Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/08/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

acrylic tanks

Hey all,
I've seen some amazing looking acrylic tanks out there and am starting to research purchasing my own, but I don't know where to start! Where do you guys reccommend I purchase a tank from? I'm not looking for anything fancy, probably just a 90g. if possible, could you include pictures? thanks!

-Kate
Old 02/08/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

i just got a 75 used and believe me, if you are doing acrylic, be very careful about what you buy. I've had to totally redo it. Tenecor makes an excellent acylic tank...expensive, but awesome.
Old 02/08/2006, 04:53 PM
THE NAZGUL

the big thing to look for is thickness of the acrylic, alot of cheaper brands will make thinner tanks to cut cost and a few years down the road the tank will have a nice bow in it. as a general rule this is not somthing to worry about, its more of just a personal prefference of mine. i would rather pay more and have a quality piece of equipment then save a few bucks. i do own 2 sea clear tanks and a custom made acrylic tank, the sea clears show some visible bow, while the custom tank with the proper thickness does not. all in all though acrylic is the way to go, if your willing to pay a little extra there are some awesome tanks to be had, but you will more than likely be fine with any of the major brands.
Old 02/08/2006, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

If your going to have sump, getting a tank with built in overflow is good.
Old 02/08/2006, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

I have a (60x24x30) acrylic tank that I had made custom. The tank looked great 3 years ago but the scratches and coraline algea build up in corners I cant reach with the plastic scraper it doesnt look as great. If I was going with a standard size 90 gallon like you, I would buy a glass tank. It will cost less and is easier to keep looking good. Acrylic is a better choice for really big tanks (weight) and odd shaped tanks.

My next tank will be a glass tank.
Old 02/08/2006, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

stick with glass if you can - acrylic will get scratched sooner or later - even if only by power heads kicking around some sand
dave
Old 02/08/2006, 05:53 PM
Moved out

I got a 90 gallon tank custom made by Premium Aquatics with and external overflow and 3/4 acrylic. No top bracing at all. I really like it. It was pretty expensive like this but I REALLY like the end result.
Old 02/08/2006, 06:12 PM
THE NAZGUL

the curved corners can be tricky to keep clear of algae, but you can get standard corners with acrylic which is just as reachable as glass. also the scraching thing is way over played, you do need to be a little more carefull but its not a big deal. not to mention just about all scratches in acrylic can be completly removed even with the tank running, if you scrach glass (which can and will happen without care) there is no getting it out.
i have owned a few glass tanks (2 out of the 4 leaked at some point in there life) and having to break down a 100g reeftank to re-seal a leak in the silicone is much worse than having to take a little extra care to avoid scratches. i have had my current acrylic tank for more than 4 years and there is not a single scratch in it that i or anyone else has noticed.
you can debate the glass vs acrylic all day without really getting anywhere, they both have there advantages and faults. its up to you to figure out which will is best for you, for me its acrylic all the way.

Good luck
Old 02/08/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

thats for all the input guys, i really appreciate it!

a few people suggested custom built- what companies would i go to for something like that? would a commercial company like Tenecor custom build a tank for you?

another person mentioned the curved corners being a real mantinence issue. this is one of the big things that was drawing me towards acrylic (its such a nice, clean look), but if it really is a huge issue then of course thats something to consider. the main thing that drew me to acrylic is the weight of the tank, i am a colege student and i live in an apartment which i will hopefully be moving out of in the next 2 years or so, and wanted a tank that would be managable to move. of course, who knows if i would even have it set up by then- we all know how these things go!

also, what thickness would you guys reccommend? ive seen all sorts of thicknesses looking at people's tank, but i dont see that a 90 or so would be a huge candidate for bowing. of course, what do i know lol.

i would absolutly be going with the built in overflow/durso/ whatever. i have an overflow box on my 55 now that is nothing but a headache. also, i am petrified about leaks, as staticfishmonger mentioned about his having to reseal silicone- thats one of my biggest fears.

cwegescheide, that is exactly the look i want- so nice and sleek looking with none of that ugly black bracing!! what kind of overflow do you have on that tank?

im sorry this was so long, i just have so many questions and its hard to find all this info spelled out in threads (although trust me, im doing my research!) thanks again guys!

-Kate
Old 02/08/2006, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

thats for all the input guys, i really appreciate it!

a few people suggested custom built- what companies would i go to for something like that? would a commercial company like Tenecor custom build a tank for you?

another person mentioned the curved corners being a real mantinence issue. this is one of the big things that was drawing me towards acrylic (its such a nice, clean look), but if it really is a huge issue then of course thats something to consider. the main thing that drew me to acrylic is the weight of the tank, i am a colege student and i live in an apartment which i will hopefully be moving out of in the next 2 years or so, and wanted a tank that would be managable to move. of course, who knows if i would even have it set up by then- we all know how these things go!

also, what thickness would you guys reccommend? ive seen all sorts of thicknesses looking at people's tank, but i dont see that a 90 or so would be a huge candidate for bowing. of course, what do i know lol.

i would absolutly be going with the built in overflow/durso/ whatever. i have an overflow box on my 55 now that is nothing but a headache. also, i am petrified about leaks, as staticfishmonger mentioned about his having to reseal silicone- thats one of my biggest fears.

cwegescheide, that is exactly the look i want- so nice and sleek looking with none of that ugly black bracing!! what kind of overflow do you have on that tank?

im sorry this was so long, i just have so many questions and its hard to find all this info spelled out in threads (although trust me, im doing my research!) thanks again guys!

-Kate
Old 02/08/2006, 07:00 PM
Moved out

Here is a picture of my external overflow.. I've seen a few people on RC with them and I also swore I'd never have another HOB overflow!!

You can see in the first picture how the back left corner was routed for the overflow. Very slick. I was so impressed with the construction of my 6' frag tank by this manufacturer I took a chance and I'm very happy with the outcome.