Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2005, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FFFrog
They left out the part were dad becomes the new mom and nemo becomes dads new boyfriend.
LOL... thats exactly what I thought when I first watched the movie... I couldnt enjoy it because I kept noticing all the flaws :P

Tim
Old 08/16/2005, 05:50 PM
Moved On

guess you only injoyed a small portion of the movie than.
Old 08/18/2005, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

The movie drew me in as well. I started doing research and now am an avid SW enthusist. My 17yo is an addict. He has attended IMAC, the Dr. Foster's aquculture facility opening, now MACNA. We would be lost without Our tanks.
Old 08/19/2005, 10:29 AM
Always a Buckeye

A driver's license is required to operate an automobile, is everyone a good driver?

IMO Disney does hold a slight responsibility in this. They should have seen this issue coming, and some sort of disclaimer should have been made either immediately before or after the movie.
Old 09/06/2005, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Personally I don't think that people should get into keeping marine fish unless they have a true drive for it and spend countless hours effortlessly reading and searching the web for information on the subject. Not because they have to but because they want to. I only have 6 months exp in the hobby but I spent more then a year reading and researching and loved every minute of it. As far as nemo goes, My son and family loves the movie, but we love our clown fish even more. I was amazed to find that my wife wakes up and greets my two clown fish every morning with a 5 min conversation, and they follow her up and down the tank. I think some people just get on an emotional rollercoaster and dont think far enough ahead to see that they may not want to finish the ride. Or some people are just too cheap to continue and have no loyalty to their salt water friends.
I have such an emotional attachment to my fish that they are the only ones that can easily calm me down or make my blood pressure rise. There is an old saying "if momma ain't happy then the house ain't happy" well in my house it's "if the fish ain't happy then the house ain't happy" Alright I'm done thanks for reading my input.
Old 09/06/2005, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Ok and on another note people need to realize that you can't believe everything you see on TV and reasearch does need to be done. I'm in the military and am amazed constently by how many things are misportrayed by shows on TV. People think that shows like JAG and OVER THERE show how military life is exciting and full of drama. Nothing like that at all but at the end of the day you know you've put in a good hard days work for a good cause, protecting the homeland.
Old 09/08/2005, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

4 words...

" I HATE THAT FILM "

1) too many clownfish are now dead

2) the false assumption that clownfish can be kept in a colorful gravel filled freshwater appearing tank

3) the word "NEMO" is now recognized as the NATIONAL ANOYANCE WORD OF THE DAY!

... on #3... esspecially if you work at a LFS!

Im surprized clownfish arent extinct now!
Old 09/21/2005, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

If Disney started putting disclaimers they would have to go back to the beginning.....I mean 101 dalmations should have had a disclaimer stating that not all dalmations make good kid dogs. Robin Hood.....stealing is WRONG! Cinderella.... not all step parents are evil. I mean it isn't even just disney.....check out Jaws. At some point personal accounability and common sense should prevail.....better yet how about NO HONEY YOU CAN"T HAVE THAT.
Old 09/24/2005, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

lol
Old 09/25/2005, 08:16 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I'ts not just kids...I was in an LFS when a customer came in to buy more fish. Seem the ones he had didn't get along...some died. He was buying "pretty" fish, kept asking what that one is called. He spent over $200, I did hear the employee trying to talk him out of certain fish & steer him in the right direction. The guy didn't want to listen. He wanted colorful fish, and if they die, he'd just come back & get more
Old 10/19/2005, 01:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hockeyben51
I think people should have some sort of license to buy fish, kind of like a drivers license, to preserve these creatures at some exstent and i think people should have license to sell fish to people, I hate going into lfs's and there is some idiot who doesn't even own a tank or know more than your average reef beginner selling fish to the idiot people who don't take time to research.
i think thats a n excellent idea.
Old 10/19/2005, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

I hate and love the Finding Nemo movie. ... so many poor fish that have suffered, but lets not forget, some may have found really good homes.
Old 10/19/2005, 11:18 AM
Registered Member

I hate and love the Finding Nemo movie. ... so many poor fish that have suffered, but lets not forget, some may have found really good homes.
Old 10/20/2005, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

In California, before you are allowed to have a hawk, the Department of Fish and Game has to come to your house and inspect the facilities where you intend to keep it before they issue a permit. Imagine if that could be accomplished with fish.
Old 10/20/2005, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Easy answer. DONT HAVE KIDS, spend that would be college $$ on an inwall tank and a 30 foot fishing boat
Old 10/20/2005, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

and a hawk
Old 10/22/2005, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

I agree that the parents are to blame.... However, Disney could do a little something that may make a huge difference and they ought to know because this happens every time that make this type of movie. Everyone remember how many Dalmations went to dog shelters a few months after the debut of 101 Dalmations. Every child wanted one and parents went and bought them. 6 months later they realized how much work goes into keeping a high energy animal like a Dalmation and got rid of them. Back to Disney and the like. What would it hurt them to put a 5 minute non animated info segment AT THE START OF THE MOVIE so people will actually see it where they warn parents and children that what they are about to see is a movie and that proper care of these animals in a captive environment requires several pieces of specialized equipment, a background knowledge in saltwater aquarium keeping, and a minimum sized tank of say 30gallons etc, etc, etc. This way it would be clear before the kids even fill their heads with wanting one that this is no a goldfish bowl type of commitment. While I don't blame Disney for parents not taking the time to learn I also believe Disney and the like make a ton of money from these movies and should bear a little responsibilty to educate at the same time as entertain.
Old 10/22/2005, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

Who is Nemo?
Old 10/23/2005, 05:43 AM
Medieval French Monkey

I personally love the movie, and I had my tank long before it ever came out. I think one of the main themes of the movie is respect for the reefs--it's bad to put a fish in a small glass box. One reason the dentist's tank is so unnatural is to show the contrast between an aquarium and the natural reef. IMO, the overall moral of Nemo is that fishkeeping is wrong.

It's unfortunate that many clownfish are doomed to deaths, but with an increase of interest in the saltwater hobby and an increase in new hobbyists, there is going to be an increase in fish deaths. Honestly, how many of us can say that we never killed a fish while we were learning, despite all our efforts and research?

Of course, I hate to see fish die because of ignorance on the part of the hobbyist, but at least clownfish are tank-raised and we're hopefully not vacuuming all the clownfish out of the wild. My LFS only carries tank-raised percs and false-percs.

The movie is a double-edged sword: there are people who jump into the hobby with no idea what they are doing, but we also have the opportunity to educate hobbyists.
Old 10/23/2005, 10:02 AM
forever newbie

I need to learn to keep my mouth shut at the lfs. The 2 girls that work there don't know much at all and when a new hobbyist wants to buy a mandarin I immediately have to interfere
Old 10/23/2005, 10:52 AM
Medieval French Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
I need to learn to keep my mouth shut at the lfs. The 2 girls that work there don't know much at all and when a new hobbyist wants to buy a mandarin I immediately have to interfere
Keep that mouth going, Peggy! You're doing everyone a service by informing the customer. Maybe the girls will start to learn from you.
Old 10/23/2005, 11:24 AM
forever newbie

They call me the reef geek. I told them I take that as a compliment.
Did you see the pics I took of the way my mh hang, Les?
Old 10/24/2005, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

so you mean i not suppose keep a morish idol and porc. puffer together in a 20G? naw i'm just kidding!

but honestly it was the film that got me into the sw hobby and i only started a year ago the time inbetween was spent reading and i'm glad i did. ended up tearing down the fw setups selling the smaller tanks and buying bigger ones (bigger is always better!)

i went to the lfs about a week ago and there was this lady that kept calling a powder blue tang "dori"

also on another occasion a father and about a 3-4 year old were looking at oc. clowns and the boy wanted one but the father said 'no we cant properly take care of it' so not all parents give into their kids
Old 10/24/2005, 12:17 PM
Medieval French Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
They call me the reef geek. I told them I take that as a compliment.
Did you see the pics I took of the way my mh hang, Les?
Yeah, I did Peggy, thanks!

I watched Nemo again last night.
Old 10/24/2005, 12:23 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by fishinchick
Thats right. It's not Disney's fault, it's not Pixars fault.

Blame the parents.

I totally agree! It's just disgusting how so many parents don't bother to teach their kids anything. Some of them even think their ignorance is "cute." Ugh... it's beyond my understanding.

And it's not like Pixar advertised it as an educational video. I thought it was a great movie.

What I fear most is the possiblity that there are actually enough stupid parents out there who themselves don't know where all the drains go.