Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

DI Cartridge source

All,

I am running an RO system with a carbon pre / post filter and a small (2g) storage tank to produce top-off water. Max production is 20g per day. Can a DI cartridge be added to polish the water instead of the final carbon cartridge? It is a standard size (sold at Lowes / Home Depot). If so, where could I find one?

I do not have a TDS meter, but when I bought the system I had the water checked and it was less than 5 ppm.

Are there any advantages / drawbacks to stripping the water to this extent?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12/21/2007, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

Ideal PPM to have is 0

Coralife has a good DI add on unit i have it and it works great it costs like 60 bucks
Old 12/21/2007, 10:46 PM
Premium Member

also get a tds meter so you always know what water quality you getting and you also know when to change the filters and membrane it costs like 45 bucks i got mine at saltysupply.com they ship rally quickly if you order fedex 2 day you usually get it the next day. you could also get it at marinedepot.com
Old 12/22/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

you can buy a di cartridge and use it in the post filter as you stated if it is the standard as home depo or lowes. buy the refillable type di filter cartridge because you can refill just the media when it get exhausted alot cheaper than to replace the cartridge. 0TDS is what you are shooting for ideally, also remember to flush the membrane out every month or so as per instructions cause this will keep your membrane working longer. also make sure you change your carbon prefilter often (every couple of months depending on use) to protect you membrane.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/sh...ory=40&Sub=106
hope the link works.I use these guys for my DI resin.Buy the non-color changing resin.If you buy a TDS meter(about$20)you can monitor the resin & get maximum life from it rather than rely on a color change.Like the other guys said,purchase an add-on unit from HD or Lowes.Then you can buy a refillable cartridge to place in it.I wouldn't add the DI in line as such,if you do,then even your drinking water will be DI(& it doesn't taste too good).Instead,place a tee in your output line,then you can turn on/off your DI as needed without affecting your drinking RO water.HTH