do have great selections
Old 11/24/2004, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

Hey Mantis806 you are right on the mark with all your comments about Fishtown USA.
The only this that is great about the place is the prices on their livestock if you don't mind throwing your money in the garbage, because thats where 90% of your fish are going to end up.
I have been going there for many years and I refuseto buy anymore fish from there. Especially if your going to put them in your reef, your asking for BIG trouble. Beware of ICK!

If you need soft goods the best place to go is a store called Aquahut. It maybe a little drive but the prices are worth it. It is located in the Home Depot shopping mall lacated at the intersection of Rte 112 and Jericho Tnpk. in Medford Long Island.

The owners name is Don, very nice people there.