Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

So my Green Brittle Star 'cleaned up' my "cleaning crew" - Need Advice

A couple of weeks ago I added a Green Brittle Star to my tank.

I thought at one time that my blue legged crab population looked slimmer than I thought. Couldnt locate like 20 off hand. It just looked like some were missing.

Well today, I found my Green Brittle Star hovering over some hermit crab's carcsses. It looked like the reamins of atleast 2 crabs. Just their legs were left.

Should I be concerned about my fish in my tank? Has anyone had any experiences like this for themselves? I have heard alot of "rumors" about this species but would like to hear someones real experiences. Also, I would like to add so more crabs to my tank now. What type of crabs (if any) would you reccomend now?

Thanks for everyones help. This site is awesome.

Last edited by Fishy Business; 10/10/2007 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10/10/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 10/10/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

the green brittle stars have a reputation for eating anything it can catch. not one of the good stars IMO. if I was U i would either trade it back to the LFS or send it to the sump/fuge
Old 10/10/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

welcome to "The Green Death". On a side note the only thing my brittle ever ate was a dieing clownfish, which most likely died then got eaten.
Old 10/10/2007, 10:07 PM
Premium Member

I was talking to a guy at the LFS a few weeks ago. He said that he actually saw his green brittle climb up and over a chromis of his and then collapsed on the little guy like some kind of trap and caught him right before his very eyes. The eating came next.
I worry sometimes about the black brittle in my tank.

Scott
Old 10/10/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

if I were to get a brittle star what would be a safer choice?
Old 10/10/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

If this i a new tank then there wont be any food for him to scavage for. If hungry enough then anything is a meal. Same with the cleanup crew. If there isnt much to clean then they will eat each other. Start with half then add more as the stock is added. Also be sure there enough live rock for them .
Old 10/10/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

i have a black brittle star and so far have had no problems....i know if you feed the star it shouldnt go after your fish. I feed my star sliverside and it seems to stay away from the fish...actually my sixline wrasse loves to go and "hang out" with the star...i would stay away from the green ones....putting it in the sump sounds good to me. goodluck
Old 10/10/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RickySan
i have a black brittle star and so far have had no problems....i know if you feed the star it shouldnt go after your fish. I feed my star sliverside and it seems to stay away from the fish...actually my sixline wrasse loves to go and "hang out" with the star...i would stay away from the green ones....putting it in the sump sounds good to me. goodluck

I just got rid of mine , i caught him eating my cleaner shrimp's. I was feeding a few times weekly small pieces of shrimp but i guess that wasnt good enough.
Old 10/11/2007, 06:33 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Stories of O. incrassata eating fish are more than just rumors, even when the star is well fed. The behavior is well documented within the hobby and in the scientific literature on the species.

Fortunately, most other species are better behaved, but there isn't any way of knowing which species will be fine and which wont. There is no difference between brittle and serpent stars behaviorally or taxonomically. The division between the two is just a distinction made in the hobby based on how the leg spines are held and means nothing about their feeding habits. Almost all are scavengers, and most will stick to dead food unless times get really lean. Each animal is an individual though and they don't read the books about how they're supposed to behave, so use caution.