Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 03:59 AM
Registered Member

Protein Skimmer -> help me pick

I am going to buy a protein skimmer for my 20 gallon tank. So far my tank is a fowlr tank w/ the exception of 3 pink feather dusters. I am going to add corals as the tank matures and as I become more experienced.
Which one of these protein skimmers is best from your experiences (because these are in my affordable price range)?

(1) Taam Rio Nano Skimmer
-The Rio Nano Skimmer features a compact design that has an adjustable variable venturi with exclusive air/water mixing chamber. This Nano Skimmer is ozone compatible and has an adjustable flow control. This skimmer also uses filter cartridge with activated carbon for additional mechanical and chemical filtration. The pump, which is included has a flow rate of 110 GPH and is suitable for aquariums up to 20 Gallons in size.

(2) Aquarium Systems Visi-Jet Protein Skimmer
-Visi-jet is an economical protein skimmer for aquariums up to 70 gallons. Visi-jet ps has a turbo-venturitm injector system to mix filtered air and water within the pump impeller chamber, creating a froth of micro-bubbles for maximum skimming efficiency. The built-in flow meter provides accurate visual monitoring of true flow volume through the pump and into the protein skimmer. Micro-bubbles contribute to improved gas exchange. Dissolved organic compounds are separated from water to produce a concentrated foam mixture of waste products that is pushed up the column into the foam collection receptacle where it can be easily discarded. The directional output sends oxygen-rich water down and out into the aquarium. Visi-jet(r)ps protein skimmer uses a prefilter to filter out large particulates, algae, and aquarium animals, preventing them from entering the pump impeller chamber.

(3) Current USA Fission Nano Skimmer
-Ideal for all nano-reef aquariums, the Fission Nano-Skimmer is the worlds smallest protein skimmer, measuring a mere 6.5" high and 2" in diameter. Powered by an energy efficient air injection pump, the patented Fission skimmer rips bubbles into a vortex foam froth, breaking apart proteins and organics and efficiently removing them from your Nano-home. Easy-to-install, this nano-skimmer packs the power of fission into pint sized perfection creating a safe and clear environment. Includes a 84 gph (320 L/hr) submersible air injection pump, protein skimmer, suction cups for mounting, hanging clip, two connection elbows and six bubble reducing pads. Up to 30 U.S. Gallons

Thanks.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

I've been impressed with the Rio Nano, for the price. It doesn't compare to a "good" skimmer, but it pulls just fine from my 10 gallon nano.

Recent aquisitions:
Coral -> Ponape Seriatopora
Fish -> Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse)
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 01/03/2008, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

Aqua C Nano
Old 01/03/2008, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by warrenm107
Aqua C Nano
Which is $130 and well above the prices of the skimmers he posted, "in his price range."

Read, think, then post.

Recent aquisitions:
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 01/03/2008, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

[violation]

Last edited by beerguy; 01/03/2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Fission is a waste of money, stay away!!!
Old 01/03/2008, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

Visa-jet is not good either.. Save your money and do not buy that one.=)
Old 01/03/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

Aqua C Remoras are nice for small tanks, CPR's Bak Pak Should be good too I have both of them and like them.
I bought a CPR used for 15 bucks, just added a maxi1200 and runs great, as good as the new Remora for 130
Old 01/03/2008, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

read think then post ,,,, a little harsh for someones opinon.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carnavor180
read think then post ,,,, a little harsh for someones opinon.
Perhaps, but the opinion wasn't constructive and the poster surely wasn't helping the OP with a recommendation for a skimmer 3 times the cost of the OPs budget.

Recent aquisitions:
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 01/04/2008, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~RS1135.html < i like this one!

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 01/04/2008, 03:28 AM
Registered Member

does it have to be a hang on skimmer? if not, go with a tunze nano 9002
Old 01/04/2008, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by petes97
Perhaps, but the opinion wasn't constructive and the poster surely wasn't helping the OP with a recommendation for a skimmer 3 times the cost of the OPs budget.
Why don't you work on not running your mouth. How do you know what is out of the person's price range. Maybe they are a good shopper. This is my hobby and I prefer to enjoy it, rather than be annoyed by people like you. An opinion is just that, take it or leave it, who made you the judge.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

The tunze nano is cool, but takes up more space than people realize due to the large collection cup. The red sea stuff is not that good either. Id look for a used aqua c remora, they are always in the used forum. Also, consider turning a aqua clear into a refugium and skip the skimmer. The tank is so tiny, you shouldnt have a big bioload, get enough lr, and a fuge, and do water changes, your tank will run great.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

out of those I would go with the Aqua-C