Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Ohio Reef Aquarists (CORA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/11/2008, 05:13 PM
Moved On

need help with 400w ballast

Kyle mailed me a a coralvue 400w ballast from ohio. it was used off of someone on here. well it came in the mail fine, i wired it up. plugged it in and it fired the bulb. I left to work and came back a few hours later to find the bulb off. the other side was still on though. So i unplugged it and tried it again *the ballast was cold so im guessing it had been off a while. I cant get this thing to fire the bulb now. I'm guessing it was damaged durin shipping. when i turn it upside down something is rattling in there.

any suggestions?

I have also tried a different socket and a different bulb
Old 01/11/2008, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Take off the cover and see what is wrong would be what I would start with. may be a broken wire terminal or something simple I hope.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:21 PM
Moved On

i hope so too. do you know how to get it open. it seems they have glued it with lock tite or something.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:25 PM
Moved On

ok i got it open. it seems a donut looking thing that is wrapped in wire is completely disconnected from the main circuit board. is this fixable?
Old 01/11/2008, 06:28 PM
Moved On

and not only that it appears that they had yellow rubber of sorts between all these donut things and it melted part of it *i'm guessing b/c it was broken to begin with.

=( argh
Old 01/11/2008, 06:46 PM
Moved On

ok I emailed coralvue to see if they did repairs and if this was even fixable. here are some pictures. we'll see what they say

here is the donut piece that was broke off

here is where it came out of. notice the burnt melted plastic on the other donut

full ballast shot
Old 01/11/2008, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

thats kinda of fun to try to solder back in not really sure how to explain to you how to do it.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:01 PM
Moved On

hopefully coravue will fix it for a decent price and i can make usps pay for it. unless this was a factory defect it definetly got damaged during shipping since it is a new ballast.
Old 01/11/2008, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

Hey,

I just bought 2 of these ballasts brand new and both of them fried on my within an hour. I saw/heard a flash/pop and they were done. I think they had a bad batch of them go out as the place I bought it from said they had another person with the same issue. Coralvue replaced the ballasts for me within a couple of days.

Wait a second, is this new or used? In the first post you say it was used, just above this you say it is new??