Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/26/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

I found the article entertaining even if I didn't agree with everything it said.
Actually what I got the most out of was the embedded link in the article for another article about efficient CFL light bulbs for your home. I've already switched out the incandescents in my home with these. I would suggest that anyone who chooses to consume more electricity by keeping a marine aquarium should do what they can to conserve this resource. The easiest way is with CFL bulbs replacing incandescents.
Does that make me a Hippie?
And the irony is, I've never owned a tie-dyed piece of clothing, HA!
Old 07/26/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

I thought the article was serious.........until I saw it emanated from San Francisco!!!!!!

Joe
Old 07/29/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loosecannon
Aviding chemicals, they started calling them hippies for shoting DOPE in thar leggs! HELLO
Article was ok.....

but this was REALLY funny.....unless the poster was serious.

Old 08/02/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

i thought it was funny
Old 08/02/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Hate usually comes from fear. . . and some have good reason to fear hippies (especially if Jesus DOES look like the paintings I have seen - he is the archtypical hippie - no job, hangs out doing good deeds and rapping with his buddies, pi**ing off the Man).

All their money spent on acid . . . @ $2.00 / dose, that is either a lot of trips, or verrrrry little money.

ANd the beatnicks were thus name because they tended to beat anyone named Nick.

It would seem that those who are defaming the hippies took those critical thinking classes in college only to find the most efficent usage of the straw-man fallacy, amongst others.

Drug use is bad . . . ask Rush (I mean non-perscription drugs). Then again, if it comes from a drug maker traded on the Dow or NASDAQ, take as much as you want! And tell me again how a neck tie is less ridiculous than tie-dyed.

Let's face it, the hippies had some good answers, just not enough to keep their movement moving in the right direction.
Old 08/02/2007, 04:56 PM
I hug trees, not Bushes

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Robison
Hate usually comes from fear. . . and some have good reason to fear hippies (especially if Jesus DOES look like the paintings I have seen - he is the archtypical hippie - no job, hangs out doing good deeds and rapping with his buddies, pi**ing off the Man).

All their money spent on acid . . . @ $2.00 / dose, that is either a lot of trips, or verrrrry little money.

ANd the beatnicks were thus name because they tended to beat anyone named Nick.

It would seem that those who are defaming the hippies took those critical thinking classes in college only to find the most efficent usage of the straw-man fallacy, amongst others.

Drug use is bad . . . ask Rush (I mean non-perscription drugs). Then again, if it comes from a drug maker traded on the Dow or NASDAQ, take as much as you want! And tell me again how a neck tie is less ridiculous than tie-dyed.

Let's face it, the hippies had some good answers, just not enough to keep their movement moving in the right direction.
I like you

All statements have been peer reviewed.
Old 08/04/2007, 02:02 AM
HELP SLOW

Peace

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 08/08/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

All I'll say after reading that article is: 'Bout time! I'd much rather read something that makes me smile than something that makes me angry. Thanks for the link.
Old 08/08/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HippieSmell
I like you
I LIKE EVERYBODY!
and no i'm not a hippy but my sister was! does that make me a hippy by association! hehehe! anyway, i think we all need to hug!
oh, and i liked the article!
Old 08/08/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

I havent even read the article yet.... But I really hate the way hippie and drugs meld together with alot of you so quickly.

Maybe thats what started it, couldent say, Im to young. But Im a full blown hippie. had my dreadlocks, lived in a jeep for years traveling all over the country watching the dead, phish, spawns of the grateful dead... Nowdays it isent so easy, but I go to music festivals almost every weekend... only place left for hippies...

But ANYWAYS.... Its the music. Its the love. Its the good vibes.
Ill go read the acticle now...

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 08/31/2007, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

That article was dead on. To keep it simple for all of the people who are having trouble with english, the general (but somewhat incorrect) definition of a parasite is an organism that exploits its host, sometimes until the host dies. If anyone out there actually believes that humans are not destroying the planet (i.e., are parasites), I would argue that you: a) have not been out of your own state; b) get all of your news (if any) from Fox; and/or c) have 3 or more children and drive an SUV (or maybe a truck with a confederate flag in the window).

Humans need to start doing some fancy footwork or we are going to be up a creek without a paddle. Fossil fuels aren't going to save us. It's lucky for you rednecks that we HAVE hippies, someone needs to ensure that there is a planet left for your minions of offspring to try to ruin.
Old 08/31/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

WOW!!!!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!
Old 08/31/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

No really!!!! That was just incredible!!!!
Old 08/31/2007, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

I sure hope I'm not in the 10% of the population that gets to live after the "correction"! Don't want to be responsible for displacing more deserving life forms!

Necessity is the mother of invention no?
Old 08/31/2007, 09:19 PM

That article was a bit of a bore if you ask me. Hippies aren't crusaders, or well, they wouldn't be hippies. And why did hippies do green things? Accidentally. At the time, "green" things were cost effective. Now "green" is a multi-billion dollar industry as much full of lies as the petroleum industry and our own sacred anti-Constitutional government.

Ever try some Celestial Seasonings? That is a major corporation that rose from a commune of hippies. Now they are all Phat Cats. One of the guys in my town that owns a store was a real hippie. Lived in a VW bus for years, traveled the country hand-to-mouth, and now he owns a high-end jewelry store in which he applies the jewelry making skills he honed as a hippie. Who are his clients? Don't get in line unless you ARE a Phat Cat!
Old 08/31/2007, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Follow the money.
Old 08/31/2007, 10:00 PM

It's "Show me the money" and "Follow your heart"...
Old 08/31/2007, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

jnarowe, you are unfortunately right. The (excellent) book The Omnivores Dilemna discussed a few other companies that started grassroots and are now (for example) Kraft owned. On the one hand at least "green" is mainstream and marginally better, on the other hand Kraft is laughing on the way to the bank. That's a toughie. Luckily my town has a great Farmer's Market!
Old 08/31/2007, 11:24 PM

I am always right. God told me so.
Old 09/01/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Dang it! God told me I was always right too. We better not disagree....
Old 09/01/2007, 07:34 PM

I wouldn't sweat it, your God is not the real God anyway.
Old 09/01/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Which one? I have several.
Old 09/01/2007, 07:51 PM

All your Gods are not the REAL God. I talked to my God and he laughed and said your Gods are just made up to placate the people.
Old 09/01/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Even my beer god?
Old 09/01/2007, 10:58 PM
Premium Member

I don't know about that Jonathan! The beer god is very powerful!!! Maybe the Crater Lake or Three Olives god is stronger. . . . .