Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/11/2006, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

External Eel cave

Hey,

I'm setting up a 210 gallon L-shaped agressive tank and I was thinking about putting in an external eel cave, similar to how closed loops are plumbed but just simple 90's and maybe a 'T' for a third cave entrance..

Has anbody seen or done this? I am wondering how close to the bottom of the tank I need the cave to be for the eels to still call it home. Does it really have to be ON the bottom? How about a few inches off, maybe 1'??

I have not kept an eel before and I thought it would be cool to have an eel or two popping their heads out from the black back tank wall..

Also a quick Q on their drive to escape.. Are some eels better than others about trying to escape? It a latched lid mandatory?
Old 05/11/2006, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

Your idea sounds great to me . I would say keep it simple don't go making a maze all over the tank . keep in mind the adult girth of the eel your contemplating . you don't want it to be too small for the eel to use .

All eels have the posability of going carpet surfing . a good lid is an idea . And I noticed that when I added a moon light to my tank my SFE became alot more dosile

Old 05/11/2006, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks mitzel,

I think keeping it simple is a good idea too.. especially for maint.

I saw the reccomendation of 3" diameter. I plan on keeping the more common Eels such as a Zebra or Snowflake.. MAYBE a yellow moray but they are $$. Is 3" overkill or truly appropriate for long term use?

I'll definately add some moon lighting
Old 05/11/2006, 10:13 PM
Moved On

3" may be a bit small for a larger zebra eel. They can get as big as 3" across. I have one about 3" now, which is why I mention it.
Old 05/11/2006, 11:50 PM
Premiun Member

I use 4" PVC, but i would have gone bigger if home depot had it. I have it burried in a 6-8" DSB.

Thats a great idea to have the PVC external, especially if you can make it leak-proof.

I would definately put a lid on...
Old 05/12/2006, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

eggcrate over the top of the tank works very well also. I would go with 4" that way you can cover all your bases and not worry about your eel growing too large.
Old 05/12/2006, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Thank guys,

4"!? That's a big Eel Anyone have a cheap source for good 4" bulkheads?

The openings in the tank are suprisingly small so egg crate will definately do the trick.