Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2006, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Question Ipod

Is there any way I can copy music from my Ipod into my itunes library? I just can find a way to do it, I had to do the recovery to my computer and lost everything, so now Im trying to put my music from my ipod back to itunes.

Thanks
Old 10/05/2006, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

I just had to do this, you have to put your ipod in disk mode in itunes. (edit--preferences--ipod tab, its near the bottom) When itunes asks if you would like to update your library dont do it, it will delete all your files/songs. apple or w/e puts the music into hidden files within the ipod. after you put the ipod in disk mode you can look at everything from MyComputer. When in the ipod on MyComputer open the folders and go (tools--folder options--view--then click on show hidden files and folders) A new folder called ipod_control should appear if you have done this correclty. With in that folder there is a sub folder called music. I copied music to the desktop, It took about 12 mins for all the songs to copy. When the folder is on the desktop (right click -- properities-- unclick hidden). Now you should be able to import that folder to itunes. Although the files may look funny they will have all the information saved in them.

HTH
Old 10/05/2006, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by masson
I just had to do this, you have to put your ipod in disk mode in itunes. (edit--preferences--ipod tab, its near the bottom) When itunes asks if you would like to update your library dont do it, it will delete all your files/songs. apple or w/e puts the music into hidden files within the ipod. after you put the ipod in disk mode you can look at everything from MyComputer. When in the ipod on MyComputer open the folders and go (tools--folder options--view--then click on show hidden files and folders) A new folder called ipod_control should appear if you have done this correclty. With in that folder there is a sub folder called music. I copied music to the desktop, It took about 12 mins for all the songs to copy. When the folder is on the desktop (right click -- properities-- unclick hidden). Now you should be able to import that folder to itunes. Although the files may look funny they will have all the information saved in them.

HTH
What version of Itunes do you have?
I clicked edit--prefences, and all there is to choose from is general--podcasts--playback--sharing--store--advanced--and parental control, I just downloaded the new version so it might be diffrent?
Old 10/06/2006, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

just use yamipod
Old 10/06/2006, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

I have itunes 6.
Old 10/06/2006, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

There should be a check button (enable disk use with iPod), and it may pop up a warning that you must eject manually (I can't remember). Otherwise there are lots of free programs you can download that'll do it, like iPod->Folder (or something like that).
Old 10/06/2006, 05:31 PM
Cancer Sucks

Forget iPod. I have an mp3 player that plays any mp3, and the "hard disk" is a regular removable USB jump drive. I got the player on ebay for $1 and I already had the jump drive. When you want more storage space, just get a bigger USB jump drive.

"There either is or there isn't life out there. Both possibilites are frightening."
(someone help me out - who said this?)
Old 10/06/2006, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Is there anywhere where I can download itunes 6?

I tried yamipod and the thing sucks, it looks kinda cheap, and I couldn't do anything with it.

ECEKatko itunes 7 doesn't seem to have that option =/, that's why I want to download itunes 6.
Old 10/06/2006, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Can you gain acess to your ipod in Mycomputer? Mine showed up for 30 seconds and then dissapeared until i eneabled disk mode in itunes.
Old 10/06/2006, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

If you have a bitTorrent client, you can get itunes 6. Of course, it's not totally reliable since it is P2P, but it'll work.
Old 10/06/2006, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

masson, yes I can gain access to my ipod from my computer.

There is an option in itunes 7 that says "Enable disk use" but the only way I can use that option is if I uncheck "manually manage music" and If I uncheck "manually manage music it says "Are you sure you do not want to manually manage music on your ipod? All existing content on the ipod "harvey" will be replaced with content from your itunes library", so If I choose that option im just going to have a blank ipod since I have no music in my library?
Old 10/06/2006, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7899_1-6477981-1.html
Old 10/06/2006, 10:42 PM
Premium Member

I agree with forget the ipod. I would never buy an MP3 player that does not allow you free flow of your music on and off of the player. I am here in Iraq and my buddy brought his Ipod with I tunes, bought some cd's here and ripped them on my computer and installed Itunes to put them on the player. I dont know what caused it but it deleted all the music off the player that was not on my computer. In my opinion the Ipod is an overmarketed, rip off piece of junk.

Chris
Old 10/06/2006, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Finally did it, it's cool you can use it like a hard drive, I even put the music in windows media player, thanks masson!

I don't know shannahan14, I really like the look of the ipod so it's the only thing I would buy for a music player.