Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Substrate Choice for the new cube?
Thin layer of aragonite 204 84.65%
Bare bottom 37 15.35%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07/19/2006, 04:44 AM
Registered Member

Hello Chad
Magnificent bank!!!
How it now? There are new photos?
Old 07/19/2006, 01:08 PM
Original Zen Cube

Alexey,
Thank you very much for the compliment. I am actually taking a little break from reefkeeping. I am currently restoring an old motorcycle that I bought.
I have sold all of my equipment except for the tank and the cannister filter.
I already miss having it.

Regards,

- Chad
Old 07/20/2006, 04:05 AM
Registered Member

Really it is very a pity. And I wished to ask some questions...
Summing up - as you think it is possible to make in this tank a reef? Whether there will be complexities with current or light?
Old 07/20/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

You're taking a break? We all know its impossible to take a break.
Once youre in you cant get out. You'll be back....

Seriously though, thats a real shame, it was such an immense tank.
Old 07/20/2006, 01:55 PM
Original Zen Cube

Alexey,
I am sorry but I am not sure that I understand the question. If you are asking about my tank, the answer is that it was very well suited to having a nano reef. I had very good lighting and a strong turnover rate.

King,
Thanks mate. I know that you're right, I already miss the setup. I am guessing it won't be too terribly long before I start something back up. ( :

Cheers,

- Chad
Old 08/11/2006, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Just wanted to get in on the thread!!! Awesome tank, you have inspired another!!!!
Old 08/11/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

check this out guys http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...howtopic=89804
Old 08/11/2006, 11:34 AM
Original Zen Cube

vareefer,

Thanks, I'm glad that you liked it!

Cam,

Good to hear from you again buddy. Thanks for the kind words in the NR thread.

Cheers,

- Chad
Old 08/11/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

how bout some update pics
Old 08/11/2006, 04:27 PM
Original Zen Cube

Dan,

Well... actually...
Yesterday morning I packed the tank and the cannnister filter into a large box and shipped it to a buyer in Toronto.
That's right, I sold everything.
One day I looked at the tank and realized that there wasn't anything else I could do on it. Well, I could keep adding corals and watching them grow, but it seemed that I no longer had any challenges to overcome. I started to get bored after that and began toying with the idea of finding an old motorcycle to restore.
I happened to find the right bike and sold all my reef stuff to pay for it.
I am enjoying the sabatical but I can already tell that I will soon be returning to reefing. And I've already starting planning....

- Chad
Old 10/25/2006, 02:25 AM
Registered Member

tag
Old 10/25/2006, 02:25 AM
Registered Member

tag
Old 10/25/2006, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by j2me5ku
tag
If you scroll down below the quick reply box you'll see three links. One of them says, "Subscribe to this thread". If you click on that, you will automatically be subscribed to threads and wont have everyone who is paying attention to it get notified that someone has posted, only to find out that someone has merely "tagged" onto the thread.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 11/05/2006, 09:35 PM
Original Zen Cube

Actually this thread is pretty much dead and I won't be posting here anymore.
Luckily for me though, I am already back in the hobby and working on a new project. If you have questions, or even just want to stop by and chat, I will be posting here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=965925

Thanks for all your interest and best of luck in your reefkeeping.

- Chad
Old 12/31/2006, 11:38 PM
Original Zen Cube

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys, but...

A friend just brought it to my attention that an online company is using a photo of my 12" cube to advertise on their website:

http://ac-nc.com/Saltwater_Aquarium_Products.htm

The funny thing about it, is that is probably the worst picture I took of that tank - it was back when I first set it up and the corals had not yet filled in, and I had not moved it to the hole in the top of the desk so it is leaning against the wall, half off the desk. The moral of the story: Don't trust what you see on the internet, anyone can copy and paste and make themselves look like a legitamate business.

Here is the email I sent them:
Hello,
It has been brought to my attention that you are using a photo of an aquarium, that I "Designed : Built : Maintained" to advertise on your site. The fact that you are using it for a commercial venture without getting permission or giving proper recognition, bothers me a great deal. This is the photo in question:

http://ac-nc.com/images/Products_1.jpg

I took that picture while the tank was temporarily against a wall and it doesn't even look as good as the tank did when it was set up properly - I seriously doubt that any benefit derived from the false advertising will outweigh the negative attention it will get in my different threads online.

True to my word,

- Chad
Old 01/01/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

Isn't what they did illegal? BTW, still love that tank.
Old 01/01/2007, 02:26 AM
Original Zen Cube

Dan,
Thanks for the compliment! I don't know if what they did is illegal or not. I posted the photos in the forums here and I doubt if I have any control over what people do with it after that...
I just thought that people should be warned about a company that would misrepresent itself like that... after seeing this, I wouldn't trust them with my business.

- Chad
Old 01/01/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Chad IIRC, if they are using your property, (the image) for profit, (advertising their "Design, build, maintain" business) without your permisson and /or compensating you for using your image, they are breaking copyright laws. You took the image, there for it is your property.

If you send them a cease and desist email, and they dont comply, I believe you have legal grounds for lawsuit. This being internet related, that might mean you get to choose the venue of any court proceedings....and last time I checked, Durham NC was nowhere near Calgary Canada....so traveling up there to defend themselves might not be cost effective.

I'd consider sending them a few hi res images of the cube in its later glory stages, (watermarked with your name all over the place) and explain to them you'd be willing to loan them the images for their business if you were properly compensated.

Ordinarily, I'm the last one to suggest lawsuit for money....but if they're misrepresenting your work for their financial gain, go for it.

Nick
Old 01/02/2007, 01:29 AM
Original Zen Cube

Nick,
Thanks for the headsup brother. At the very least that gives me something to threaten them with!

Cheers,

- Chad
Old 01/03/2007, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Aren't you a policeman Chad?
Old 01/03/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Unless you Copyright the picture anything placed on the web is considered public domain. Therefore they can use it without the photographers consent. Copyright law wasnt my strong point in law school but basically thats the gist of it. Thats why you see some hobbyists here put their mark on their pictures for this intended purpose.
Old 01/03/2007, 12:54 PM
Original Zen Cube

celron - good point.

scowiii - that's kinda what I was wondering. When I placed the photos on the net, I didn't care if hobbiests saved it and used it for whatever they wanted. If that is what happened here, I wouldn't have a problem. I am just bothered by the fact that this company is using my tank to get money from potential customers. The glass in my tank was built by InterAmerican, a professional builder that does good work, and then I brought it to life and made it work. I think it is obvious that Saltwater Aquarium Products is incapable of building a tank like this - if they could, they would have made their own to photograph, not pirate someone elses picture...
They are tricking customers unto buying their inferior product...

- Chad
Old 01/03/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

I would contact the company in a professional manner and ask them to remove the picture from their site. And see where it will go from there. If they dont the best thing I can tell you is word of mouth and posting on any salt water forums and so forth to spread the word about this company will damage their credibility in the industry. Hope that helps.
Old 02/09/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Any word on this situtation?
I looked at the link you provided and didn't see the picture.

How have things turned out?
Old 02/09/2007, 08:11 PM
Original Zen Cube

hey,
They sent me an email with kind of a lame explanation of why they were using the photo - but they did apologize and remove the picture from the site.
So I am satisfied with how it was resolved. If it wasn't for all the interest that fellow reefers showed here, I probably never would have heard from them.

- Chad