Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 07/25/2005, 02:38 PM
Yep, that's our sailfin!

Like others, finding nemo kick started the hobby for myself as well. However, my girlfriends little nephew is the one obsessed with nemo. The girlfriend and I really enjoy this hobby together and we are quite thankful to have someone to appreciate all of our hard work. He loves looking at the tanks we have now and he loves looking at pictures here on RC. He won't be taking a nemo home like in the movie though, our nemo's will be under safe keeping for sure.

I never thought of how bad the movie affected the poor clownfish.

90g SPS Reef
our myReef is currently offline

Old 07/25/2005, 11:08 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally posted by shane 1111
nothing is safe from kids.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Compared to some of you, you could consider me a "kid".. I'm 15, so not too young I feel that I've given my fish (and coral) the absolute best that they can get. That was a pretty generalized statement. Not all kids are idiots (although most are :P )

That aside, I see so many people at the LFS with no clue in their mind. Thank goodness that my LFS doesn't try to just get you buy things, they are honestly good guys (unless they've been drinking, then they start to get a little bit crazy ).

I can't imagine how many clownfish have been put through the worst of conditions.
Old 07/26/2005, 03:54 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think he just meant under 10 year-olds. You could consider me a "kid" also, though I think I have done enough research to own a clown .
Old 08/01/2005, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

LFS as "good guys"

I certainly hope that most LFS are good guys not pushing folks to buy stuff, but I have seen my share of scarey purchases. Most folks clearly don't understand what they are getting into...
Old 08/01/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

I'm 20 and I do alright. As a matter of fact I do better with this hobby than my parents. I think some blame should be put on adults. Not only parents. Now I'm going to anger 90% of you because what I'm about to say is very true and you'll demonstrate that when you get in an uproar about it. Adults get stubborn and pig headed quickly. Not all of them but at my lfs I've heard one to many grown people saying yeah but......... What ever. Yeah but my dentist has 20 tangs in a 90 gallon I can too. Yeah but coral is a plant so all I need are the plant lights and some plant food. Well the last one is a bit of a bluff but you know what I mean. Kids are taught 90% of what they know young. The reason is because as they get older all to often they refuse to except new information as true. Well when I was in school we were told the world was flat (exaturation) so thats that. Well surpise the world has moved on. We found out we were young and took it at that. Ok now I'll get off my soap box and listen to what others have to say.
Old 08/01/2005, 03:04 PM

Yup. And public displays in restaurants, dentist's office, etc. Don't really follow stocking rules, people see this and think "I can have that..." and than the LFS tells them different, and they get a little confused and very upset.
Old 08/01/2005, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

We have an acquaintance who's son is demanding a nemo (ie. Ocellaris) tank. I introduced him to our local reef club, invited him along to a meeting, and offered to give him some 'starter sand' when he's ready to get going and set up his 29.

I view each 'Nemo' opportunity as a chance to educate. Sure, there's stupid people out there, but the movie has provided those of us in the hobby an excellent opportunity to teach.

FWIW, I had a FO tank waaay back in 1994 and didn't get back into the hobby until the Nemo craze hit.
Old 08/04/2005, 05:30 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I went into a petco the other day to pick up some snails, and this one guy and what appeared to be his 3 or 4 year old kid were buying fish, he bought a yellow tang 2 clowns and then started asking questions about a gigantea anemone and the guy basically told him he would need some good lighting and a skimmer and explained how to feed it. He responded that it sounded like to much work. In my mind I was thinking know way has this guy done any research on saltwater otherwise he would have known that, so I asked him what he was going to put these fish in and he replied back in a snotty way a 55 gal. It's crazy, then I just walked away but it appeared he was buying even more fish. I was like no way thats crazy, who buys fish like this all at once. I was trying to see if he was buying the salt too at the same time or if he even knew to put salt in the tank.
Old 08/04/2005, 09:53 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by Loralie
I was sickened one afternoon while standing in a local fish shop and a 17 year old came in with her Dad, pleading with him to buy her the little Nemo. I was there just browsing and he asked if I had a Nemo, to which I responded yes. He said I can just put it in a goldfish bowl with some morton salt can't I ? He must have noticed the look of horror on my face as I responded. I explainded to him the equipment needed to help this animal survive. He the looked me in the eye and stated it dosen't have to live long, we can allways buy more! They should allow us to put to sleep anyone that stupid and heartless. I mean at least the gene pool would begin to clean up a bit.
You (and all other employees/employers) have the right to refuse service. And in a business like this, I only hope you do. I applaud ALL workers that refuse service for the correct reason.
Old 08/06/2005, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
You (and all other employees/employers) have the right to refuse service. And in a business like this, I only hope you do. I applaud ALL workers that refuse service for the correct reason.
Not practical. Have you ever worked in retail? Picture the look on ANY manager/boss/owner's face when they see you refusing service to a customer! It's safe to say you won't be there much longer, especially so since you won't be servicing anyone who wants to put a nemo in a bath tub. (and thats a lot of people)

You couldn't even consider that an option - I'm shocked someone actually wrote that.
Old 08/06/2005, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

I think people should have some sort of license to buy fish, kind of like a drivers license, to preserve these creatures at some exstent and i think people should have license to sell fish to people, I hate going into lfs's and there is some idiot who doesn't even own a tank or know more than your average reef beginner selling fish to the idiot people who don't take time to research.

"What do you mean there is no such thing as the Money Tree?"
Old 08/06/2005, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hockeyben51
I think people should have some sort of license to buy fish, kind of like a drivers license, to preserve these creatures at some exstent and i think people should have license to sell fish to people, I hate going into lfs's and there is some idiot who doesn't even own a tank or know more than your average reef beginner selling fish to the idiot people who don't take time to research.
A license is a good idea, but not practical for the LFS. How do you think people will react when they find out they have to get a license to keep Nemo? There would be a huge decrease of SW hobbyists.
Old 08/07/2005, 08:04 AM
forever newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Gobydude777
A license is a good idea, but not practical for the LFS. How do you think people will react when they find out they have to get a license to keep Nemo? There would be a huge decrease of SW hobbyists.
Sometimes that would be a good thing.
Old 08/07/2005, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by skippy2
Sometimes that would be a good thing.

I know, but there would be a shortage of noobs. There would be no more Noob forum, thats where most of my posts are. J/K, it would actually hurt the hobby some how, one of those collector/shipper "In Demand" things I don't understand.
Old 08/09/2005, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have thought this many time about all the animals we can easily obtain. If there were safeguards for people that are willing to learn the right way, would not this be a better hobby in the long run. You are not supposed to hunt without a license, can not even scuba to look at corals without one. Yet daily, we can hop on the net or go to a LFS and grab some of the most amazing animals on the plant.

JMHO
Old 08/12/2005, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andynyc
Not practical. Have you ever worked in retail? Picture the look on ANY manager/boss/owner's face when they see you refusing service to a customer! It's safe to say you won't be there much longer, especially so since you won't be servicing anyone who wants to put a nemo in a bath tub. (and thats a lot of people)

You couldn't even consider that an option - I'm shocked someone actually wrote that.
My LFS can and does refuse to sell inappropriate animals to customers, he asks about setups, and filtration, and lighting. He also will tell you, "Oh, this fish just came in today,..let me hold it for a few days and make sure it is healthy, and you can pick it up in a few days".

He has also made statements such as "The coral tank has flatworms this week and is being treated. We won't sell anything from that tank until the flatworms are gone"

He is highly respected around these parts! And has a great tristate area draw of customers.
Old 08/13/2005, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

this movie has ruined reefkeeping
Old 08/13/2005, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

us reef keepers need noobs, so we have inferiors to look down upon. Also, they keep the lfs in buisness and freshly stocked with new corals!
Old 08/13/2005, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shane 1111
OMG that is sick.

Nemo is just a move.
I love that move and it is one reason I got interested in the hobby. but unlike most beginners I went out and got books. now i have like 10 or 15 books and nice reef tanks.
Me too. Had it for a year now! My kids like it but can also appreciate the time & patience it takes to have a saltwater tank.
Old 08/15/2005, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

The TV is not a learning tool it is for entertainment......
Old 08/15/2005, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

They left out the part were dad becomes the new mom and nemo becomes dads new boyfriend.
Old 08/15/2005, 11:17 AM
Moved On

Thumbs down

nemo sucks. kids probably buy them and put them in there little fresh water fish bowl at home. i cant believe the tank in the dentists office. over stocked and not compatible.
Old 08/16/2005, 03:58 AM

People are split on this. Thing is, a LARGE PORTION of the "Nemo-Noobies" want to duplicate the dentist's tank. Complete with Moorish Idol, Puffer, plastic plants, and don't forgot Mt. Wannahockaloogie.
Old 08/16/2005, 04:31 AM
Registered Member

I just took my grandchildren one of those saltwater aquarium lamps now they have a saltwater tank complete with nemo and dory. It never needs water changes or additions no food no supplements just turn on the light and the fish start swimming. I would never have imagined how much they would enjoy it. Their lfs is the local wal-mart nothing else available within an hours drive so they only have a freshwater 55 gallon.

But they stay glued to the front of my tank when they get to visit so when I found the lamp I took it to them.

My 5 year old grandson who has cp and can't walk will stand in front of the lamp and watch nemo for hours.

Point is that kids are satisfied as long as nemo moves they really don't care if it is real or animated.
Old 08/16/2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcox33
I just took my grandchildren one of those saltwater aquarium lamps now they have a saltwater tank complete with nemo and dory. It never needs water changes or additions no food no supplements just turn on the light and the fish start swimming. I would never have imagined how much they would enjoy it. Their lfs is the local wal-mart nothing else available within an hours drive so they only have a freshwater 55 gallon.

But they stay glued to the front of my tank when they get to visit so when I found the lamp I took it to them.

My 5 year old grandson who has cp and can't walk will stand in front of the lamp and watch nemo for hours.

Point is that kids are satisfied as long as nemo moves they really don't care if it is real or animated.
Exactly, most kids won't care. The older spoiled ones though, thats where the problem starts.