Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 03:19 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...9#post11280009
Old 11/29/2007, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

the cap on my T keeps the ungodly gurgling to a nil. As for the rubberband I could see it working better if it didn't slip up the cup about 3/4". It almost would have to be right on the edge and not move. So I can see where the silicone would be more efficient at doing this

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 11/29/2007, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

sweet

Old 11/29/2007, 03:24 PM
One Good Friend

That was quick!
Old 11/29/2007, 03:36 PM
One Good Friend

RMA 7 is what i would get.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/flow/SeriesRMPrice.cfm
Old 11/29/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Alright time to gather all the skimmate pics and how the skimmer is

PIanktons BH100

[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/sneeyatch/IMG_1226.jpg/img]

HappyFace888 Bh100F

StealthBimmer BH300
Old 11/29/2007, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Dzeadow Bh100F

VengefulNemesis BH100

Dohc97 Bh100

Simmlink Bh100F
Old 11/29/2007, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

It'd be nice if we had a compilation of mods that actually worked. After 40 pages, we have what.. 3? My elbow return to eliminate bubbles in the 100F, the cap w/ hole to eliminate gurgling, a wet cup to adjust the height in the return chamber in the 100. Did I miss anything?

Old 11/29/2007, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Well, that one goes from 5-50 scfm... you don't think I'll even get 3, so that wouldnt do any good for this test would it?

Old 11/29/2007, 03:53 PM
One Good Friend

How many cups does the collection cup hold until it starts to go back in the skimmer chamber, anyone do a test like that yet?
Old 11/29/2007, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

BTW Just in case anyone cares about the Octo in sump stuff (luke), the premium extreme will be in next week according to an email that I just got from David.. but you probably already knew that. He's good at dancing around questions. Forgot to answer when the nano's coming!

Old 11/29/2007, 03:55 PM
One Good Friend

It says 5-50 but it will show you from the bottom until 5 so if its three it'll be inbetween. It starts the label at 5. You could get the step below thats 1-20 but if you ever got another skimmer, (a manly one)(JK) that does more than 20 you'd be all set!
Old 11/29/2007, 03:58 PM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by dzeadow
BTW Just in case anyone cares about the Octo in sump stuff (luke), the premium extreme will be in next week according to an email that I just got from David.. but you probably already knew that. He's good at dancing around questions. Forgot to answer when the nano's coming!
David....at coralvue? The extreme octo's are already being sold at aquarium specialty and have been for a week or two but there the coralvue extreme's which are the same as the regular octo's but with a bubble plate......did it even need a bubble plate?(no) The swc extreme octo's will be here on the 21st suposedly at marine solutions and are the first dealer to recieve them. They are the skimmers with a totally new design, the bubble plate, extra wide neck, new output and most importantly the sicce pump's that pull 22-24lpm.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:01 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
That was quick!
well happyface888 has posted 1/3 of the messages in this thread.... lol
Old 11/29/2007, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Well, this is what I got from David @ Coralvue just 5 minutes ago:

The new Premium extreme series will be in next week.

The 100F cup holds 2 cups of liquid before going back into the skimmer. That's liquid measuring cups, I took my cup off since I had just cleaned it and filled it up w/ the measuring cup from the kitchen.

The rubberband mod sucks.. it's too tight in there so it rolls up the cup, I think the only way it'd be effective is if you could get it to stay right near the bottom..possibly a Sunday paper, thick (width wise) rubber band that won't roll.

As for your manly skimmer..lol. I'll look into getting that model.

Old 11/29/2007, 04:08 PM
One Good Friend

Yea, there's a huge difference in the coralvue extreme brand and the SWC extreme brand. Thanks for the collection cup info. The rogue will most likely hole 4-6cups before draining back. Just wanted to compare. I'll check tonight for sure though
Old 11/29/2007, 04:11 PM
Premium Member

I thought all octos were the same? why would the two be different?

Old 11/29/2007, 04:15 PM
Charleston Reefer

They are using different pumps, so that is the major thing.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:36 PM
One Good Friend

No, no no, look at the extreme ocot's at www.marinesolutionsinc.com and then look at them at aquarium specialty. Its night and day. Stock otp 3000's pull 13scfh at 65watts, stock sicce 2500's pull 45-50scfh stock at 30watts and are about 1/4 the size as the 3000's. The skimmers have totally different bubble plate's and the neck sizes on the swc octo's are much larger in diameter. HTH
Old 11/29/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by USC-fan
well happyface888 has posted 1/3 of the messages in this thread.... lol
Just trying to inform fellow reefers about this nice hob. Since when I started I couldnt find any information about this hob. I went with everyone thinking its going to be the same as the cpr bakpak. I have been using the bakpak for many years and it never gave me anything good in the cup. So from that assumption I believed it was going to suck and never bothered with it. Until I found PIanktons pic that turned everything around. For the price of this skimmer its pretty effective, compared to the other high end and expensive ones. It may not be as good as the rogue or the deltec mce600 but its done a pretty impressive job for me. I just hope more people will try this skimmer out if they are on a budget.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, this is what I got from David @ Coralvue just 5 minutes ago:

The new Premium extreme series will be in next week.

The 100F cup holds 2 cups of liquid before going back into the skimmer. That's liquid measuring cups, I took my cup off since I had just cleaned it and filled it up w/ the measuring cup from the kitchen.

The rubberband mod sucks.. it's too tight in there so it rolls up the cup, I think the only way it'd be effective is if you could get it to stay right near the bottom..possibly a Sunday paper, thick (width wise) rubber band that won't roll.

As for your manly skimmer..lol. I'll look into getting that model.
Well I dont have any silcone on me so whose going to be the test subject? I'd like to hear a review on how this mod works, it it signifcantly improves the skimmate production that be sweet. Its been tested on a cprs collection cup and it worked well by improving the amount of skimmate in the cup.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It'd be nice if we had a compilation of mods that actually worked. After 40 pages, we have what.. 3? My elbow return to eliminate bubbles in the 100F, the cap w/ hole to eliminate gurgling, a wet cup to adjust the height in the return chamber in the 100. Did I miss anything?
Yeah you missed one mod, koraltek mesh modded his resun225f on his bh100 and its producing better skimmate than the stock resuns. I have genx 1ks but have not tried them yet and also I have a modded volute cap with a larger opening. It was said in other threads that this mod increases the amount of air also. Thats the only mod thats untested but the mesh is working well on koralteks.

Oh wait theres one more mod I just remembered.
Vengefullnemesis he bored out the hole on the venturi and made it bigger, and stuck a 1/4 air tube on it. It also helped bring in more air.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

I've got a case of silicone, I just don't know if i want to wait 24-48hrs for it to cure before I use it.

Old 11/29/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Well Jason in the previous thread said hes going to try it out. So lets wait and see how the mod goes. Would using teflon tape on the bottom work as a substitute for the rubberband/silicone? I mean you can give it a few wraps around and make it thick than slide it down and water wont seep through it.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:55 PM
One Good Friend

Really the only mod imo thats going to be worth doing to these guys is to pop off the venturi and pull out the impeller, put a layer or two of mesh on it after you remove the top layer of NW and then take your venturi, most pry have the grey one, if so take a drill bit and boar it out. This will pry take you to twice as much air as your pulling and will make a considerable change.