Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 10:55 AM
Want big tank back!!!!!

Angry macro algae killing my tank

Other than taking the rock out and cook it so I can kill this stuff, Im trying to get something that will eat the stuff, I got grape caluerpa in my fuge an migrated to the display, now is everywhere, The tank is a 30 gal tank. I used to have a yellow tang on my 125 that kept it to non-existant, what can I buy fish wise to help me get rid of it. I will get pic later.

Armando

Everyone is my friend but there are 2 people in this world that I despice the most: Murphy and Bill
Old 01/08/2008, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

One of the smaller dwarf angels. Unfortunately he/she may not be able to keep up with the growth, and that's if he/she even decides to eat it.

I put a lemonpee in a 29 gal and he made quick work of all the available macro, then I caught him and traded him back in for a couple of emerald crabs that kept it in check.

I might have gotten lucky, but it worked!

Good Luck --landlord
Old 01/08/2008, 11:15 AM
Want big tank back!!!!!

I bought 6 emerald crabs and they did not even touched the stuff. The guy at my LFS has a mimic tang for 34.00. but I had never delt with that fish before so I dont know.

Everyone is my friend but there are 2 people in this world that I despice the most: Murphy and Bill
Old 01/08/2008, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

Get rid of the caluerpa and use Chaeto, at least that is what everyone says. Apparently, once the caluerpa goes sexual it will spread from the fuge to the main tank (like what happened to you). Chaeto is supposed to work just as well and is easier to control. Unfortunately since it is already in your tank, maybe someone else has ideas..........
Old 01/08/2008, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

I have never seen my emeralds graze on the stalks directly but I can tell you that the crap never came back once the angel mowed the lawn for them.

FWIW --landlord
Old 01/08/2008, 03:38 PM
Want big tank back!!!!!

I cleaned some of of it every week and a half, this thing grows like crazy. anything else that I can toss in there???

Old 01/08/2008, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

I second the dwarf angel - you could try a C. flavicauda or C. argi, they're about the smallest dwarf angels and can hold their own with most fish. They graze constantly - I'd remove every single bit you can see by hand, then let the angel keep the rockwork clear from that point on.

When I kept Centropyge angels in my old 65g I had the cleanest rock I've ever seen - not a leaf of macro or bit of microalgae anywhere. When I sold them and upgraded, it didn't take long before I saw caulerpa, sargassum, halimeda, botryocladia, valonia and loads of turf and hair algaes starting to appear (it didn't help that there was a small cycle when I upgraded). I have a yellow tang and she works hard, but I just introduced a coral beauty to my 90g because I miss how good my tank used to look - IMHO, there's no better custodian than a dwarf angel.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Does anyone know if the grape caulerpa propagates from the grapes? Just curious as I have had a handful or so make it from my fuge to the display, and they have been sucked into the intakes of a couple of my powerheads. Should I get these out before they stick to a rock?

I've since replaced the caulerpa with chaeto in my fuge.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:50 PM
Want big tank back!!!!!

qfrisco, If you have chaeto get rid of the grape, Im telling you is a PITA. This thing has killed my zoos, 2 SPS and the rock is white (no coralline) under it.

Old 01/08/2008, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Try a Blue hippo tang, i put some of that grape calupera one time in my tank and it was gone the next day, food for him. That was before i knew the stuff was bad, but it lasted maybe a day or two max.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:42 PM
Want big tank back!!!!!

I was thinking the same about the hippo but it will be cruel to put it in a 30 gal

Old 01/08/2008, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Try using a toothbrush to scrub the rock under a fast fresh water rinse. I used this to clean hair algae from rock after a tank crash. The hair never returned so I bet the calurpa will be easier to remove. The coraline will be fine and a fast rinse wont hurt too much life in the rock.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Get a phosban reactor? starve the macro algae