Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2005, 01:59 PM
WRS Member

reccommend a good inexpensive tripod for taking macro shots

I have a canon powershot a70 and I want to start taking macro shots. I found some Tiffen macro lenses.

Now I need to find an inexpensive tripod to use for the job. Can you reccomend one or send a link?
Old 11/22/2005, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

What's your price range? I think that would be easier than "cheaper"

Since you have a small P&S, I think most tripods would work out fine. Just go with the bigger brands like Velbon or Slik. Whatever you buy, get one that has a quick-release build into the tripod's head it allow you to remove/attach your camera efficiently.

Personally I would go for Manfrotto, but they do cost a little more. Go to a shop and try them out, find out which model works for you "in the field".
Old 11/22/2005, 07:00 PM
10 & Over Club

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ghlight=tripod

That's the tripod I have, I am VERY pleased with this tripod for the money I spent, it's really more than you need for your camera, but if you think you ever might upgrade to a bigger heavier camera, it's an awesome deal for a great tripod. You can most likely get by with one of the aluminum tripods they sell at walmart (vivitar, I think), they are pretty cheap, but not too bad for a P&S. Another option is second hand on ebay, a good tripod will outlast you, they might be a bit scratched up....but that just adds character.

Hanlon's Razor:
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
-Anon.
Old 11/22/2005, 08:17 PM
WRS Member

I guess I was thinking a tripod would cost me maybe 30 bucks or so. Thats what I meant by cheap. I would spend say 10 dollars more if it bought me some great features. Otherwise, for the amount I'd probbaly use it, it may not be worth it to me.

Does this Manfrotto have another lower-cost mdel in their line? Is there any other you'd recommend after them?
Old 11/22/2005, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I just took at a look at B&H and it seems Manfrotto's cheapest tripod still goes for ~$80.

I think your best bet is with Kevin's suggestion on his other thread. Those looks like decent tripods for a decent price. Pistol grip is good for P&S and fairly standard closeup shooting.

Tripod is the best investment to get consistancy in your photos, and your camera gear tends to change while one tripod stays with you for decades. If you forsee buying DSLR's in the future, then go with a decent one.
Old 11/23/2005, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Re: reccommend a good inexpensive tripod for taking macro shots

Quote:
Originally posted by johns
I have a canon powershot a70 and I want to start taking macro shots. I found some Tiffen macro lenses.

Now I need to find an inexpensive tripod to use for the job. Can you reccomend one or send a link?
I know this goes against the grain, but for a p&s camera like the a70, you just don't need a heavy duty tripod. Your camera just doesn't weigh as much as a dSLR with a long lens.

You want something that'll get to a comfortable height for you, and that has a quick release base.

I've bought two of them from computer/electronics stores for less than $10 to use with my oly c-5050 zoom. They are plenty to hold my reasonably lightweight camera steady, have a decent height, and decent adjustability, and they have a quick release plate. Since I have two of them and they were both cheap I don't worry about throwing them in with camping gear etc...

Something like this:
http://microcenter.com/single_produc...uct_id=0207851

Just another viewpoint.

B
Old 11/23/2005, 01:53 PM
WRS Member

incysor-

Yes. Thank you. It's not like I will be using it SO MUCH. And I dont know if/when I'll be upgrading my camera. I just wanted to know what good features to look for. I appreciate that.

So other than the height, the only thing I wonder about based on the above comments is how the adjustment works on all of these. Are there big differences? What should I look for?

And what does the quick release base mean?
Old 11/23/2005, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
incysor-

Yes. Thank you. It's not like I will be using it SO MUCH. And I dont know if/when I'll be upgrading my camera. I just wanted to know what good features to look for. I appreciate that.

So other than the height, the only thing I wonder about based on the above comments is how the adjustment works on all of these. Are there big differences? What should I look for?

And what does the quick release base mean?
I'm 5'4". A tripod that extends to 60" means that I only have to bend a little if I want to take family shots, or some other type of shot where it will be straight ahead. If I was 6'4", I'd probably want a tripod that extended a bit more. For most tank shots I never extended the tripod all the way, and was always having to bend anyway, so it wouldn't make much difference.

A quick release base is a plate that screws into the tripod mount hole in the bottom of your camera. The entire plate will then click into the top of the tripod, and hold it secure. It has a release lever that allows you to take the camera and the plate off with the push of a button, which is a lot easier than having to unscrew the camera from the tripod if something else catches your eye while you're taking pics with it on the tripod.

I've only looked at a couple of the expensive tripods, and the range of motion/adjustment seems to be about the same as on this type of cheap one, but the more expensive ones feel heavier, and more durable. The releases to make adjustments seem a bit quicker/easier than the dial/screw type that tends to be on the cheap ones.

B
Old 11/23/2005, 02:33 PM
WRS Member

Does the one in the link you sent have the cheaper dial/screw adjustment method?
Old 11/23/2005, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Does the one in the link you sent have the cheaper dial/screw adjustment method?
I have this exact one.

You have screws to tighten/loosen to adjust the pan/tilt/swivel angel of the camera. There is also a screw adjustment to raise/lower the central shaft. The legs all have quick release pressure levers to adjust them. There's a lever that releases the plate that screws into the bottom of the camera, for quick release.

You might be able to find a similar model at a walmart or target or something. I've seen them here at micro center, and at Fry's, but I don't know if you have those chains in your area, or what you might have that would be similar.

B