Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Red face Power goes out so I toss some Amquel in....

Well here in SF just a few days ago there was that big storm that knocked out my power for a few hrs. Since I don't have a back up power plan, I read a older post here somewhere that mentioned it was good to keep a bottle of amquel on hand. So I tossed some of this stuff in to my tank for the meanwhile and everything looked fine. I went out for a few hrs came back power was back corals didn't look to good though they were all closed up and my anthelias didn't look to great. But I didn't think of it too much, than the next morning the water looked cloudy a bit and the coral still closed up, the anthelias looked like they were melting away. This once happened before when I used amquel but it never came to my attention that it was the cause. Until this happened once more and it seems to be the cause of my problem. What should I do and who has had similar experiences wit this product?
Old 01/07/2008, 11:57 AM
Nothing to put here

I have used it in quarantine and FO tanks, but I don't think I've ever put it in my reef.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

I don't understand why you decided to use Amquel during a power outage. Were you worried about PH or Alk? What was the Amquel supposed to accomplish?
Old 01/07/2008, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

AmQuel+ Instant Water Detoxifier
* Multipurpose water conditioner for both fresh or saltwater aquariums
* Treats tap water to detoxify chlorine and chloramine
* Eliminates the harmful components of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate

AmQuel Plus Instant Water Detoxifier, a multipurpose water conditioner, detoxifies ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, chlorine and chloramine in your water. Great for water changes, crowded aquariums, during a saltwater mix, or to reduce or remove medication dyes. AmQuel+ is harmless to plants, fishes, invertebrates, and other aquatic life. Will not interfere with biological filtration or its bacteria. Use 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water. For freshwater or saltwater. 16 oz treats 960 gallons

If I recall I read it from a thread where sk8r said he keep one on hand for I think issues like the above mentioned or something. I can't search for it... Maybe he will chime in on this.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:19 PM
Team RC Member

I've used amquel in a functioning reef in a case of desperation: had no anthelia or xenia in tank. But I had water circulation. A lot of it, and I had an ammonia problem.

I'd skim hard right now, run carbon, do a water change. Copy the ingredients of this potion to Reef Chemistry and ask them how to remediate.

I'm very sorry if advice of mine got you into trouble.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.

Last edited by Sk8r; 01/07/2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Have you noticed the water looking white? Zoas closing up and mushrooms shrinking?
Old 01/07/2008, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

can you over dose with this stuff?
Old 01/07/2008, 12:39 PM
Team RC Member

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/articl...mquelworks.htm

I would guess that it may actually have pulled something the anthias needs, and lack of circulation may have let compounds hang in the water.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

But odd enough once I got power back, they didn't look to good and the next day they started to melt. And now the water looks a tad white. I would put the compounds up but atm I am away from my tank so it can't be done right now.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:20 PM
Nothing to put here

It could be some other side-effect of the power outage... temp change, stagnant water in pipes, etc.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

I used some during a water change once to try to lower my nitrates a bit. My frogspawn, hammer, and candy cane stayed shriveled up for about 5 days. After about 10 days they had recovered. I tossed my Amquel+ after that.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:37 PM
Evan in colorado

I have found amquel+ to be a very good product. However I would not use it in a power outage because (reading this off the bottle)

" Under marginal aquarium conditions, AmQuel+ can moderately reduce oxygen levels in the water durring the first hours after use. Be sure circulation/aeration is adequate".
Old 01/07/2008, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

I would do a large water change as soon as possible. Have you tested your waters parameters?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:04 AM
Reefer

I wouldn't use it in a reef.

During a power outage, your biggest problem will be lack of oxygen and temperature stability (depending on where you live and the exterior temperature). Amquel won't help with either of these.

Joyce
Old 01/08/2008, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steelerguy
I used some during a water change once to try to lower my nitrates a bit. My frogspawn, hammer, and candy cane stayed shriveled up for about 5 days. After about 10 days they had recovered. I tossed my Amquel+ after that.
I had the same problem, it screwed up my tank once.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

I've used it for years to treat my tap water before I got a ro/di unit. I had no problems keeping the easy corals like hammers and zoas.