Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/01/2006, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

My tank runs between 78 & 80, and everything seems pretty happy.

Love the pictures Dennis & Pat. Makes me want to get a better camera However, I think I'm saving up for some different lights. Although I keep changing my mind between MH & T5s

I did have a small mishap in my tank last week. My frogspawn decided to jump off it's rock and unfortunately landed on my favites. I moved it back to it's spot and thought it was ok. But the head of the frogspawn that was touching the favites is now dying I hope I just loose the 1 head (I've got about 10 on it).
Old 03/01/2006, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

How did it jump off it's rock?
Old 03/01/2006, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
How did it jump off it's rock?
I assume one of the tank inhabitants actually pushed it off. I'm not sure how long it was down near the favites. Everything was fine when I went to work and when I got back it was laying at the bottom.
Old 03/01/2006, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

I heard the dogs going crazy, then the doorbell rang. Got to the door to see UPS guy getting into the truck to leave. He left 2 packages at the door....one being the lights!!

You wouldn't believe the shape of the box! I took some pictures and will post them in a few minutes.
I'm sure they shipped the lights back in the box Bob paid $48 for.

Luckily, the lights work! Bob is putting them back up now. Being all the bulbs were good, we're going to still use the old bulbs, and we still have 6 new bulbs for when we need them.
Old 03/01/2006, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I heard the dogs going crazy, then the doorbell rang. Got to the door to see UPS guy getting into the truck to leave. He left 2 packages at the door....one being the lights!!

You wouldn't believe the shape of the box! I took some pictures and will post them in a few minutes.
I'm sure they shipped the lights back in the box Bob paid $48 for.

Luckily, the lights work! Bob is putting them back up now. Being all the bulbs were good, we're going to still use the old bulbs, and we still have 6 new bulbs for when we need them.
YAY! You'll have to post pics when you get the lights back up so we can compare the difference
Old 03/01/2006, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by krajacich
YAY! You'll have to post pics when you get the lights back up so we can compare the difference
I will. I just hope Bob is able to get them back up. Evidently, he had to cut one side of the suspension cables to get them down, and the end is frayed now, so he's trying to solder the end so it will slip thru.
Old 03/01/2006, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

How the lights arrived:

They must be pretty tough lights to survive that and still work.
Old 03/01/2006, 12:30 PM
Premium Member

Now you know why he dropped and ran.

No different than when I ordered bulbs and the UPS box was bent in half.

Old 03/01/2006, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
Now you know why he dropped and ran.

No different than when I ordered bulbs and the UPS box was bent in half.

I remember that....your bulb didn't make it. I guess I'm glad we didn't have any bulbs in ours.
Old 03/01/2006, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

Pat,

I have 3 caps in the tank now. The light green with baby blue that I mentioned already, the pink cap (definitely not flat near the middle though ), and a Green with Purple/Blue rim.

If they all continue to grow quickly, I'll send you a piece of each.

Now I just need to deal with my Tunze issue. Seems that both pumps decided to stop working last night. Maybe they're dirty but I can't imagine them getting that calcium'd up in 2 months to the point they no longer push water. I wouldn't think that would cause the lights to dim on the controller either. But what do I know.
Old 03/01/2006, 04:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Pat, I have 3 caps in the tank now. The light green with baby blue that I mentioned already, the pink cap (definitely not flat near the middle though ), and a Green with Purple/Blue rim.
If they all continue to grow quickly, I'll send you a piece of each.

Now I just need to deal with my Tunze issue. Seems that both pumps decided to stop working last night. Maybe they're dirty but I can't imagine them getting that calcium'd up in 2 months to the point they no longer push water. I wouldn't think that would cause the lights to dim on the controller either. But what do I know.
No, that doesn't sound good....or normal. Ask Roger in the Tunze forum and see what he says.

No problem on the monti's....we still have a while to go before it warms up. Especially with the snow storm coming tomorrow.
How about you take a picture of them to show us though!! ??
Old 03/01/2006, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

I will do my best.
Old 03/02/2006, 09:44 AM
Premium Member

Danielle,
How many Serpents do you have left in the tank? Possibly one of them could have knocked your frogspawn off. Mine hasn't, but when I was in taking pictures this morning, it went from the sand, all the way to here:
Old 03/02/2006, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Danielle,
How many Serpents do you have left in the tank? Possibly one of them could have knocked your frogspawn off. Mine hasn't, but when I was in taking pictures this morning, it went from the sand, all the way to here:
I have two left in the tank. I suppose it's possible but I've never seen the serpents up that high. The frogspawn actually sits down in a fairly large cup shape on the end of a rock. I did another water change last night and took a better look at the frogspawn...it looks like I'll just loose the 1 head. The other still look ok.

I took a bunch of pictures last night but didn't get a chance to download any of them to my computer. I'll try to do that tonight and I'll post some if I get any good ones
Old 03/02/2006, 11:59 AM
Premium Member

Of course that will be great to see new pictures Danielle.
Yesterday after Bob got the lights back up, it was too bright in the room to get good pictures. The window lights were reflecting in the tank. So last night I went in and turned the lights on and took a few shots:

right side of tank:

middle:

I forgot to take left side.

Brian....any word on your Tunze?

The tank is so bright compared to what we were using the past few weeks. When Bob put the bulbs back in, I made sure he didn't put the 2 real blue ones on the ends....so we could break up that total blueness. I'm not sure if it's good the way he has them in yet. I don't think I see any blue now.
Old 03/02/2006, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

you prob already considered this - byt you may want to not use full light period for a few days gradually working your way back to whatever you like - so you don't freak/burn the lefe

Quote:
Of course that will be great to see new pictures Danielle.
Yesterday after Bob got the lights back up, it was too bright in the room to get good pictures. The window lights were reflecting in the tank. So last night I went in and turned the lights on and took a few shots:
[IMG]The tank is so bright compared to what we were using the past few weeks. When Bob put the bulbs back in, I made sure he didn't put the 2 real blue ones on the ends....so we could break up that total blueness. I'm not sure if it's good the way he has them in yet. I don't think I see any blue now.
Old 03/02/2006, 02:07 PM
Premium Member

Roger is taking care of me. It appears that one of the streams has something wrong with it and I sent it back this morning for repair.

Quote:
[B]
Brian....any word on your Tunze?

[B]
Old 03/02/2006, 07:01 PM
Premium Member

Picture Time!!!

So it turns out I got a few pictures that turned out pretty good (not Pat or Dennis good, but good )

Old 03/02/2006, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

A few more pics...

I'm now pretty sure that this is a fire coral (no I haven't touched it )

In this close-up you can see the little "hairs" better
Old 03/02/2006, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Very nice pics Danielle!
Old 03/02/2006, 07:32 PM
forever newbie

Don't sell yourself short, Danielle. Those pics are very nice.
Old 03/03/2006, 08:18 AM
Premium Member

Nice pics Danielle!

That sure looks the same as my fire coral.
Old 03/03/2006, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

You should watch that fire coral especially since I see your hammer pretty close to it. Mine has wiped out anything on the rocks that it touches.
Old 03/03/2006, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

i see tbs is back in the water! hmmmmmmmmmmmm, time for tank#4?????
Old 03/03/2006, 09:33 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Brian & Peggy! I was pretty pleased with the pictures. They just don't seem quite as "clean" as Pat & Dennis's pics. They're pics always look like there's no glass and no water surrounding the corals and fish.

Quote:
Originally posted by drk70
You should watch that fire coral especially since I see your hammer pretty close to it. Mine has wiped out anything on the rocks that it touches.
Thanks for the warning Dennis, I'll keep an eye on it. This actually came as a hitchhiker on the rock and hasn't seemed to spread at all. I hope it doesn't spread...I really like my hammer and it's location