Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Recirc Stand-behind/Hang on Skimmer

Well, I'm sure some of you have seen my other thread asking for help on this skimmer. I'd like to thank Luke33 for all his help, I'm sure I've asked about a million questions by now. HappyFace888 for doing a lot of leg work and searching, Koraltek for info on modding etc. JCTewks also helped w/ some information near the end of the project. And I'm probably forgeting some others but thanks to everyone that helped.

My goal was to make a 12x24x5ish skimmer that could sit behind my tank since I don't have a sump. I wanted a recirc skimmer since they're all the rage now. I didn't want to have the recirc pump outside the skimmer just for peace of mind. This does reduce the efficiency of the pump since it now has head pressure to have to suck the air through. Anyway, I'll be brief w/ the write up and leave the rest for any questions that people have. Right now it's testing in a bucket of water to make sure everything's working properly before I throw it on the tank. Here's pics, I hope you enjoy, I know I enjoyed the project (at least most of it):

Final 3d drawing of skimmer:

Some construction pics:

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/29/2007, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Some testing pics:

You can see at 0 head pressure I got the QO2200 to pull 17scfh

Old 12/29/2007, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

Old 12/29/2007, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

The reaction chamber area is 5x6.5". The collection cup has a 4" riser neck in it.

The recirc pump as stated before is a QO2200 meshmodded and all kinds of modded just to get it where it's at today. I had to ream out the outlet to get it to about 1", the inlet is cut to 1".

The feed pump is up for debate. I tested a Resun225, which I had pulling 7scfh originally at 0 head, but w/ pressure, it dropped drastically to like 1. So I swapped it out for the time being w/ a Sedra3500 which is pulling 5scfh. The QO2200 at depth is pulling 10-12scfh, so I'm right at the 17ish area w/ air pull. This thing is huge, hopefull it works! Thanks for reading and I'll answer questions if I can.

Old 12/29/2007, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

I take that back, we'll be sticking w/ the Resun. I put the skimmate from my Octo in the bucket and w/ the Sedra, the reaction chamber was about to overflow w/ skimmate bubbles! So I put the Resun back on it and now it's more reasonable.. here's a few pics of that fiasco:

After seeing this, I think I might have enough air going in there

Old 12/29/2007, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

All this action literally happened w/in 30 seconds of adding the skimmate. I thought I was going to have to wait for a break in period. Apparently it works pretty efficiently!

Old 12/29/2007, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Oh and just a few more pieces of info on the skimmer: It holds right around 5g of water and the collection cup will hold 6 cups of skim before overflowing back into the skimmer (I know Luke would have asked this eventually, so I had to test it).

Old 12/29/2007, 08:35 PM
One Good Friend

lol, 6 cups, thats a good collection cup. Looks nice, only thing that may be a pain is its clear and will grow algae like a weed and it'll be pretty heavy to hang on the back at 5g h20 or 40lbs. You may want to put it on some sort of shelf stand or something. As for the skimmer pulling the skimmate out that quick, yea, it'll do that but after it gets it all the foam level will drop significantly so you'll pry be fine with the sedra.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Oh that's good to hear. The skimmer is actually taller than my tank, so it'll just sit on the part of the stand that is exposed back there. I might have to put a mouse pad or two under it since I think the QO will probably do some vibration. I don't know about the algae problem though. The octo I have is clear and I don't have that problem. Of course the back of my tank is black and there's only about 4" of space in between the top of the tank and the lights.

I think I can get more out of the Resun. I have to chop about 4" off the inlet pipe, so I think I'll use the barbed fitting that comes with the Resun that is a 3/4 barb, and I'll take that to the inlet w/ black vinyl. It should bring the scfh back up some because the 1/2" adapter I'm putting in the pump is restricting the flow more than the barbed fitting does.

Old 12/30/2007, 02:23 AM
Registered Member

Alright finally some pics. I'd still keep that sedra on maybe it needs sometime to break in. Maybe than after it breaks in it would work fine. And even with the 4'' riser tube that is fast skimmate, I was thinking more towards what jct said dry skim but that was impressive. I also don't think its wise to test the skimmer in a bucket of wate with your poured in skimmate. Luke did that to his 75g with his rogue and it caused his to overflow aswell. So if you really want to see it work just throw it on the DT and see how it goes. That way you are sure of what your getting instead of the bucket test. Oh did you do the silicone bead to the cup if you do that you can probaly skip the rubber band, since it will have a snug fit. And the intake and the return tubes seem pretty long is it necessary to have em that long? So when are you going to sell them . Overall amazing
Old 12/30/2007, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

The inlet and outlet tubes aren't glue at all, I just wanted them long enough to get into the bucket. They'll be cut horizontally so that there's only about 1/2" of pvc showing before the elbow and then it only needs about 3-4" vertically and it's got about 6. I haven't siliconed the cup yet. I have to go to Ace, probably today, and see if they have any o-rings and pick up some silicone 1. I don't know if I'll use the sedra or not, it wont' fit in the preskim box I have and I don't feel like making another one right now, so I either have it dangle in the tank and have it seen, or use the Resun.

Old 12/30/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Very Nice! Looks like a lot of thought and hard work.
While you are at the Hardware store, pick up some Acetone or some Krylon Fusion. The Acetone will take the lettering off the PVC, or just paint it.
I'm not a big fan of printed pipe.

This thing should work like a charm.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:35 PM
Premium Member

I've got some denatured alcohol which seems to do the same thing w/ regards to removing the lettering. I'll probably end up painting the parts that actually go in the tank though. Thanks for the kind words though! I can't wait to get it on the tank. If I can get the O-ring or a rubber band that will work and the rest of the plumbing parts today, I shoul be able to hook it up to the DT.

Old 12/30/2007, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Well, I'm warming up the water in the skimmer (since I need to make sure I have enough to fill the tank, this thing holds a ton!), as soon as it reaches 75-78, I'll be putting it on the tank. I poured some water from the Octo100F into the bucket that I'm using for testing, and the skimmer started getting a foam head... makes you wonder how much gunk is flowing around my tank right now that didn't get skimmed.

I have a pic of the Octo100F next to this thing.. it's about 1/2 the size. It's going to be fun seeing this thing in action.

By the way, i think I'm going to name this the XL Xtreme Recirc HOB...XLXR.. kinda catchy

Old 12/30/2007, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Here's the Octo 100F next to the new skimmer, and a shot of some foam head from last night:

Old 12/30/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

How do you keep the collection cup in place ? Is it just made exactly to match the dimensions of the bubble chamber or is it a little smaller to make it adustable up and down. If it is adustable -what holds it in place and prevents the bubbles from slipping up the sides of the collection cup.
TIA
Lester
Old 12/30/2007, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Until I get a rubber o-ring like the bakpaks/octos/remora, I put some mini-airline tubing w/ a connector to connect the two ends to basically make an o-ring. Then I took some teflon tape and wrapped the bottom edge of the cup. The teflon is snug enough to help hold the cup where it needs to be and keep bubbles from escaping up the sides, and the diy o-ring holds the rest. I'm going to order an o-ring that is tighter to the cup since I feel that if there's much skimmate in the cup that these two things won't be able to hold it up. I might also use a set screw to help hold the cup but I haven't decided yet.

Old 12/30/2007, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Well, the skimmer's on the tank. Its a lot louder than the octo, which was dang near silent, but I may have the QO on a timer if I can't sleep at night. Let's just cross our fingers that it holds and works well. If not, at least I have different pumps in mind

Old 12/30/2007, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Well, the skimmer's on the tank. Its a lot louder than the octo, which was dang near silent, but I may have the QO on a timer if I can't sleep at night. Let's just cross our fingers that it holds and works well. If not, at least I have different pumps in mind

Old 12/30/2007, 08:31 PM
One Good Friend

That thing is huge man! Looks nicely built. Lets see a pic of the reaction chamber with it on the tank. That would be cool
Old 12/30/2007, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

ask and you shall receive! Here's a few more pics. I was smart enough while building this thing to make sure and put the reaction chamber towards the side that I can see so I know what's going on in there . The last pic is at the top near the collection cup. there's some bubbles still escaping, but not enough to get overly worried about.

Old 12/30/2007, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

I'm really surprised at the lack of micros with this thing. if you sit and look where the baffle is, you can see a bunch getting sucked around to the other side, and you can see them coming up the chamber, but they must get consolidated pretty well in the return or something because there's decent sized bubbles coming out, but not really any micros blasting in the tank.

Old 12/30/2007, 09:13 PM
One Good Friend

Looks very nice man, its going to by a your skimmer only skimmer that fits perfectly for your setup though. Good stuff. For that size a tank its almost like having a freakin sump, an extra 5gallons! lol. So how much for total cost and what are you going to do with the octo now?
Old 12/30/2007, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

4" tube + shipping = $16
5 shts .170" acrylic = $45
1 ea weldon 3&40 = $52 (crazy shipping on this stuff $20 this $ includes applicators)
pvc pipe, who knows = $20
Uniseals 1/2 & 1" = ~$4
QO2200 = $45
Resun = $29 (I could have used the free one but just for cost measure)
Total = ~$191/200.

Rough estimates... but I still have about 6" of 4" tube left, and I won't have to order weld-on again.. If there's a next time it'll be the cost of pumps and sheet goods. I also still have a 12" piece of 3" tubing which I didn't calc into the cost of it @ $6.. and 3 ea more of uni-seals 1/2 and 1" at under $2 each.

It ended up costing a ton more than originally though, but this things' a monster, and I'm sure I could slightly overstock my tank now and wouldn't have a problem w/ the extra fish and feedings! And it's like you said, I basically have a mini-sump, and added 10% more water to my system.. or 5% if you think that the Octo had about 2.5g in it, which I doubt. And like you said, it's perfect for me and probably only me! But that's the fun of DIY, you do what you need to do for your setup.

Old 12/30/2007, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

And remember, Luke, this thing probably wouldn't have been if you weren't there to help, if I could, I'd shake your hand. Thanks for all the help.