Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2006, 04:06 AM
Reef Fanatic

Hmmnn... Got a store just down the road, I wonder if they are cool enough to let me borrow something. I will have to check it out tomorrow after work and see what they can do.

Thing is - I hate to buy one just for the occassion. Perhaps I should have a canister filter on hand JUST for these occassions. Or perhaps a trip to walmart to pick up the cheapest power filter they have would work too. I could get some extra filter pads and use them in place of the bio media and carbon, since all I am really looking for is small particulate removal.

Grrr....

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 09/14/2006, 04:09 AM
Reef Fanatic

Oh yeah - I should add that I CAN'T WAIT to see how my rock pillar looks without the dust in the way...

And btw, it was really a lot of fun building the pillar. If it turns out as well as I think it will, I may have to do more of this sort of stuff in the future, or similar concepts that is.

Old 09/14/2006, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

filter media

Paul,

I wouldn't let it just sit and settle by itself. I would want to physically remove those particles. If you don't, and you buy any active sand sifting goby, and you'll have that in the water column constantly. Get somthing like this:

I use this between the baffles in my sump. It works great. Go with the larger 100 micron size, the 50 micron clogs faster. I have been buying this from the link above. But, Steve at WetPets has started carrying it as well. Good man Steve!

Ronnie
Old 09/14/2006, 12:17 PM
Reef Fanatic

Hehe - I don't think that is the link you meant - that is too the MH ballast that I ended up buying...

Old 09/14/2006, 11:11 PM
Reef Fanatic

You guys inspired me and I gave me a GREAT idea. I have a phosban reactor here, which is practically a simplistic canister filter. So I went to petsmart, picked up some cheap filter floss, and got it setup in the tank. I wish I had taken the extra time to go to the LFS around here so that I could find some better stuff. For one thing, I have no idea on the grade of this stuff. I suspect that I could be getting more out with something better.

But it's better then nothing. And is definately helping SIGNIGICANTLY. Actually, it's quite impressive.

And, of course, pics! Here first is a picture of my makeshift canister filter...

I got this setup on the tank and then went to Judo class. About 2.5 hours later, I came back. Here are some before and after pics. First of the filter.

And then of a side view of the rock...

Old 09/14/2006, 11:33 PM
Reef Fanatic

It's a little hard to tell in this picture, but the tank is continuing to clear up REALLY well...

Old 09/15/2006, 11:40 AM
Reef Fanatic

You guys are my heros - the makeshift powerfilter worked WONDERS overnight.

All I have to say today is: All your pillars are belong to us!

I am VERY pleased with how my pillar has turned out. This technique will probably be seriously used in my big tank that I do someday.... Thank you much for sharing your success, pwhitby, so that I could copy your effects here!

Old 09/15/2006, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

that is awsome, way to go
Old 09/15/2006, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Very nice, congrats. Don't know why my link didn't work for you, it still takes me to the page it's s'posed to. That's good thinkin on the improv of the reactor.

Ronnie
Old 09/15/2006, 04:35 PM
Reef Fanatic

Crazy stuff - still takes me to the ballast page. Must be some fluke with the MD site...

Anyhow, now I just have to be patient for 2-3 weeks and wait to put some critters in there...

Old 09/16/2006, 09:04 AM
Premium Member

Something I did to clear my tank up was to put that filter floss stuff in between my baffles in my sump. On the new tank I wrapped the intake of MJ and the return pump with the floss. Both worked well for me.

You are going to have a nice setup there Paul. Keep us informed.

Catch the CRASE - 2008
Old 09/20/2006, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

Love the pillar idea!! I could see building several pilalrs for a reef wall! Yet another good trick learned here on RC!!

Cool shaped tank. My next tank will be in the 90G range and built into the familyroom bookshelves. Due to the space, it will also be pretty ube shaped.

May have to incorporate this pillar technique...

T
Old 09/20/2006, 12:26 AM
Reef Fanatic

Thanks for visiting my tank log! I love the pillar technique as well and plan to use it in many tanks in the future...

Old 09/20/2006, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Hey Paul. Just got done reading through your tank thread and that's awesome. I wish I would have seen that before just redoing my rock on Monday Oh well, that's something that I might look into doing in the future since it's such a great idea to be able to place lower light needing corals at the bottom and more photosynthetic at the top (SPS).

Look forward to seeing it with some critters and coral.

Adam
Old 09/20/2006, 11:37 AM
Reef Fanatic

Thanks for checking it out, Adam!

Old 09/20/2006, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by captbunzo
Crazy stuff - still takes me to the ballast page. Must be some fluke with the MD site...

Anyhow, now I just have to be patient for 2-3 weeks and wait to put some critters in there...
Marine depot is Horrible about going to the last page you were on when you were there.. weeks.. months ago
Old 09/20/2006, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Liquid Hobby - make sure you plan way ahead with the tank built into a bookshelf. A friend of mine did that and tried to go SPS. Heat is a big issue for him. He had to remove some cabinets to make room for a chiller.

Paul, I bet if you cleared cookies, the MD link would work. Anyways, it's just media pad...Coralife PureFlo. Easy enough to find without the link.

Keep the pics a'coming

Ronnie
Old 09/25/2006, 02:42 PM
TOTM October 2007

That looks really good Paul.

The pillars I built are now corallining up and the corals becoming encrusting. I am very happy with how they look.

Its nice to see the same idea on a smaller scale.

Paul.
Old 09/25/2006, 03:38 PM
Reef Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by pwhitby
Pillars...Its nice to see the same idea on a smaller scale.
I also appreciated how well the idea scaled down. But you haven't seen nothing yet. I am helping a friend setup a 29g tank and our church setup a 20g tall. When we get to arranging rock, I am really hoping to try some micro-pillars. Honestly, I have never been as happy with rockwork then what I have done with my pillar and seen with yours. It is suck a great way to utilize the vertical space available and still end up with something that isn't constantly trying to fall down.

Anyhow, when I get around to my micro-pillars, I'll post some pics...

And thanks for the comments and checking out of the thread...

Old 09/25/2006, 05:17 PM
Reef Fanatic

Stuff & Light for 25G Fish Only Attached Tank

Ok - so my tank is getting more complicated. And fun. And complicated.

I am going to add a couple more tanks into the works here. The first is a 25G tank (24x18x16) that will sit beside the tall tank and be a fish only with live rock tank so I can have my valentini puffer without him eating my corals. The second will be a 29G aquarium (you may remember it cracking about 9.5 months ago) that will sit on the ground nearby as a sump (fuge, etc). These 2 tanks will be plumbed together with the display to make a 101G system... Fun stuff!

I've begun work on getting some of these additional components ready. However, that's going to take a couple weeks (or more) as I have to build a stand. I am going for simple and easy on that (KISS), so it shouldn't be too rough to build. Whatever the case, I will post some pics of recent progress soon.

And for part of the point of this post, a question:

As I have not done any fish only setups before, I really don't have much of a clue on what to do for lighting in the 25G FOWLR tank. Obviously, anything much would be overkill. So, do I just go for a basic twin bulb Normal Output flourescent light fixture? I should probably aim for simple and economy for this one, as I can surely use any leftover funds elsewhere.

(Travis - SURELY you have a budget friendly suggestion here... )

Thoughts, ideas, etc?

Old 09/26/2006, 06:05 AM
Registered Member

Hey Paul. Just following along with your progress on your multi tank idea. First off, the pillars I'm sure are looking better and better and I am seriously thinking about making these when I get some more rock in. I think it will fill the space I have on the right side of my tank nicely and I was thinking of maybe making a nice pillar of zoos or something.

KISS you say....three tanks all interconnected doesn't sound like keeping it simple Just kidding...we all know you're capable although I know I'm not at this point.

Sounds like you have some great ideas and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out in the future.

I'm sure that Travis has some suggestions on lighting but I agree with you, a real basic setup looks like it would cover the action in the FOWLR tank.

Adam
Old 09/26/2006, 06:51 AM
Addiction??..Obsession??

2 NO bulbs should be fine, it will really come down to what is aesthetically pleasing to you.

Dave

Catch the CRASE - Conference for Reef Aquarists and Saltwater Enthusiasts
Old 09/26/2006, 03:59 PM
Reef Fanatic

Paint Recommendations

Okie dokie artichokie. I bought a pile of wood last night and picked up the rest of the glass I needed for fixing tanks (29G sump) and building partitions in sumps, etc. Now all I need to do is do some real work, eh?

Anyhow - question of the day (Travis, Travis, you here? )...

I have some things I need to paint and need to decide what sorts of paint to use. Here is the list.....

1. Trim for 25g tank - right now is nasty looking. The trim is made of some funny rubber/fake wood material. I still need to silicone it to the tank. That will happen after I paint it. Anyhow, I want to paint it black. Should I use regular black spray paint for this? Should I get that Krylon stuff, or whatever???

2. Back of my 29G refugium... Whatchathink, can I spray this as well, or do I need something else...

3. PVC tubing. Do to the strange layout of this multi-level tank setup, there will be some PVC tubing visible. I want to paint this to make it look almost part of this display. Again, should this be the Krylon stuff?

Old 09/26/2006, 04:09 PM
My Life for Aiur!

The trim is the only concern. First, make sure that it doesn't have something laminated over it. If it does, peel it off and clean off any glue gunk or goo. After that, if it's still plastic, you can use Krylon Fusion spray paint on all of the above mentioned items. PVC, Trim, back of tank, you name it. In short, for about $3, you can have everything painted the same color.

Also, I didn't get to reply before because I was busy all day yesterday. Concerning lights over a FO or FOWLR, you can just use the basic Normal Outputs that come with a tank. Oh, and that's about as budget friendly as you can get short of buying an auto reflector and a LoA bulb for a total of close to $15.

Man, Paul. You're making me out to be a Redneck Reefer
Old 09/26/2006, 04:22 PM
Reef Fanatic

Yeah, I've been looking into NO light strips. Thing is, for a 2 bulber, I am going to pay some $40. For $10 more, I can buy a simple PC fixture, complete with moonlights. Current sells something along that line.

And I will have rock in the tank with coralline on it, so I might just go with that choice. I hate to throw money at NO flourescent lights that are going to be pretty much useless for anything else in the hobby.