Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 08/10/2004, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Powder Blue in 7 gal. QT for 2 weeks, time to put in main tank?

I've received a powder blue tang from a friend who is no longer in the hobby, the tang was just purchased by him about a week before he decided to quit.

Since it came from my friend i did not QT, i placed directly in my 72 gallon (PBT is 2.5 inches). The tang started grazing on the live rock but would not accept prepared food or frozen or nori. After a couple of days started noticing the tang scratching on the rocks and also hanging at the top of the tank right underneath the output flow of my remora pro skimmer. Did some searching here at RC and decided it was "brooklynella". Was abe to catch the PBT at 3:30AM (extremely lucky) placed in 7 gallon QT tank. Did 3 formalyn baths within a week. The PBT is looking skinny since it hasn't eaten anything really.

As of today PBT is still in the QT tank but eating like a pig, chomps on nori, pellets, frozen formula 1 & 2. PBT is still on the skinny side but i can tell its slowly getting the meat back on. I am feeding heavily and need to do a water change every other day because i leave the nori and frozen food in the tank.

PBT is not showing any signs of "brooklynella" or any scratching. Should i wait a couple of more weeks and fatten him up first, or is it okay to release in the 72 gallon. I can tell the PBT likes to swim because he is constanly swimming in the small 7 gallon tank.

What do you think, okay to release or wait a couple of more weeks just in case he has ick?

Thanks for your help,
Steven
Old 08/10/2004, 10:36 AM
Aspiring Polymath

I think keeping it in a 7 gallon is far more risky and stressful. I would move it to the 72.
Old 08/10/2004, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

main tank may still be affected.- plus if it is eating ,fatten it up cuz may be stressed when move again. - just keep an eye on fish.
6in shoal tang/5in red sea blueline trigger
9in red sea naso/3in red sea mac angel
6in moorish idol / 4in blue spot grouper
small fish and cleaners
Old 08/13/2004, 07:40 PM
Fish Collector

Hey Steven told you about the PBT

I would keep it in the 7gal for at least 2 weeks or maybe for a month before moving it back into the other tank. You also want to make sure that there isn't anything in the main tank or any other fish have some thing. Don't want to PBT to get infected again.

By the way I just upgrade to the T-5 lights, got 6 bulbs, just haven't placed it on the tank yet. I'm going to be selling the 2 bulb retro, Ice-Cap Ballasts, soon. That should help with the growth in my tank. I just also got rid on my cyano problem using Chemi-Clean.

Michael
Old 08/14/2004, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

I think a 7G is more stressful, I would put it in the 72 if it is eating some right now start feeding it garlic.

Kaye
Old 08/14/2004, 03:43 PM
Fish Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by Specialk
I think a 7G is more stressful, I would put it in the 72 if it is eating some right now start feeding it garlic.

Kaye
Here is the thing it's better to lose one fish, PBT, then to have the fish affect the whole tank and lose other fish from the main tank. If the 7g is to small you can always get a larger tupperware container or a larger empty tank.
Old 08/14/2004, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I would leave him in the 7 until he has significantly gained back weight.... the transfer may do more harm than good in this case. 1-2 more weeks will not harm him that severely... yeah, it is very small, but you are having success for the time being.
Old 08/14/2004, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

Here is a good article in PBT http://www.wetwebmedia.com/powdbluetg.htm
Old 08/14/2004, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Thanks all for the responses. I will leave the PBT in the 7 gallon because honestly, it looks really happy in there. There is a nice live rock cave for him to hide in and as soon as i approach the tank it does a little dance asking me to feed him! Its currently scarfing down nori, and downing all the formula one pellets i give it.

I will wait till it fattens up and then will reward the PBT with a bigger tank, 72 gallon (not that big, but for a 3inch okay for now).

Will keep you all posted,
Steven