Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/20/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Deadly Spike in SG

I have a 72 Gl reef W/ Overflow, Sump (divided into thirds....drain is split 75% of drain goes into the skimmer side (left), the remaining 25% goes into the fuge side (right), both overflow into a center return section. In the fuge side, I have a 4" sand bed, approx. 15 lbs of LR rubble, and a medium sized ball of chaeto.

I tested water last week

Nitrates - 0-2
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - 0
PH - 7.9
SG 1.023 (a little high for my tank...it's usually .20 to .21
Temp 80.3

I left for the long weekend and returned to find my BTA's melted to nothing, Pulsing Xenia heads all melted, Torch heads melted, zoanthids all closed, Blasto heads all melted, Frogspawn withdrawn, button polyps closed....you get the picture. All fish look healthy (Purple Tang, Flasher Wrasse, 2 Percula's (searching for their BTA), White Sleeper Goby.

I did a 20% water change immediately, as it was due anyway. The only thing that had changed was my skimmer (pump went out so I had my reefsitter unplug it).

The water has a foul smell (assuming it's due to the die off of the corals?). I started to run tests this morning and my SG is off the charts! Like....1.040 and that's AFTER a major water change yesterday.

Any idea what would cause such a spike in SG? I had pre-mixed water for my reefsitter to top off with, and it was mixed to 1.020.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm off to go get more water....would say...a 50% water change of very low salinity be advised?
As much as 1.040 scares the life out of me, dropping it to the .20 - .22 range in one fell swoop could be just as deadly couldn't it?

V/R,
Rob
Old 02/20/2007, 03:05 PM
a Buffer fish

I would work on getting the SG back down to nsw levels. Get to 1.026 and all will be good. I think your tank baby sitter maybee did a water change while you were away and did not test the salt levels. So the SG raised.

To get the SG down replace with fresh water with no salt. Dont worry about stability as rainfalls in the ocean can drop SG quite fast.
Old 02/20/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

Wow Rob that sucks! I agree with boxfish, a quick drop in SG is not a major issue, its the spike that hurts.... as you can see. Bring it down with fresh water water changes.
Old 02/20/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Re: Deadly Spike in SG

Quote:
Originally posted by RHagemann
I had pre-mixed water for my reefsitter to top off with, and it was mixed to 1.020.
B-I-N-G-O

Normally would topoff evaporation with freshwater not saltwater.
Old 02/20/2007, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

SG Spike

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I am blending pure RO water back into the tank in 5 Gal increments and monitoring the SG. My goal is to get it to .30 by this evening and eventually back to nsw by tomorrow morning. This is gonna be an all-nighter for sure!

Again, thank you for the responses...I'll keep ya posted.

V/R,
Rob
Old 02/20/2007, 05:44 PM
a Buffer fish

This would be a great time to suck out detritus, fish poo, dead remains ect. Then replace with ro water.
Old 02/21/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Yep, I've already managed to siphon all of that out hoping to minimize the Nitrate spike that's sure to follow. I just checked the SG and it's down to 1.030, which is what I hoped to get it to by tonite, then tomorrow I'll get it back to nsw.

It took 20 Gal of straight RO/DI to drop it to .30, figure I'll check PH in the morning prior to the remaining change just to make sure it hasn't fluxuated with an 80% water change over 2.5 days.

Again, thanks for the input....

Cheers,
Rob