Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 07/11/2003, 06:59 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

A couple of pictures to share. A. Ocellaris fry

Hi All

Had a couple of minutes to spare today, so I thought I would take a couple of pictures and share. I had a nice close to the glass shot of a 12 day old A. Ocellaris fry feeding on some Cyclop-eeze. The fish is about 3/8" overall length.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showp...t=1&thecat=500

Old 07/11/2003, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Very nice.
Old 07/11/2003, 07:44 PM
Royal Bengal Reefer

Great Job JHardman!
Old 07/14/2003, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Great job JHardman. Keep us update. How long have you been breading clown fish? Which type of clown is the easy to bread?

Jimmy
Old 07/14/2003, 05:53 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmy007
Great job JHardman. Keep us update. How long have you been breading clown fish? Which type of clown is the easy to bread?

Jimmy
I have kept clowns for many years. I am just getting back into the business this year or so after several years off.

The A. Ocellaris is likely the easiest to get to spawn. They have been known to spawn in less than favorable conditions. I know a guy in CA that actually had a spawn in his QT tank the day he got them.

The latest update is that they are starting to get their tail bar now. They are also getting most of their coloration now too. They are pretty close to carbon copies of their parents.
Old 07/14/2003, 07:06 PM
Island Life n Near Future

That's amazing! What is the rarest clown you have been able to breed?
Old 07/15/2003, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

JHardman,

would you say WC or TR would be easyier to breed? what size female would you want preferably to breed ocellarus? would it be the larger the better, and a male about half the size of the female?

thanks
stuart
Old 07/15/2003, 02:07 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by lemmiwinks
JHardman,

would you say WC or TR would be easyier to breed? what size female would you want preferably to breed ocellarus? would it be the larger the better, and a male about half the size of the female?

thanks
stuart
Well it really isn't so much a question of rather WC or CB are easier to get to spawn, but which will be better for the hobby. Personally I would prefer to start all breeding pairs from WC so that I know that there blood line is a mixed as possible. When you start with CB fish, you don't know if the two fish you are pairing are from the same parents or otherwise closely related. At least with WC stock you are much more likely to have minimal inbreeding with the fish.

For a good breeding female A. Ocellaris I look for a fish that is about 3.5" to 4" nose to start of cardinal fin and very thick. The male of a breeding pair is generally pretty close to the size of the female at about 75% to 90% of her length, but much skinnier than her.

HTH
Old 07/15/2003, 02:42 PM

Very cool bro. You should take pictures daily and do a growth sequence show kind of like the documentation of sps growth.