Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

PPE, Is it a goner?

I bought a polyp of PPE of the internet about 6 days ago. When they arrived they looked like this:

Now they look like this:

Havent seen them open yet. All my parameter are in the norm, gave an hour of drip acclimation before I placed them in the tank. All my other zoos and palys are open, fat and happy?

Is the polyped ****ed or is it saying bye-bye?

Thanks in advance

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds. - B.M.
Old 11/18/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

it gone. didnt look so good from the get go. i would have sent that first pic to the website u got it from upon recieving the coral incase that happened.
Old 11/18/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Looks like it on its way out.Hope you can get a replacement.
Old 11/18/2007, 11:01 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Are you sure its a TRUE PPE? I don't see the typical dots and white lines that PE's show when theyre closed. I have about 20-25 of TRUE Blane Perun PPEs and they don't look like that. Can I ask where did you get them from? and did you use next day air ? You didn't dip it right? they don't do well from dips..

" Charles V "
Old 11/18/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I did send the guy a pix. Question, he sent the poyp to me in a wet paper towel, is this a normal way to ship palys?

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds. - B.M.
Old 11/18/2007, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

if it is a true pe , they are odd in the way handle stress and look like they are goner but then open right up. i would move it around place it low and leave it for now. i agree with delsol650 and the markings or tatoos that most true pe's have but when streess, for a pe, they can close up even over the markings.

at this point let me be and give it time. took a couple of pe's i got more them 3 weeks to start to open. now that they have been open for a while that have even color morphed in my MH lights and look far better then when i got them
Old 11/19/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Until it is open up, otherwise it is hard to tell what it is. I always get my corals in a bag with some water when they are shipped to me. I've read an article describing how to ship zoa's wrapped in wet paper towels. But I wouldn't dare, especially with the high end zoa's.
Old 11/19/2007, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

delsol650,
I bought it on ebay. CoralMarineLife. From when Fedex pickup to my door was exactly 24hours. No dip, but acclimated at least 1 hour. (So jealous you have 20-25!! Fragging any out? )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=016

killingseed
I looked at it again this morning and it looked even smaller. I fear the worst. But I am a " glass half full" person so mabe it'll rebound.

jeweldamsel
Yeah, I never recieved any zoos or palys before wrapped in wet paper towels before. Curious...

I contacted the guy I bought it from and unfortunately he states its not covered under his policy because it a Limited item, but he did say he would throw another one in if I spend at least what I paid for it.

Live and learn I guess. It was my first time buying corals from ebay. He had a lot of positive feedback and all but.. On a positive note, I bought a bunch of stuff of RC members throught the other forum and their all doing super. Probably should stick to reputable and respected RC members

Thanks for your comments guys!

Old 11/19/2007, 11:18 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

I'm still growing them out as I had 1 frag from Steve Tyree himself that got chomped up by ampipods. so I'm down to 3 frags now. I'm waiting till I hit 40+ polyps before I start fragging.

I've only given my true PPE's to a handfull of friends around my area. But get back to me in a while

" Charles V "
Old 11/19/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

amphipods eats zoos and palys?????

Old 11/19/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Good question. My zoa's don't like them.
Old 11/19/2007, 09:17 PM
On The M0VE

Yes they do... My pods love eating my RPE's
Old 11/19/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

it's gone!
Old 11/19/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

what is a ppe I like exotic zoanthids but I've never heard of it
Old 11/19/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

Purple People Eater
Old 11/20/2007, 12:02 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Yeah, I just made a couple of frags for a couple of fellow reefers, Tubs Blues, Rainbow palys, PPE's and a couple others... ALL gone since the Large Ampipods can smell them at night since I put them in the bottom of the tank.. they got eaten up within a couple days.. ( YES I WITNESS THIS ACCOUNTS AT NIGHT WITH A RED LIGHT ).

I now put them up in the middle of the tank on trays were the pods are less likely to go to since its too far from the main rocks and sand.

A couple of new frags haven't been touched since being up the trays.

" Charles V "
Old 11/20/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

It sounds scary. Would it be a good idea to keep a six line wrasse as watch dog?
Old 11/20/2007, 12:39 AM
Registered Member

It's never a good idea to pay so much for a single polyp. This zoa craze is way over priced.
Old 11/20/2007, 12:50 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

I had/have various wrasses as watch dogs... now I keep a leopard, yellow coris and blue sided fairy wrasses teamed up with a target mandarin.

" Charles V "
Old 11/20/2007, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, but do any of those fish eat at night when the amphipods are out eating? I am having the same issue, the pods seem to prefer my PE types.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:11 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

No pod eating fish really hunts at night, they take out as much as they can find in the day time... Large ampipods just took out some new green zoos I got a couple weeks ago... sux's as its greenish with daylights but when attinics are only on... it has 4-6 differnt colors.. insane too. never seen this morph before too.

which is why my 37cube will not house current rockwork by base rock only.

" Charles V "
Old 11/21/2007, 10:11 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

No pod eating fish really hunts at night, they take out as much as they can find in the day time... Large ampipods just took out some new green zoos I got a couple weeks ago... sux's as its greenish with daylights but when attinics are only on... it has 4-6 differnt colors.. insane too. never seen this morph before too.

which is why my 37cube will not house current rockwork by base rock only.

" Charles V "