Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2003, 10:03 AM
VILP

Awesome pictures Lefty!!! My Warty (Bumpkin) hardly ever lures, but I hope to capture a good shot of it one day.

Keep the pictures coming - I love them!

Cheri
Old 11/12/2003, 03:39 PM
Premium Member

Just though I'd throw this link up. It has a lot of cool pics...http://www.starfish.ch/frogfish/Photo.html
Old 11/12/2003, 04:30 PM
VILP

Wow! What a cool website! Thanks for sharing the link!

Cheri
Old 11/12/2003, 05:25 PM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Here are some pics of the one we saw in Maui. We were diving at "Three Caves" aka "Three Graves".

Angler Shot 1

Angler Shot 2

Angler Shot 3
Old 11/12/2003, 06:00 PM
I EAT FISH

Where did you guys get your frogfish's?? My LFS had a yellow one for $120!!! OUCH. He was only 2" long
Old 11/12/2003, 06:29 PM
PKSN

My angler has been breathing hard all day. He had the feeding stick in his mouth last night, so he may have scraped something in there. Sometimes it looks like he is trying to push sometihing out of his mouth.

Any ideas?
Old 11/12/2003, 07:33 PM
VILP

Spanker - OMG! That thing is HUGE! I know my yellow one is a Warty and will only get about 4" but the other one hasn't been identified...here's crossing my fingers it won't get THAT big!

blkwrxwgn - I got both of mine from a private individual that buys from a wholesaler. If you check the typical online vendors that sell marine fish, a few of them sometimes have frogfish.

Lefty - wish I knew what to tell you. He didn't hit the surface at all getting his food did he? Hopefully you know that one of the dangers to frogfish is swallowing air. That's the reason they should never be net-caught and lifted out of the water into the air. If you get no response here, you might ask for help from the crew at WetWebMedia. There are a couple of people there that seem to know a fair amount about frogfish.

Cheri
Old 11/12/2003, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

Just wanted everyone to know how much I enjoyed all the pics shared

Lefty.....hope your little guy is going to be okay. My white warty "Lumpy" started breathing heavy one night and I assumed he had picked up a parasite from the live chromis he had been eating. I copper treated him and lost him......hope you can get some good advice from those in the know.....

Fishy1
Old 11/13/2003, 02:10 AM
My Name is Inigo Montoya

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef Cherie
Spanker - OMG! That thing is HUGE! I know my yellow one is a Warty and will only get about 4" but the other one hasn't been identified...here's crossing my fingers it won't get THAT big!
Yea, when the divemaster pulled it out of the rocks I thought it was a large sponge at first, but then when he let it go, I was like "WHOA! AN ANGLER!!!" It was quite funny to watch it try to swim away "fast". That animal just doesn't do anything, except for eat, fast.
Old 11/13/2003, 06:25 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

cherie you have a good looking frog fish, he looks cool and funny
Old 11/13/2003, 08:33 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by Myladyfish
cherie you have a good looking frog fish, he looks cool and funny
Thanks Myladyfish! I probably have a warped sense of cuteness, but I love the funny looks of all these frogfish...but then again, I love Basset Hounds for the same reason!

Cheri
Old 11/13/2003, 09:54 AM
PKSN

Damn. Mine died overnight.
Old 11/13/2003, 09:58 AM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear that Lefty.
Chris
Old 11/13/2003, 10:06 AM
PKSN

Yeah it sucks.
Anyone know the symptoms of copper on a frog fish?
Old 11/13/2003, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

When my warty started breathing heavy like yours did, I added Cupramine.....the first dose that is, and by morning he was dead. I always thought that it was the copper, but after hearing about your frog maybe he would have died anyway......not from the copper. So sorry to hear about your loss......he was quite the good looking chap! I still have the pics of my white warty to remind me of just how cute he was. I really miss him but somehow could never bring myself to cough up $130.00 for another one. I sometimes wonder if they don't have something internal going on that we have no control over and that they would have died in the wild too.........again, I'm sorry for your loss.......

Fishy1
Old 11/13/2003, 10:22 AM
VILP

Really sorry to hear that Lefty !! Did you ever figure out anything in particular that you thought might have been the problem? Do you think a parasite (as someone mentioned) might have been a possibility? Where is the definitive Frogfish book that helps us diagnose, treat and do preventative things?

Cheri
Old 11/13/2003, 10:26 AM
PKSN

The only thing I can think of is the feeding stick did some damage, but I am finding that hard to believe. The other thing is that I added a fake sponge to the tank, and it could have had copper, but I really doubt it. The corals in the tank are fine.
Maybe a parasite? Anyone have any ideas on profalactic treatments.

I want a new froggie. I just wanna find out what happened first. (even though I know a store that has many)
Old 11/13/2003, 10:31 AM
PKSN

I guess he could have had a gut blockage as well. He has been eating krill for the past coulple of weeks.
Old 11/13/2003, 10:37 AM
Registered Member

My current frog Dudley has accidently taken the feeding stick into his mouth before with no ill effects. So, like you, I would be hesitant to believe that it was the cause of his problem. I purchased a red painted barnacle for his tank to encourage him to stay red. It was printed on the wrapper "safe for saltwater." Is there a chance he was poisoned from the coloring on the artificial sponge? Was it saltwater safe? Just a passing thought........

Fishy1
Old 11/13/2003, 10:42 AM
VILP

Unless the frogfish came to you with a parasite already, my understanding is that feeding unquarantined live fish (that you haven't raised yourself) is the biggest culprit for inadvertently introducing a parasite. I was advised to quarantine any fish that would end up becoming frogfish food for two weeks. If you've always fed thawed frozen food, that shouldn't be an issue.

I can't think of any reason why fake sponge should have copper unless it was used previously in a tank treated with it.

Cheri
Old 11/13/2003, 10:47 AM
PKSN

Mine had taken the feeding stick in several times with no problem as well.

The fake sponge came from a LFS, and I don't know if it was used or not. I don't think it was.

I have read a few post here and there about froggies doing exactly what mine did - everything is fine, breathe hard and die. But there seems to be no real explanation for the problem, or advice about what to do when it happens.

Any ideas?
Old 11/13/2003, 11:06 AM
VILP

My only two thoughts are:

1) Post the question in the Fish Disease Treatment forum (maybe there are resident frogfish experts on RC that haven't seen this thread)

2) Post the question to the WetWebMedia crew. At least two people on their crew seem to know quite a bit about frogfish keeping

The only other person I know of that knows a lot about Frogfish is Scott Michael. I think he is affiliated with CoralRealm (www.coralrealm.com), but when I asked their crew a question about frogfish, I never got any reply at all.

I'd sure like to know more. As with all my fish and reef critters, it is always frustrating when the collective knowledge of the hobby still falls short of all or even most of the answers.

Cheri
Old 11/13/2003, 11:13 AM
Moved On

Cool post...and some great pictures. I always wanted one of these guys but it's looks like they need their own tank.
Old 11/13/2003, 11:30 AM
VILP

Quote:
Originally posted by jcigars
Cool post...and some great pictures. I always wanted one of these guys but it's looks like they need their own tank.
Pretty much - they are rather indiscriminate about having their tankmates for a snack!

Cheri
Old 11/19/2003, 02:12 AM
Club Euroreef

Here's Lumpy.

"Oh ya - I missed one important point. There are other ways to deal with phosphates like phosphate sponges, but it's kind of like trying to fan the stink off a dead skunk." -looser