Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/31/2006, 05:10 PM
Queen Premium Member

Short and sweet, my 24 gallon nano

Well, it's official, I have started the process of my 24 back up, with a slight upgrade. I originally had the JBJ 24 gallon with standard PC lighting that it came with. Totally not enough light for anything but some mushrooms and low light corals. Not what I want i nthis tank, so, I removed the entire hood and lights and ordered the Sunpod 150 with 12 moon lights. I can either place the lights right on top of my tank, or put them on the legs they come with. I will put them on the legs probably.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/metal_SunPod.htm

Then, I was really getting bummed because the Fission nano skimmer is completly out of stock everywhere, and I really want a skimmer, so I was reading about th eskimmer and really, it's best for up to 12 gallons, well, mine is 24 gallons and I plan to have a large bio load(I always do )
SO, I thought, well this isn't the skimmer for me anyway! So I thought, better to over skim than not to skim at all! SO, I purchased the Aqua Remora hang on back skimmer. I had a remora Pro for my 75 and it was awesome, so I just got the smaller one with a maxi jet 1200. I have already measured and talked to the people and they said it should fit right on the back of my JbJ.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...mers_aquac.htm

Then I ordered a small pump Rio 6hf(but bigger than what my cube came with) for the return. I also plan on a small power head somewhere else in the tank.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/rio_hyper.html

Then I ordered 2 of the Coralife digital power center to have my lights on different intervals.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/timers_digital.htm

Then I ordered from Nanocustoms.com their surface skimmer for the JBJ.

http://nanotuners.nanocustoms.com/na...roducts_id=143

I have talked with a couple different companies. I shouldn't need a chiller or a heater. SO, that saves me some money.

I should receive my items in 2 days on Thursday. I plan to buy sand that day and fill the tank with water. Then I'll buy some live rock and wait for my cycle.

Eventually I'd like to have some clams(baby maximas), SPS, LPS, some softies, RBTA, pair of clowns and some colorful gobies, ornamental shrimp(bumblebees, sexy and glass anemone) and go from there.

If any of you have any suggestions to help me better this set up, PLEASE don't hesitate to tell me.

Thanks for reading and I'll post pics as I recieve things.

Amanda
Old 01/31/2006, 08:51 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Sounds like you are off to a wonderful start!

Are you going to get your rock locally?

Good luck, and keep up with progress!
Old 01/31/2006, 09:41 PM
Queen Premium Member

Ya, I"ll go to Moby Dick's on Thurs. I'll get my rock and sand. I can hardley wait!!!
Old 01/31/2006, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Location: Gonzales (b/t New Orleans and Baton Rouge), Louisiana
Welcome back Amanda!
Sounds like your new setup is going to be awesome! Two things though.....1) Might want to research the rio pump you will be using....prone to oil seeping out into the aquarium-- Mag Drive better option IMO, use the rio for water changes
2) Their is proof that the coralife powerstrip has caused a house fire The thread was posted here a good many months ago.

Cant wait for pictures though
Good luck
-Chris
Old 02/01/2006, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

Hi..sounds like lots of good work and research Amanda. However, to help others to keep from getting discouraged, below is a list of corals that I have been successfully keeping under stock lighting for almost 9 months. Unless you want SPS and clams, the stock lighting is fine for having a stunning tank. Remember, it's not just lighting. It's consistent water changes, positioning in the tank, correct water flow and FEEDING your corals even tho' they are labelled 'photosynthetic'.

Actinodiscus:red, green, blue mushrooms
Tubipora musica, pipe organ
Sarcophyton elegans, yellow Fiji leather
Acanthastrea echinata, rainbow acan
Zooanthids
Nemanzophyllia, fox coral
Ricordea florida
Pterogia sp, purple sea whip
Euphyllia ancora, anchor coral
Caulastrea curvata, trumpet coral
Tubastrea aurea, sun coral (not photosynthetic)
Fungia, orange plate coral
Trachyphyllia wellsii, open brain
Favites sp

Hope this helps. SH
Old 02/01/2006, 07:00 AM
Queen Premium Member

Chris, thank you so much fot the info, I had no idea about those 2 items!!!! Do you know if it was that exact power strip? I ordered the digital, but there is a manual one, do you remember which one exactly? Also, about the pump, you are right, it is cheap, but I was looking more at the size. I'll play with it outside of the tank before putting it in.

I plan on keeping SPS and clams, that is my main reason for th eupgrade in lighting.

It's nice to be back, it's been almost a year since I sold my 75 gallon and found I was pregnant, it went by so fast!

Amanda
Old 02/01/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

Location: Gonzales (b/t New Orleans and Baton Rouge), Louisiana
Heres a link to one of the treads
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=580767
i think it might have been the manual ones, i think.

-Chris
Old 02/01/2006, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

I'm doing the same thing you are...LOL
Instead of the Sunpod, I use the Odyssea fixture. Instead of the Remora, I used my old CPR BakPak. I also use a SCWD + MJ1200 closed loop and a MJ1200 for the return.
The tank is mostly used for LPS, zoas, softies so far. I've also added an RBTA and a couple of cleaner shrimps.
Here are some weeks from a few weeks back. I hope they work!

Old 02/02/2006, 08:30 AM
Queen Premium Member

WOW! Looks awesome, I'm so glad you posted that, it is very similar to how mine will look!!!!!

Well, today I receive my sunpod and remora, couple pumps, timers. Yesterday I added the water(premixed), about 20 pounds of awesome live rock, and about 4 pounds of rubble to the back left chamber. This rock is covered with orange, yellow and green sponge, brittle stars, feather dusters and some cool algae. Hopefully no other hitchhikers though, like ones that click.
I plan to pick up the rest of my live rock and do my aquascaping today. I'll also be placing an order from inland aquatics for a detrivore kit(all my pods) to seed the tank with. I think I will also order a bag of live mysid to seed the tank with as well. I also need to add CA today. I'll post pics after my aquascaping.

Amanda
Old 02/02/2006, 08:31 AM
Queen Premium Member

OH, I also forgot, I added a 20 pound bag of fine arragalive sand and 10 pounds of crushed coral.
Old 02/02/2006, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

you seem to be ready to make something good
Old 02/02/2006, 08:01 PM
Queen Premium Member

First pics...

Ok, all in all, I'm very happy!!!!! Everything works and fits perfect! My only issue is, I have a bagillion micro bubbles, what do I do???? I know it's from the skimmer, but what do I do?

Also, I have about 26 pounds of rock. It's not a lot, but gives me lots of room for adding corals!!!!!

Amanda
Old 02/02/2006, 08:09 PM
Reefin'

Nice Tank .....good luck and i always liked a tank that was less crowded to add corals it gives some breathing room

Ichthyophobia - fear of fish
Old 02/02/2006, 09:28 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Looking good Amanda. Rocks look sweet and it seems like it is on its way of becomming something nice.

The micro bubbles will go away with time. As the skimmer breaks in, micro bubbles will decrease.

The only problem I see is that the CC will trap your foods and cuase high nitrates. You should have put the CC under the sand.

I wish I ordered a pod pack from IA. I totally forgot about it untill now
Old 02/03/2006, 06:55 AM
Queen Premium Member

I'm using the exact same sand mix as I had in the 75 gallon and I never had a problem with trapped food in there. Then again, I had a great clean up crew.

I get my pods from IA today!!!
Old 02/03/2006, 10:58 AM
Touch me...Love me

Nice setup!!!

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone
Old 02/03/2006, 01:40 PM
Queen Premium Member

I got my pods today!!!!! I ordered a starter detrivore kit and an extra bag of mysis/gamarus from Inland aquatics, man, my tank is ALIVE!!!!! Also, I'm seeing all kinds of critters all over my live rock! Tons of red feather dusters, spahgetti worms, stomatella snails. And with my kit I received 6 red and 6 blue legged crabs, they are munching away at the live rock. This is awesome!!!

OH, BTW, my skimmer is pumping out tons of skimmate now and there are less micro bubbles.

Today I'll be adding CA and checking parameters. I'll let you know what they are later.

Amanda
Old 02/03/2006, 01:45 PM
TRC Leader

Looking good Amanda! I think the amount of rock and the aquascaping is perfect.

Glad to hear the skimmer is now producing, a lot quicker then I had anticipated.
Old 02/03/2006, 02:17 PM
Queen Premium Member

Hey Baby Gigas, I need bumblebees!!!!!!!!!
Old 02/03/2006, 03:18 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

I could be wrong... but wont some of the kit and clean up crew die in the cycle? Once the nitrites and ammonia rise... i would think a lot of living matter in the tank dies.

Agree or disagree?

BTW- POST MORE PICTURES!
Old 02/03/2006, 04:19 PM
Queen Premium Member

Well, When I received the live rock, it had critters all over it, mostly snails and a couple crabs. Also, this is my 3rd time setting a tank up the exact same way, I have yet to have this way of doing things fail. Also, you have to remember, I have a skimmer powerful enough for up to a 75 gallon tank skimming 20 gallons(or less after all the rock added) of water. This along with water changes should be fine. I'll post some pics and parameters later.

Also, I bought precured rock from a local store. It wasn't fresh out of the ocean. And the sand I used was arragalive.

Amanda
Old 02/03/2006, 05:05 PM
I wish I had more money..

Welcome Back!

Amanda,
Great to see you have started a thread to cover your new tank. Many will learn a lot following along! I know I always do.
John
(p.s. hope family is doing good...I can't believe it's been a year since you shut down the 75)
Old 02/03/2006, 06:21 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by AEALOVESHERGIRLS
Hey Baby Gigas, I need bumblebees!!!!!!!!!
Awwww bumblebees!!!
Old 02/03/2006, 06:22 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Ok... well sounds good.

I was just watching out for ya!
Old 02/03/2006, 08:57 PM
Queen Premium Member

John, great to see you too!!!!!!!!!!

OK, now that the lights are off, and I'm peaking in the tank, this is what I have found for hitchhikers so far....

Tons of brittle stars, some huge(like 3 inches) and some tiny
Tons of mini coco worms(red)
Tons of tube worms(brown)
Isopods(not sure if the good kind or the bad), they have been grazing on the live rock
Some type of porcelin crab/filter feeding crab he is tiny and grey
Some kind of coral, hard bony skeleton with sweepers

Also, my mysid and detrivore bugs are doing great! They are everywhere.
All my blue and red legged crabs are munching away at the rock
I didn't get a chance to test tonight, however, I did a 2 1/2 gallon water change. Thskimmer is pulling lots of skimmate out and the temp is 78 degrees and SG is 1.026.

Here are a couple pics. Dummy me took pics after turkey basting the debreis off the rocks, not a good idea! Kinda cloudy.

Amanda